House Price Crash Forum

Has It Always Been Like This?

HOLA441

Has it always been like this? In that the future always seems incredibly uncertain, in that I always imagined it stable job stable career but career half lives are getting shorter and shorter and this chippy is only going to be leased to me for a couple years at most with an potential option to renew.

Has life always been so uncertain? I currently can't see any work area really beyond 2012.

When I talk to my dad he seemed to have his life mapped out completely, but then speaking to older bikers in my group their plans were scuttled by redundancy in their late 40s.

Your thoughts?

HOLA442
Guest absolutezero

Has it always been like this? In that the future always seems incredibly uncertain, in that I always imagined it stable job stable career but career half lives are getting shorter and shorter and this chippy is only going to be leased to me for a couple years at most with an potential option to renew.

Has life always been so uncertain? I currently can't see any work area really beyond 2012.

When I talk to my dad he seemed to have his life mapped out completely, but then speaking to older bikers in my group their plans were scuttled by redundancy in their late 40s.

Your thoughts?

It's always been shit.

But now it's more shit than it used to be.

HOLA443
Guest happy?

Your thoughts?

Apprenticeships and jobs-for-life ended with the destruction of the heavy industries in the 1980's (all part of the monetarist experiment) nowadays you have to take it where you can when you can (it's why I never take lectures from people moaning about the public sector).

HOLA444
Guest absolutezero

Apprenticeships and jobs-for-life ended with the destruction of the heavy industries in the 1980's (all part of the monetarist experiment) nowadays you have to take it where you can when you can (it's why I never take lectures from people moaning about the public sector).

Because one day it may be them working for the public sector in order to put food on the table.

Hypocrites.

HOLA445

Has it always been like this? In that the future always seems incredibly uncertain

I guess there's always been something to worry about, interspersed with periods of economic affluence.

First World War

1920s boom

1929 crash/Great Depression

World War II

Austerity Britain

The 1950s (but tempered with the possibility of nuclear war)

The 1960s (tempered with the economic decline of the UK, Vietnam etc.)

The 1970s (power cuts, 3-day week, strikes, high inflation, oil crisis, hairstyles, clothes, wallpaper)

1980s (recession, stock market crash, Stock, Aitken & Waterman)

HOLA446

I guess there's always been something to worry about, interspersed with periods of economic affluence.

First World War

1920s boom

World War II

Austerity Britain

The 1970s (power cuts, 3-day week, strikes, high inflation, oil crisis, hairstyles, clothes, wallpaper)

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

HOLA447

I would say Ken that it depends.

In some places - big towns and cities - there are loads of office jobs which you can join straight from school and carry on until you retire, never needing to break a sweat if you're happy at a junior level.

In rural areas you are lucky to get an office job and if you do it is often in a dodgy sector such as building / maintenance which will see you hoiked out onto the dole in a few years when the cyclical downturn hits.

Usually though if that's what you want, and you're not after a big pay cheque, you can achieve stability. I sent you a job link last year that, given your background, you would have stood a good chance of getting. Now you didn't apply for whatever reason, which is entirely your choice, but that would have been a straightforward route into a steady job for the rest of your working life.

HOLA448

Now you didn't apply for whatever reason, which is entirely your choice, but that would have been a straightforward route into a steady job for the rest of your working life.

I remember that, I didn't take it because I had several other plans, granted it got kicked into the long grass for a while (as the chippy thing was first mentioned in February and I did plenty of jobs in between) but I'm finally exchanging contracts Wednesday, which will give me a couple of years to make some money.

My ultimate plan is to use this capital to start my own biz sometime in 2012. Granted I do not have huge social status being merely working in catering, but its a living which is most important.

I am seriously eying up Peter's Cornwall shop it is an absolute monopoly for 2012, he wants to retire in 2012 they have a £450,000 turn over and thats the amount declared in the books!

HOLA449

IMHO it was worse in the past, people have always lost there way of life as there job disappeared, in the past this often meant starvation and death... There was even a couple of hundred years where people got poorer and poorer, generations of people who all experienced falling wages, less jobs and had there land stolen from them...

HOLA4410
Guest Noodle

First World War

1920s boom

World War II

Austerity Britain

Yup, exactly.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Are you definitely starting the chippy then ?

Yup it is a done deal, after much haggling I managed to secure a variable rent with a base rent based on % if it is as busy as he says it is he gets a base amount + a pre defined %.

If it is dead then he gets only the base amount.

My dad is boarding a flight tomorrow to come and help me out for a bit to ensure I hit the ground running and everything is in place to start in the middle of July.

HOLA4415

Yup, exactly.

hey where are you right now? There is a massive party I'm getting dressed for (about 90 bikers + friends) it is once every 3 years happening outside oxford come if you are in this neck o the woods.

HOLA4416
Guest Noodle

hey where are you right now? There is a massive party I'm getting dressed for (about 90 bikers + friends) it is once every 3 years happening outside oxford come if you are in this neck o the woods.

Still in the jungle. New baby's arrived, sweetest little thing. Need to stick around to get stuff sorted out for the kids then I need to be South West Britain for my sanity.

Wish I could be there, although my new bike only has peddles.

HOLA4417

Yup it is a done deal, after much haggling I managed to secure a variable rent with a base rent based on % if it is as busy as he says it is he gets a base amount + a pre defined %.

If it is dead then he gets only the base amount.

My dad is boarding a flight tomorrow to come and help me out for a bit to ensure I hit the ground running and everything is in place to start in the middle of July.

Nice one. If I was down those parts I would come and have a taste. Us Jocks have an excellent palate for fried food.

You weren't riding a motorbike in Edinburgh a few weeks back ? I saw some bloke just get off his bike and he just looked like I imagine you to look !! On some Dhakar rally style bike too (Not that I know about bikes but it was one you would go on/off road on).

Maybe there is a Jock version of you. :)

HOLA4418
Guest absolutezero

The Bulldog Bash?

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
Guest X-QUORK

Where is the chippy? I will happily buy some from you providing, of course, there is optional gravy.

Eugh...Northerners.

HOLA4421
Guest absolutezero

Where is the chippy? I will happily buy some from you providing, of course, there is optional gravy.

The gravy is compulsory.

HOLA4422

Still in the jungle. New baby's arrived, sweetest little thing. Need to stick around to get stuff sorted out for the kids then I need to be South West Britain for my sanity.

Wish I could be there, although my new bike only has peddles.

I'll get a few pints ready and warmed up!

HOLA4423
Guest X-QUORK

The gravy is compulsory.

Chips + Gravy = (Wrong x eternity of doom) + (Gut stabbing x 30 years more Labour)

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
Guest absolutezero

Chips + Gravy = (Wrong x eternity of doom) + (Gut stabbing x 30 years more Labour)

You Southern ponce!

Archived