House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AteMoose

Broken Fridge Freezer

Our 3 year old hoover frost free fridge freezer (which sits in the kitchen which does get quite warm) started making a funny noise last night so in true IT style I tried rebooting it (turn it off and on again). This morning The radiator inside the freezer section was burning hot, I burnt my hand when I touched it, the external back radiator was cool and it was silent. I turned it off for 3 hours and turned it on again, an hour later it it seems to be working.

Is is broken?

What is wrong with it?

How long do you think it will last?

Guest X-QUORK

First thing's first. Drill a hole in the front to make sure the light goes out when you close the door.

More instructions to follow.

First thing's first. Drill a hole in the front to make sure the light goes out when you close the door.

More instructions to follow.

Or, if you don't own a drill, just use some X-ray specs.

Guest Noodle

Or, if you don't own a drill, just use some X-ray specs.

Fit one of these to maintain a good seal.

periscope-1.jpg

Guest Noodle

So... I guess no one knows anything about fridge-freezers, eh? :D

Is it the compressor on the blink?

Why can't these manufacturers make a fridge with a door seal that doesn't fall apart in two weeks?

Sounds like the refrigerant got displaced - normally happens when you move fridges/freezers - that is why you should always leave them for a good few hours (or longer) for everything to settle before switching back on. If it happens again, switch off and leave. If it keeps on happening then maybe compressor problem or you have a collant leak and the system is only working periodically on a reducing volume of coolant and it gradually degasses.

Did you have to drag it out or tilt it over to get at the power switch to turn it off? Fridges and freezer usually benefit from being left level for a few hours before turning on.

Stick a thermometer in it, if you can get the inside temp down to 4C or lower, it's working OK. Freezer sections are a bit different depending on the no of stars, i.e. ** or ***. A deep freeze is below -18C.

Why can't these manufacturers make a fridge with a door seal that doesn't fall apart in two weeks?

Why would they do that? The previous fridge my mother owned had a great seal so she didn't bother replacing it for 30 years and only did so because she built a new house and wanted to treat herself to a new fridge.

No money in that is there?

Our 3 year old hoover frost free fridge freezer (which sits in the kitchen which does get quite warm) started making a funny noise last night so in true IT style I tried rebooting it (turn it off and on again). This morning The radiator inside the freezer section was burning hot, I burnt my hand when I touched it, the external back radiator was cool and it was silent. I turned it off for 3 hours and turned it on again, an hour later it it seems to be working.

Is is broken?

What is wrong with it?

We had the same problem - also a hoover fridge freezer.

It started making loud whirring noises together with an odd bang.

Freezer kept food frozen - but only just.

It lasted about 6 months and got progressively louder.

We eventually bought a new BEKO model - very good so far.

We called it Stephen.

Fit one of these to maintain a good seal.

periscope-1.jpg

Antarctica_South_Georgia_Fortuna_Bay_happy_seal_and_penguins.jpg

Thanks all, interesting comment about the hoover I knew HPC wouldnt fail.. (IMHO it has nothing to do with a good seal)

Another thought, doesn't have a defrost function does it?

Nahh it is a frost free freezer, (which are apparently more temperamental). Just been looking at prices of new freezers, everything appears to have gone up 30%, grrrr at the pound....

Antarctica_South_Georgia_Fortuna_Bay_happy_seal_and_penguins.jpg

Thanks all, interesting comment about the hoover I knew HPC wouldnt fail.. (IMHO it has nothing to do with a good seal)

Who's the fat guy, in front of the suits? ;)

Guest Noodle

Who's the fat guy, in front of the suits? ;)

It's me at work. Don't think I take all those blokes seriously, do you? B)

It's me at work. Don't think I take all those blokes seriously, do you? B)

I looks like your having a whale of a time...

Is is broken?

What is wrong with it?

fridges are the most durable domestic appliances and hardly ever go wrong, short of frosting-up. defrost it and it will probably be OK again.

fridges are the most durable domestic appliances and hardly ever go wrong, short of frosting-up. defrost it and it will probably be OK again.

Yeah but it's Hoover, everyone knows Hoover stuff is cr4p. My John Lewis Fridge is going strong after 8 years.

I bought a new Hoover fridge freezer about 5 years ago. When it arrived, I think I let it stand overnight, then switched it on the next morning. I checked the freezer in the afternoon, only to find it was more like an oven than a freezer - not only was there no ice, but the inside had got hot enough to melt the plastic drawers and trays inside!

I got a full refund (after a bit of a fight with Comet, who wanted to replace it) and bought a second hand BEKO fridge freezer for half the price - which is what I should have done in the first place.

Guest Noodle

I bought a new Hoover fridge freezer about 5 years ago. When it arrived, I think I let it stand overnight, then switched it on the next morning. I checked the freezer in the afternoon, only to find it was more like an oven than a freezer - not only was there no ice, but the inside had got hot enough to melt the plastic drawers and trays inside!

I got a full refund (after a bit of a fight with Comet, who wanted to replace it) and bought a second hand BEKO fridge freezer for half the price - which is what I should have done in the first place.

These retail chains must know Hoover stuff is cack, why do they stock it?

Beko's good stuff.

Indeed, the door will have rusted off before the pump fails!

If only the other appliances were so good...

Another thought, doesn't have a defrost function does it?

Nahh it is a frost free freezer,

and just how do you suppose it performs such a feat, hmm?