House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

oldsport

Dvla Photo Update £20 Fee

This is mainly for information.

DVLA have just written saying I need to update the photo on my license, apparently it happens every 10 years.

And there's a £20 fee!

Anyone else surprised by this?

Guest X-QUORK

Sorry, no. There was a thread on this a while back.

DVLA have just written saying I need to update the photo on my license, apparently it happens every 10 years.

And there's a £20 fee!

For a laugh send them a pic of Saddam Hussein. You never know they may not notice and send you back a Saddam driving licence.

£1000 fine it says

Worse if you get caught driving without a license... which then means uninsured!

I had one of the first lots of these, so saw the article rip round the news, followed 10 days later or so by the letter on the doormat...

Apparently there is some drama about the DVLA 'losing' categories off your license as well - so be careful!

Glad I've managed to avoid going on to those stupid photo ones. Its purpose is supposed to be to say the named person is licenced to drive this or that vehicle, not to say that whoever happens to be holding it is that person.

And there's a £20 fee!

I am. I can't imagine how they do it so cheap. Should be nearer 50 quid. No wonder the country's in such a mess. About time people paid the right price for stuff.

Someone has to keep the property bubble expanding in Swansea!

Edit to add oops on topic :ph34r:

For a laugh send them a pic of Saddam Hussein. You never know they may not notice and send you back a Saddam driving licence.

That would be awesome, even more if you are Saddam Hussein.

Apparently there is some drama about the DVLA 'losing' categories off your license as well - so be careful!

Yeah they do this, when i got my photo license (about 5 years ago, ish) i didnt spot that my motorbike entitlement wasnt on there, didnt even think to look, then about a year ago i wanted to get a motorbike cos i had moved and it was easier to get to work, and lo and behold when i dug out my license i spotted it was gone, too-ed and fro-ed with the dvla for about a month but the upshot was basically "tough, do the test again"

Apparently if i had notified them within 6 months of the change over they could have sorted it, so kinda my fault but then not something i thought to check, and in the same situation probably would make the same mistake (not with hindsight obviously)

Yeah they do this, when i got my photo license (about 5 years ago, ish) i didnt spot that my motorbike entitlement wasnt on there, didnt even think to look, then about a year ago i wanted to get a motorbike cos i had moved and it was easier to get to work, and lo and behold when i dug out my license i spotted it was gone, too-ed and fro-ed with the dvla for about a month but the upshot was basically "tough, do the test again"

Apparently if i had notified them within 6 months of the change over they could have sorted it, so kinda my fault but then not something i thought to check, and in the same situation probably would make the same mistake (not with hindsight obviously)

You can get it back without doing the test ....

Go to live in an EU country where car license implies motorbike license[1]. Change your license. Now you're licensed for both, so if/when you return to the UK you insist on it.

[1] Italy is one such, as I found out while living there. Though I didn't change my license: they told me my UK one (being an EU country) was valid there.

Worth always holding on to any test pass certificates. If they leave categories off (they do this a lot with HGV/motorbike/trailer towing entitlements etc) you can make them put them back on - although they may try and say you can't.

Also another DVLA top tip if you end up with some issue with them is go in person to their local office, which is usually in the nearest big city. They deal mostly with motor trade or fleet type people and it's very surprising how much autonomy they have and what rule-bending they can do.

They're also handy if you're worried about sending things in to Swansea to get lost in the ether - they certainly used to be able to issue receipts for any documentation handed over.

Here's an idea. Don't send you old licence in when updating the photo. Just say you lost it.

There's a 20 quid fee for lost licence (rightly so - should be 150 quid).

The entitlement thing has been put right now and as best I know doesn't happen any more (worth having a photocopy though I guess).

Italy has a separate motorcycle and car test and licence. Italian tests are far harder than UK ones.

The new motorbike tests are just plain wrong. Join MAG if you ride a bike.