House Price Crash Forum
Topher Bear

Radio 4 Any Questions Tonight

Hi. Not sure if I can start a topic from my mobile, so I am testing this first. Will edit if it works.

Hi. Not sure if I can start a topic from my mobile, so I am testing this first. Will edit if it works.

Yes you can. Are going to be on the show then?

How about the "why can't an average family afford an average home one?"? And when all the politicos talk about "affordable housing" point out that this is just confirming that an average family can't afford an average home (if you're good with words say that you weren't asking about how an average family could afford half a house or some such),

Peter.

Didn't you have a bit of a saga of being forced to move house whilst sprogging? Or am I confusing you with someone else on HPC?

Would make a great basis for a question on the (lack of) rights of third-class renters. Submit a question about protection for tenants who don't get the benefit of social housing. Then if/when you get to ask it (live on air), don't forget to introduce the phrase "Property Pimps" for BTL landlords!

How about the "why can't an average family afford an average home one?"? And when all the politicos talk about "affordable housing" point out that this is just confirming that an average family can't afford an average home (if you're good with words say that you weren't asking about how an average family could afford half a house or some such),

Peter.

I second this one.

Wouldn't the best "stimulus to the economy" be to allow house prices to fall to where young people can actually afford them again?

Edited by worst time buyer

You have to ask an inane question so that they pick you, but then ask your HPC one.

If you tell them you're going to ask a sensible question, then you won't get picked.

You have to ask an inane question so that they pick you, but then ask your HPC one.

If you tell them you're going to ask a sensible question, then you won't get picked.

Ah I see. So he could tell the BBC his question is:

Which do the panel like more, lovely bunny wabbits, or nice playful puppies with wet noses?

Then when the microphone comes over ask instead:

Does macro-economic policy as regards to manipulating the money supply in order to artificially create demand actually perpetuate a futile expansion of debt induced poverty?

How about: Would the panel prefer to see an increase or a decrease in the average price of a British home?

Good one to ask. We can watch 'em wriggle....

I would simply ask something simple - dramatic you see - such as:

House prices have fallen by 50 percent in the United States, Spain and the Republic of Ireland. In fact, in Dublin some property has fallen by 80 percent. Isn't it arrogant for us to think that British house prices will not suffer the same fate once the 600,000 public sector job cuts begin?

The above, by tying in the public sector jobs, means they cannot use the tiny island excuse.

Also, any politician on the panel will see an opportunity to appear sensitive to public sector job losses and potentially will agree that there is now a danger to house prices.

I used the same question on BBC Wales the other week and it resulted in a 10 minute debate on the housing market and how over-priced houses are.

"When a business performs poorly and is insolvent it rightly goes bust, which means other similar businesses can enter the market and pick up its customers and continue supplying the service. With protection for savers and a central bank, what is wrong with letting insolvent commercial banks go bust and other banks take their place?"