House Price Crash Forum
ds7971

Best Self Select Isa?

Hi, can anyone recommend a good, low cost, self select ISA. I just want to have a little dabble with a couple of individual shares (rather than buying a fun) and I want to use an ISA platform in case I end up with capital gains etc.

Thanks.

Hi, can anyone recommend a good, low cost, self select ISA. I just want to have a little dabble with a couple of individual shares (rather than buying a fun) and I want to use an ISA platform in case I end up with capital gains etc.

Thanks.

I use Iweb (halifax) share dealing for my ISA.

There is a fixed 'management fee' of £20 + VAT per year for the ISA account. Plus you pay commission as standard for any share/bond/gilt/ETF purchases - £10 per trade. You can also buy international ETFs/stocks from the US, many European countries - the commission for these is slightly higher £15 per trade. There is a special reduced commission (1% of reinvested value) for reinvesting dividends.

Sometimes if you want to buy a new stock or new ETF, they don't have it available for online purchase - so you need to ring them up to buy - but when you do that they'll add it to their online system, so you can make any further investments online.

Like most self-select ISAs, the commissions make monthly investments quite expensive. So I tend to use a more 'lumpy' approach - investing lump sums every 3-6 months - or combining a new investment with rebalancing.