House Price Crash Forum

Students Cannot Claim Jsa During Breaks In Study

HPC001

HOLA441

Looks like we're hung out to dry during the recession...despite the fact I'm fully available to seek work, I cannot claim JSA because my past student loan apparently counts as income for 52 weeks. My ass it does, even the fabled SLC admit that (they say sponge off your parents during the summer). Doesn't exactly encourage a mature adult to bother improving their repetoire, when they can get more for effectively doing nothing on JSA + HB + CTB (at least until they have a job).

I might be wrong on this but I spent half an hour plus on the phone giving details for a claim, so I suspect the Northern lady who greeted me this morning is right.

Time to make a hammock methinks...

HOLA442

Looks like we're hung out to dry during the recession...despite the fact I'm fully available to seek work, I cannot claim JSA because my past student loan apparently counts as income for 52 weeks. My ass it does, even the fabled SLC admit that (they say sponge off your parents during the summer). Doesn't exactly encourage a mature adult to bother improving their repetoire, when they can get more for effectively doing nothing on JSA + HB + CTB (at least until they have a job).

I might be wrong on this but I spent half an hour plus on the phone giving details for a claim, so I suspect the Northern lady who greeted me this morning is right.

Eh?

You want to claim JSA in your hols? Are you trolling? When I was a student 10-15 years ago you couldn't do that. You are not available for full time permanent employment if you are studying. If you want to get work experience try volunteering.

Tw*t

Edited to include personal abuse

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Get off your @r5e and get a bl00dy summer job you lazy git!

Back in the late 90s, I worked every summer through university, just to be able to afford to live.

Good job the taxpayer isn't funding you to sit on your backside for 3 months.

Besides, your earnings will be tax free in all likelihood.

On yer bike, son !

Sometimes I'm not sure which is worse. Lazy, spolied youth or greedy boomers???

HOLA446

Eh?

You want to claim JSA in your hols? Are you trolling? When I was a student 10-15 years ago you couldn't do that. You are not available for full time permanent employment if you are studying. If you want to get work experience try volunteering.

I already volunteer, the loan was inadequate and I worked before that. I just hoped my tax contributions in the past were worth something now that I've come upon harder times. The issue the DWP has is the loan, if I hadn't claimed that to pay for the course I'd be fine...

Tw*t

Edited to include personal abuse

Thank you for confirming you're an idiot.

HOLA447

Get off your @r5e and get a bl00dy summer job you lazy git!

Back in the late 90s, I worked every summer through university, just to be able to afford to live.

Good job the taxpayer isn't funding you to sit on your backside for 3 months.

Besides, your earnings will be tax free in all likelihood.

On yer bike, son !

Sometimes I'm not sure which is worse. Lazy, spolied youth or greedy boomers???

See above. I suggest you get a clue before stereotyping me and throwing ad-homs around.

Also, it is called job-seekers allowance, not income support or disability. It isn't at least in theory paid for doing nothing.

HOLA448

A few ranters seem to have failed to spot in the OP that he is a 'mature' student.

Sit in the warm weather, listen to sport (cricket, tennis and world cup at the mo') on radio. That's cheap and what I did, a lot, as a student.

HOLA449

Thank you for confirming you're an idiot.

My pleasure.

The point remains - you are not available for full time permanent employment. I am sorry to hear you are having trouble financing your course. I would recommend getting round to/on the dog and bone to student services at your uni and see if they can help. Unis often have money set aside for students with unexpected difficulties.

HOLA4410

If you're currently 'fully available to seek work' you should have no trouble finding temporary employment during the summer months. You are probably too late to get a work placement but you could always volunteer. Future employers will regard such initiative favourably - a big advantage in a very competitive graduate market.

HOLA4411
Guest X-QUORK

Very confusing OP. You say that you can't claim JSA (and rightly so IMO), then go on to bemoan the fact that having JSA as a student discourages finding work.

Is it me?

HOLA4412
Guest Noodle

Before you lot rip this young fella to shreds you insensitive bastards, he's been desperately looking for part-time anything for bloody ages and fair play to him he does his best under not very easy circumstances.

Bit of support please or even try and find him a job would be better.

HOLA4413

My pleasure.

The point remains - you are not available for full time permanent employment. I am sorry to hear you are having trouble financing your course. I would recommend getting round to/on the dog and bone to student services at your uni and see if they can help. Unis often have money set aside for students with unexpected difficulties.

That isn't the reason I was quoted, the reason was the loan counts as yearly income. Please try to read the post next time :) I wouldn't have called you an idiot but you said that, and then proceeded to call me a tw*t for bothering to make a phone call to the DWP...

The university's terms for grants don't encompass me. I have to prove a negative statement or be 25, be married or have kids. Great system isn't it? Anyway they're linked to SLC assessment, so if they don't assess me as independent neither does the university. Which means I was down to 75% of the loan and naff all grants. Like I said, sponging would have paid more but I didn't do that because broading my skills made more sense to me personally...

Very confusing OP. You say that you can't claim JSA (and rightly so IMO), then go on to bemoan the fact that having JSA as a student discourages finding work.

Is it me?

No I mean that JSA + HB +CTB when you scrounge\whatever is more support than student finance when choosing to a degree. That clearer?

Mutually exclusive options.

HOLA4414

That isn't the reason I was quoted, the reason was the loan counts as yearly income. Please try to read the post next time :) I wouldn't have called you an idiot but you said that, and then proceeded to call me a tw*t for bothering to make a phone call to the DWP...

No, I called you a tw*t because I mistakenly believed you to be a teenage whining undergraduate. My apologies. If you could give some more details about your circumstances I might be able to help.

Regarding your other points that you can get more money from the govt if unemployed and not studying. This is because people are now expected to self-finance degree level courses.

Edited to give apology

HOLA4415

If you're currently 'fully available to seek work' you should have no trouble finding temporary employment during the summer months. You are probably too late to get a work placement but you could always volunteer. Future employers will regard such initiative favourably - a big advantage in a very competitive graduate market.

I'll already be "old" for a graduate because I worked before starting this degree. If you read my second post I said I already volunteer. First I helped out at a homeless shelter over christmas, then I signed up to represent disabled people and support their rights. I'm considering another project but I can't live on nothing forever...

Yes, it is a competitive market, hence why I chose to do this degree to start with. Don't think anyone can really argue with degree + experience?

HOLA4416

No, I called you a tw*t because I mistakenly believed you to be a teenage whining undergraduate. My apologies. If you could give some more details about your circumstances I might be able to help.

Regarding your other points that you can get more money from the govt if unemployed and not studying. This is because people are now expected to self-finance degree level courses.

Edited to give apology

I gathered, but it's still a lame assumption. Yes, a lot of 18 year olds don't have a clue but I still don't tar them all with one brush. I don't have the folks throwing money at me, and the owner of this property can eject me at any time...

This isn't fun and games, I don't claim JSA for the hell of it, I hate form-filling bureaucracy culture.

Anyway I appreciate you clarifying your position, no harm done.

HOLA4417
Guest X-QUORK

No I mean that JSA + HB +CTB when you scrounge\whatever is more support than student finance when choosing to a degree. That clearer?

Mutually exclusive options.

Gotcha. Good luck with trying to garner support for your cause, you'll need it.

HOLA4418

Gotcha. Good luck with trying to garner support for your cause, you'll need it.

Well, without trying to sound arrogant, the idea is that a short-term investment in the course pays off with better job prospects, bringing the money back in taxation. At least in theory...

HOLA4419
Guest theboltonfury

You want JSA during holidays?

I got a job in a warehouse. There are plenty about., Try doing the same? Mature or otherwise.

HOLA4420

I have sympathies in having done an MA in the recent past, but we now have far too many students in the system to be able to provide meaningful govt support. What we need is a system like Germany wiht fewer uni students and on the job training for others. Unfortunately this was involve creating a culture with a long term, sustainable outlook......

Best of luck

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

You want JSA during school holidays?

Nope. Wait, you call HE school? Okay, never mind.

I got a job in a warehouse. There are plenty about., Try doing the same?

Done it twice before. That doesn't mean I'll get one instantly, hence the JSA...I can always halt the claim if I get a job. What do I live on in the meantime? Should I sell my PC, which is worthless in all likelihood, and handwrite everything\deny myself use of another resource? :unsure:

HOLA4423
Guest X-QUORK

Done it twice before. That doesn't mean I'll get one instantly, hence the JSA...I can always halt the claim if I get a job. What do I live on in the meantime? Should I sell my PC, which is worthless in all likelihood, and handwrite everything\deny myself use of another resource? :unsure:

Did you not do your sums before starting the course?

HOLA4424

I have sympathies in having done an MA in the recent past, but we now have far too many students in the system to be able to provide meaningful govt support. What we need is a system like Germany wiht fewer uni students and on the job training for others. Unfortunately this was involve creating a culture with a long term, sustainable outlook......

Best of luck

They're happy paying for a baby machine though, or if you're old enough, or if you're married. Nothing really in between those two extremes...

Ideally, it would be a completely free market system but that's a pipedream for now so I'm working within the constraints given.

On the job training would be great, the problem is employers expect me to fork out for that then maybe they'll offer something. Outsourcing hasn't helped, in that respect. I chose to broaden my knowledge in a field that I'm already experienced in, IT support\telecoms. Yup, there are a lot of taxes on small business, but I didn't vote for this convoluted crap. Probably just as well I don't have a car, just another way of extorting what little we have in fines (while the council loudly proclaims frozen tax).

HOLA4425

Did you not do your sums before starting the course?

Yeah, and it was a decision that took months of deliberation. I nearly changed my mind completely at least once. However, I decided that on balance, the degree was better. Doing something useful and the loan would at least deal with upfront costs (fees).

Archived