House Price Crash Forum
mkz

Average Rents Being Cut By 40 Per Cent

I love the way they present it as 'poor families' losing x thousands per year instead of the public money sucking landlords.

I love the way they present it as 'poor families' losing x thousands per year instead of the public money sucking landlords.

Yes, surely the pain will only be temporary. Tenents will realise they cannot afford rent if HB is cut. They either have to renegotiate the rent or move to somewhere cheaper. If enough people have to do this then many LL's will have to take a loss as they will end up with no tennents at all.

Though most of the flats I ever see up for rent are the stereotypical no DHSS, kids, pets, smoking, farting, touching the carpet brigade so maybe it will not have what I would percieved desired effect.

Don't know why the editor thinks this will impact those on low incomes?? As has already been alluded to it would more likely drive down rental costs. Maybe the government can legislate so these people can't be easily evicted when housing benefit has been reduced but rent hasn't. Job done! LL takes the hit.

I love the way the story has to be presented as a scanned item. "The Times" is finished.

As long as I get 40% less house, I haven't been had? :o

Huh?

Presumably this is a mathematically misguided reference to the proposed capping of housing benefit at the 30th percentile of local rental rates, a sort of 40% reduction from the 50th percentile cap in place currently.

2zqhtt4.jpg

Huh?

Good news, if it is true. But who are these people "The Chartered Institute of Housing (CIH)" ?

"The Chartered Institute of Housing (CIH) is the professional body for people involved in housing and communities. We are a registered charity and not-for-profit organisation. We have a diverse and growing membership of over 22,000 people - both in the public and private sectors - living and working in over 20 countries on five continents across the world. We exist to maximise the contribution that housing professionals make to the wellbeing of communities."

http://www.cih.org/about/index.php

A "professional body"? Of "people involved in housing and communities"?

What is that exactly?

Good news, if it is true. But who are these people "The Chartered Institute of Housing (CIH)" ?

http://www.cih.org/about/index.php

A "professional body"? Of "people involved in housing and communities"?

What is that exactly?

We exist to maximise the contribution that housing professionals make to the wellbeing of communities.

correct that to:

We exist to maximise the contribution that communities make to the wellbeing of housing professionals.

Exactly. It reads more like a lobbying group for landlords.

Who are these people "Chartered Institute of Housing"? (Please see my post above.)

In their website they say that they are an old charity, to increase standards of workers houses, etc. But if so, where the hellll have their being in these past 10 years?!

Presumably this is a mathematically misguided reference to the proposed capping of housing benefit at the 30th percentile of local rental rates, a sort of 40% reduction from the 50th percentile cap in place currently.

If true, that's hilarious.

We exist to maximise the contribution that housing professionals make to the wellbeing of communities.

correct that to:

We exist to maximise the contribution that communities make to the wellbeing of housing professionals.

Exactly, same suspicion here. The b@stards! Where have they been in these past 10 years!

And have you seen their Offices? Nice! I've Street Googled them. I'll try to post a photo of it here, soon.

correct that to:

Very nice offices, for a housing "charity"...

chartedinstituteofhousi.png

Exactly, same suspicion here. The b@stards! Where have they been in these past 10 years!

And have you seen their Offices? Nice! I've Street Googled them. I'll try to post a photo of it here, soon.

looking at their accounts - I think there are some altruistic intentions in there. Much the same way the labour movement is motivated by good intentions.

however 'taxpayers money subsidising houses = good, free market = bad' is sheer rentier-sentiment.

Edited by Si1

looking at their accounts - I think there are some altruistic intentions in there. Much the same way the labour movement is motivated by good intentions.

however 'taxpayers money subsidising houses = good, free market = bad' is sheer rentier-sentiment.

They are either self-serving b@stards, or complete morons.

Or both: stupid enough to trick themselves into thinking that they are really helping the poor... The most common, and most infuriating type.

Edited by Tired of Waiting

God almighty you are probably right.

But are they really that stupid, or are they spinning it?

(Same old question, re. Gordon Brown's government.)

God almighty you are probably right.

But are they really that stupid, or are they spinning it?

(Same old question, re. Gordon Brown's government.)

the standard of english on their website is awful -

During a challenging year for many of its members CIH continued to support housing professionals and their organisations to do life changing work by providing education, training, policy making networks, events and good practice information, as well as championing their work with all UK governments and policy makers.

A couple of questions and a sneaky suspicion

Dose anyone know if council/housing association rental costs are included when calculating housing benefit to the 30th percentile ?and also what is the percentage of council/housing asoc to private rental? could it be around the 30% mark .Could it be the con/libs have done their sums and are planing to bring HB payments in line with local authority/housing association rental costs if so 40% reduction would seem about right .

I want to know how much per hr/day Kirsty gets paid as Came_RONS/Conservative housing ad_vice Consultant!

Could it be the con/libs have done their sums and are planing to bring HB payments in line with local authority/housing association rental costs if so 40% reduction would seem about right .

the reduction is £1.8bn on a budget of £8.5bn for private sector HB - so it's about 20%

Couldn't read the article because it's not loading on the iPhone but surely a 40% reduction in rents will make poor families 40% better off? What am I missing?

Great journalism here. Either, they can't do their sums, or their complete shills for the BTL brigade (or both).

Sorry, Rupert, who is going to pay for this online?