House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the coming storm

Do Are Lives Revolve Around Jealousy, Oneupmanship And Schadenfreude?

The more I think about life in the UK - the entire country seems have a case of Tall Poppy Syndrome - everyone is a backstabber in the workplace, we watch TV shows like the apprentice. You get attacked for having too much money, you get attacked for not having enough money. If you work too hard then your resented by the lazy, if your too lazy then your hated. If you too attractive then the ugly hate you, if you ugly then your not liked.

If you have any opinions on anything your attacked for that - it just feels people are always looking to label others and pidgeon hole them rather than accept were all playing different roles in different situations. We are all turning into sky watching, middle aged, middle of the road, conformist drones all so terrifed of expressing anything, or doing anything outside the bounds is defined as normal - its getting harder to meet real people these days.

I mean if were honest in life doesn't everything in life really revolve around oneupmanship and getting one over are percieved peers, colleagues and rivals at work and in our circle of friends, family and aquaintences - but maintaining a friendly conformist front.

I mean if were honest in life doesn't everything in life really revolve around oneupmanship and getting one over are percieved peers, colleagues and rivals at work and in our circle of friends, family and aquaintences - but maintaining a friendly conformist front.

I concur.

The more I think about life in the UK - the entire country seems have a case of Tall Poppy Syndrome - everyone is a backstabber in the workplace, we watch TV shows like the apprentice. You get attacked for having too much money, you get attacked for not having enough money. If you work too hard then your resented by the lazy, if your too lazy then your hated. If you too attractive then the ugly hate you, if you ugly then your not liked.

If you have any opinions on anything your attacked for that - it just feels people are always looking to label others and pidgeon hole them rather than accept were all playing different roles in different situations. We are all turning into sky watching, middle aged, middle of the road, conformist drones all so terrifed of expressing anything, or doing anything outside the bounds is defined as normal - its getting harder to meet real people these days.

I don't feel like that at all - but then I am better than you.

Just kidding.

Honestly, whilst I have been in situations and around certain people that align with what you are saying (mostly at work) , I don't recognise it in most of my relationships and daily life (at work or in private).

Either I am pretty lucky, you are unlucky or I am as dumb as an apple in a partially opened draw full of camel jizz. In any case it works for me!

Strangely, that is one of my biggest fears..becoming a pompous (some claim I am already) MOR old fart.....I remember seeing a bloke at a company I used to work for, dressed all in beige...Just how is that possible?

Only the only issue with that, is that if your seen as "individual" then ppl think "eccentric" or it could translate as "annoying twerp", such as...

Oh, I don't bloody know...actually, what am I dribbling on about?..

I don't feel like that at all - but then I am better than you.

Just kidding.

Honestly, whilst I have been in situations and around certain people that align with what you are saying (mostly at work) , I don't recognise it in most of my relationships and daily life (at work or in private).

Either I am pretty lucky, you are unlucky or I am as dumb as an apple in a partially opened draw full of camel jizz. In any case it works for me!

:lol:

Tis a shame that people feel like the OP though. And I tend to agree with it to a certain extent.

Blame capitalism and the monetary system.

I think our lives revolve around contentment.

Unfortunately a lot of people don't seem to be content unless they can rub other people's faces in their supposed superiority. I'd much prefer a world full of common courtesy, regardless of how false it was.

Guest theboltonfury

It's best to avoid adult intercation completely. That way, one never knows if they have a lot of stuff nor do they know what they are missing.

We're sophisticated chimps.

Read about their hierarchies and behaviour, suddenly many things become clear.

And just in case you hadn't got the point, the fact that I know this means I am considerably better than yeeewwwww. ;)

Guest X-QUORK

Oh, I don't bloody know...actually, what am I dribbling on about?..

I'm not sure, but you've posted a Colin Hunt clip which always pleases. Well done.

I think the OP needs to pull back from such deep cynicism about his fellow Brits. There are good uns and bad uns and everything inbetween, we're no different to any other nation.

Is there a line between jealousy and justifiable resentment for scum who have done well for themselves at the expense of everyone else? So perhaps some of my life involves that. I've no time for oneupmanship, but really do enjoy a bit of good schadenfreude.

"Do Are Lives Revolve Around Jealousy, Oneupmanship And Schadenfreude?"

Are? ARE?! You mean 'our', you idiot! Ha ha ha!

As as to your question about one-upmanship and schadenfreude, of course not! Don't be silly! ;):D