House Price Crash Forum

Students Cannot Claim Jsa During Breaks In Study

HPC001

HOLA441
Guest X-QUORK

Yeah, and it was a decision that took months of deliberation. I nearly changed my mind completely at least once. However, I decided that on balance, the degree was better. Doing something useful and the loan would at least deal with upfront costs (fees).

Is it fair to say you've commited yourself to something you can't afford (for perfectly well-intentioned reasons)?

HOLA442
Guest theboltonfury

Nope. Wait, you call HE school? Okay, never mind.

Done it twice before. That doesn't mean I'll get one instantly, hence the JSA...I can always halt the claim if I get a job. What do I live on in the meantime? Should I sell my PC, which is worthless in all likelihood, and handwrite everything\deny myself use of another resource? :unsure:

I don't know. But one thing I have learnt is that the world doesn't owe me a living. That's not aimed at you. It's a fact. If you can no longer afford your education, unfortunatley the only person that that bothers is you. Sounds awful, but it's true.

If you wanted you could register with Blue Arrow or whoever. I would pretty much guarantee that they could have doing menial factory work within 24 hours.

HOLA443

Is it fair to say you've commited yourself to something you can't afford (for perfectly well-intentioned reasons)?

Assuming everything stays identical, then yes, it seems to be. Maybe the charity I work for will be sympathetic, I guess I have nothing to lose by asking...

I don't know. But one thing I have learnt is that the world doesn't owe me a living. That's not aimed at you. It's a fact. If you can no longer afford your education, unfortunatley the only person that that bothers is you. Sounds awful, but it's true.

If you wanted you could register with Blue Arrow or whoever. I would pretty much guarantee that they could have doing menial factory work within 24 hours.

Even if I didn't enrol in year 2 of the degree, that doesn't change the fact that I cannot claim dole until September. The first year loan has been paid. Quitting makes me no better off for the time being.

As for the agency, I'll hold you to that claim and call bull**** if you're wrong.

HOLA444
Guest X-QUORK

You have my sympathy, but I'm afraid I'm of the opinion that adults should be able to fund their own education, or seek sponsorship. There's just not enough money around.

HOLA445

See above. I suggest you get a clue before stereotyping me and throwing ad-homs around.

Also, it is called job-seekers allowance, not income support or disability. It isn't at least in theory paid for doing nothing.

Well nobody will give you a permanent job that you can quit before next term if you don't expect to last even as long as the probationary period. They are hard to get anyway.

But summer jobs stacking shelves, bar work, waiter, working for the uni, part-time, casual work. This stuff is incredibly easy to pick up in the summer, anyone who says it isn't is a liar. It's called seasonal work (some of it).

I hear what you are saying, there are plenty of others who take the piss for years on JSA/IS/IB. But you are a student, I expect you to know better. You shouldn't even be thinking of getting JSA. The only thing you should be thinking of is getting some work.

edit: I've seen how hard up you are, so I can understand your looking into JSA.

When I was a student and summer approached, some people p1ssed off home, some people went on holiday, some went to summer camp (Camp USA etc.) and some stayed behind to work like me. NOBODY I know even mentioned claiming benefits.

btw when I graduated I had it bad too. Dot com bubble had just burst and a few years later there was a downturn affecting the financial sector only. So I got buttraped twice.

First thing you need to do is quit working for charity/volunteering. That's an ego-boosting luxury that you cannot afford right now.

Also, how much money exactly do you need roughly?

edit: have you checked your uni for access/hardship funds? I presume you've already exhausted this option but definitely worth trying if not. I used to get 500 quid a year out of my uni thanks to generous alumni benefactors.

HOLA446

Well nobody will give you a permanent job if you don't expect to last even as long as the probationary period. They are hard to get anyway.

I don't overestimate my chances of getting to the interview. I'm not sure what that has to do with what I said though..

But summer jobs stacking shelves, bar work, waiter, working for the uni, part-time, casual work. This stuff is incredibly easy to pick up in the summer, anyone who says it isn't is a liar. It's called seasonal work.

There are also hundreds of thousands of new entrants to the job market. I appreciate your point, but I can't assume those will be easy this time around.

I hear what you are saying, there are plenty of others who take the piss for years on JSA/IS/IB. But you are a student, I expect you to know better. You shouldn't even be thinking of getting JSA. The only thing you should be thinking of is getting some work.

When I was a student and summer approached, some people p1ssed off home

I'm not a fan of the benefit system, but I do not get a free lunch from non-existent parents. I have to pay rent or I'm abusing someones hospitality (which usually doesn't get given out anyway).

some people went on holiday, some went to summer camp (Camp USA etc.)

Why is this relevant? Did you not read the thread? If I had that kind of money I wouldn't think of claiming JSA.

and some stayed behind to work like me.

Where did I indicate I wasn't prepared to work? The clue is in the name - jobseekers allowance.

Edit: seen your updated post - I worked for charity because my own situation motivated me to do so. I can handle a few hours a week helping less able individuals. If it improves employability then why not? They do cover my travel cost for the work..

HOLA447

This has been the case since at least 2006. Probably ever since JSA was created.

I signed on for 3 months between school and college, but the rules were different in 1980. :blink:

Even longer than that, this rule first came into force in 1988. Before that students could claim dole through the summer holidays.

HOLA448
Guest theboltonfury

I don't overestimate my chances of getting to the interview. I'm not sure what that has to do with what I said though..

There are also hundreds of thousands of new entrants to the job market. I appreciate your point, but I can't assume those will be easy this time around.

I'm not a fan of the benefit system, but I do not get a free lunch from non-existent parents. I have to pay rent or I'm abusing someones hospitality (which usually doesn't get given out anyway).

Why is this relevant? Did you not read the thread? If I had that kind of money I wouldn't think of claiming JSA.

Where did I indicate I wasn't prepared to work? The clue is in the name - jobseekers allowance.

Are you seriously saying that people who claim Jobseekers are always Jobseeking? Give me strength.

Sorry, but it seems here that you've become all defensive because a few people haven't said 'there, there, there'

Rolf was trying to be helpful.

HOLA449

Are you seriously saying that people who claim Jobseekers are always Jobseeking? Give me strength.

No. My intent isn't to lounge on it though. If you go back and read my earlier posts, I do state that there are claimants taking the mickey.

Sorry, but it seems here that you've become all defensive because a few people haven't said 'there, there, there'

I didn't realise you were an employer, TBF...I'll talk myself up in your presence in future then. :)

Rolf was trying to be helpful.

I quote "I appreciate your point". Where did I refuse to pay attention? I know full well that jobs exist. If it were as simple as applying, I would have 1200 jobs now. Life isn't black and white, gentlemen. Surely you know that through your own experience? This is why I refused to paint all JSA claimants as lazy. Or all 18 year old students.

Right, I've said enough. Time to go test your statement TBF...

HOLA4410

I was just pointing out that the current low numbers of graduate jobs and difficulty getting them are not relevant when it comes to getting summer/casual/seasonal work.

Extremely defeatist attitude. Times have not changed much in the last 10 years in terms of the labour market for the kinds of jobs that students get.

Summer camp is for work! You work, you get lodgings and some money. Do you not even know about these schemes?

Edit: seen your updated post - I worked for charity because my own situation motivated me to do so. I can handle a few hours a week helping less able individuals. If it improves employability then why not? They do cover my travel cost for the work..

Now that it's on your CV, you don't need it anymore. btw your employability will go up much more if you get a part-time job than a charity job/volunteering.

You need money now. This charity work is taking time away from your job hunting. Ditch it now.

HOLA4411
Guest theboltonfury

No. My intent isn't to lounge on it though. If you go back and read my earlier posts, I do state that there are claimants taking the mickey.

I didn't realise you were an employer, TBF...I'll talk myself up in your presence in future then. :)

I quote "I appreciate your point". Where did I refuse to pay attention? I know full well that jobs exist. If it were as simple as applying, I would have 1200 jobs now. Life isn't black and white, gentlemen. Surely you know that through your own experience? This is why I refused to paint all JSA claimants as lazy. Or all 18 year old students.

Right, I've said enough. Time to go test your statement TBF...

I wish you all the best in sorting this out.

HOLA4412

Well, 3 things come up:

1. How can a loan be considered income?

2. Back in the day (about 2 years before I entered university iirc) the summer holiday was always dole time. The other breaks were considered too short.

3. If you are sat on your ****, not working and not studying, you get your rent paid and 50 quid a week to live on. If you study you have to borrow money instead. Unless its an approved jsa training scheme, in which case you get paid.

How is that fair or equitable?

Archived