House Price Crash Forum

My Manager Has Been 'moved On'

deadman

HOLA441
HOLA442
Guest absolutezero

Believe it or not.

I have a nice new office and thousands of pens and a massive white board, just waiting for me to doodle on.

It's been a funny old week.

Managers are the enemy.

How will you fight yourself?

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
Guest absolutezero

So have you left your teens?

Yup.

Once you realise managers are generally power-crazed nutters who exist to make people's working lives miserable, then you can claim to have matured.

Until then you're one of the "that's how it is" brigade and nothing ever gets better for you.

HOLA447

Yup.

Once you realise managers are generally power-crazed nutters who exist to make people's working lives miserable, then you can claim to have matured.

Until then you're one of the "that's how it is" brigade and nothing ever gets better for you.

That's nice, dear.

HOLA448
Guest absolutezero

That's nice, dear.

So you're in the second category then. Thanks for clearing that up.

HOLA449

Managers are the enemy.

How will you fight yourself?

I've been in management for around 10 years now but never 'The Manager'.

I'm thinking of getting myself some quality tan brogues with segs in the heels and growing a mexican moustache.

HOLA4410
Guest happy?

Believe it or not.

I have a nice new office and thousands of pens and a massive white board, just waiting for me to doodle on.

Sounds like fun - so what's the plan?

HOLA4411
Guest X-QUORK

Pouquoi <<vivent>> ? C'est singulier, quoi ?

I don't know, that's what Bablefish came up with.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Guest absolutezero

I've been in management for around 10 years now but never 'The Manager'.

I'm thinking of getting myself some quality tan brogues with segs in the heels and growing a mexican moustache.

You're like my "boss" then.

I don't think of him as my boss. He's my equal.

The boss is upstairs hiding in an office. Not my equal. A troublemaker.

HOLA4414

You're like my "boss" then.

I don't think of him as my boss. He's my equal.

The boss is upstairs hiding in an office. Not my equal. A troublemaker.

I am one of the few people who consider a subordinate as an equal. However, if they cross me I will not hesitate to squash them like the maggot that they are.

HOLA4415

Believe it or not.

Good for you - hope it goes well for you. What do you plan to do to avoid being likewise 'moved on'?

HOLA4416

Good for you - hope it goes well for you. What do you plan to do to avoid being likewise 'moved on'?

Cheers Drags. Just to carry on being myself. Everyone knows me and how I work so I won't have a problem. Someone said the other week that if I asked somebody to "stand in a bucket of shit" they would. I guess I'm lucky that way. I've always lead from the front and graft hard so maybe it rubs off on people after a while.

Having said that the workforce needs a good kick up the jacksy mind. Everything by the book from now on, big focus on quality, regular meetings. Bit more discipline. 6 S. But still have a laugh.

The thing is, it isn't a hard place to work. Really it isn't. That's what I keep telling everyone anyway. Unless you ignore the above. Then it quickly becomes a nightmare.

HOLA4417

Cheers Drags. Just to carry on being myself. Everyone knows me and how I work so I won't have a problem. Someone said the other week that if I asked somebody to "stand in a bucket of shit" they would. I guess I'm lucky that way. I've always lead from the front and graft hard so maybe it rubs off on people after a while.

That's key to good management - sounds like you have a good approach to the role. Can't stand these hands-off, directorial types who don't understand how the organization works because they won't get their hands dirty.

Hope it goes very well for you.

HOLA4418

Isn't this like one of those films when the Emperor kills the Captain of the Guard for failure and then hands you the Captain's rank?

Be careful. Maybe you are being lined up for a fall? Are there errors, accounting mistakes that you are unaware of? Was the other guy a mate of a mate higher up?

Are you the fall guy?

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Isn't this like one of those films when the Emperor kills the Captain of the Guard for failure and then hands you the Captain's rank?

Be careful. Maybe you are being lined up for a fall? Are there errors, accounting mistakes that you are unaware of? Was the other guy a mate of a mate higher up?

Are you the fall guy?

It's crossed my mind. Let's just say my CV is always up to date.

HOLA4421

That's key to good management - sounds like you have a good approach to the role. Can't stand these hands-off, directorial types who don't understand how the organization works because they won't get their hands dirty.

Hope it goes very well for you.

Cheers Dragon. I'll let you know how it's going a year from now (if it turns out).

HOLA4422

Believe it or not.

Have you mastered 'management-speak' yet?

HOLA4423

Some quite amusing stories...such as..

http://www.b3ta.com/questions/badmanagement/

I have worked at some good places over the years but have had the misfortune to work for some right bastards. One bloke Paul married 40 something with 3 kids, who was the part owner of a PR agency, was a real piece of work. He regularly spoke to his 6 strong female team like pieces of shit, he’d shout, swear and would pretty much do what he could to humiliate us all on a frequent basis. He also got his **** out once on a ‘team building’ trip that they took us on to France, he was and probably still is a complete c**t.

I had to take the company digital camera to a client function and when I went to download the pictures I found loads of shots of him and a very young scantily clad girl in some grubby hotel room. I’d just saved the photos onto my memory stick when he had another wig out in the main office and started bollocking one of my colleagues quite ferociously, I stood up for her and received the same bollocking. He then called us all useless c**ts and began another rant, I lost my temper at this point, told him I’d never been spoken to like this before by a manager and that I had no respect for him professionally or personally and that I was giving him 1 months notice as of that moment. He then maturely shouted ‘well f**k o** then’ at me.. Needless to say the remaining month was not exactly pleasant. It was made worse by the interviews I was made to sit through while they were searching for the poor soul that would become my replacement. They eventually found a guy called Dave, he was really nice and that’s what made it worse because I knew exactly what he was coming into. I gave him my mobile number and told him to give me a call if he had any questions or needed to find any thing. Anyway, I started my new job and had got about a month in when I got a call from Dave, it was pretty unexpected and his opening line was ‘Can I ask you honestly what Paul is like…because he has just sacked me’. Well 30 mins later it transpired that Paul had discovered that Dave had lied at his interview about his previous salary being 18k per annum, Dave had actually been on 17k. Paul wasn’t happy about this and decided to sack him, the ridiculous thing is that I had been on 22k so it clearly wasn’t all about the money. Dave had been in his previous job for 9 years and his MRS. was 7 months pregnant. Admittedly Dave had lied but a grand in the scheme of things wasn’t a lot for Paul. Considering the amount of money he was coning out of loads of our clients for doing ****** all work and the dodgy tax practices that went on in that place. Dave went on to tell me all the stuff they’d told him about me, he also imparted the ******** that Paul had told some of the old clients about me. Paul being the c**t that he was meant that none of it was a surprise but it still pissed me off. Infact it pissed me of enough to meet up with Dave the next week where I had the pleasure in handing over the memory stick with the grubby hotel room shots and the keys to the office which Paul hadn’t even been arsed to ask me for when I left.

I found out from an old colleague about a month later about the showdown that followed in the office. Paul had decided to withhold the salary he owed Dave so Dave paid Paul a visit early one morning. He gave Paul the hiding he deserved and then left with a cheque. About a week later Paul’s MRS chucked him out following the grubby poster campaign that had been displayed along their road for all to see. What goes around, comes around.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived