House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

guitarman001

Will Downing Street Fly The Scottish Flag For Andy Murray?

Heard this on the radio today about how DC is coming under pressure to fly the Scotland flag for Andy Murray, since he flew the Enlgand flag for the football.... what do you guys think? Can't see him doing it - if he doesn't, will make him very (if not more so) unpopular up here (I like him so far, as far as you can like a politician, but I'd also feel betrayed if he didn't).

Heard this on the radio today about how DC is coming under pressure to fly the Scotland flag for Andy Murray, since he flew the Enlgand flag for the football.... what do you guys think? Can't see him doing it - if he doesn't, will make him very (if not more so) unpopular up here (I like him so far, as far as you can like a politician, but I'd also feel betrayed if he didn't).

I'd be happy for it to happen. Don't see why not.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be in the least bit bothered if it didn't happen.

I guess you could argue that technically Scotland is not competing, Andy Murray is, and he happens to be from Scotland.

Either way I couldn't give a hoot and I'd imagine anyone else who isn't Scottish, probably doesn't really care either, much like I'd guess non-English people couldn't give a rats anus about the England flag during the WC.

I'm sure there are some kill joys who would / will have some sort of moral objection.

Course they won't - not seen any footage from England lately? St George crazy - every news scene shot south of the border is chokka wiv 'em.

Starting to get a bit creepy.

Course they won't - not seen any footage from England lately? St George crazy - every news scene shot south of the border is chokka wiv 'em.

Starting to get a bit creepy.

As someone daaan ear wiv 'em. May this go someway to reassuring you.

Note the special attention to detail: The flag is a bit knackered and it's about to rain.

You're welcome!

scotland.jpg

As someone daaan ear wiv 'em. May this go someway to reassuring you.

Note the special attention to detail: The flag is a bit knackered and it's about to rain.

You're welcome!

scotland.jpg

I love the authenticity!

In football, England is definitely distinct from Scotland -- they have two different national teams.

Genuine question (from a complete sports non-fan): Is tennis a UK thing, or an Northern Ireland, Wales, Scotland, England thing?

If tennis treats the UK as a whole, then I guess Andy Murray is a citizen of the UK so wouldn't he be represented by the Union Flag? If tennis is a Scottish national thing (rather than UK), then the Scottish flag would be best.

As Downing Street is a decidedly UK-government place, then I don't see any reason why it can't be used to fly appropriate flags from for all of the UK's individual nations.

Andy who?

Me too. Is he a rugby player or something? F1 driver? Dunno.*

Anyway, I thought the Scots had their own assembly. Can't it fly the flag?

* Not joking BTW, I really don't know who he is.

Why don't they just let it be and leave him to it ? Is it really a surprise that in the first tournament for ages he has not been tipped to do well due to form - he is nailing it ? Is it really a surprise ? Are people in the UK so stupid thay fail to see this over and over again ? Do they not learn their lesson from the England football team and the incessent building up of the pressure ?

Saw BBC this morning. Have, up until the last few days, been very laid back about Murray. All of a sudden - it is live feeds from Wimbledon and asking everyone who will win and cheers all round and 'go Andy go' !!

The stupidity of this country really annoys me sometimes. Call me crazy but why don't they reduce the pressure and then get all excited if he does actually win it...rolleyes.gif

I know. I should be German.

For me, he is part of the United Kingdom as is Scotland, we should support him like we would any representative of the U.K, good luck to him. If he was playing against an English opponent I would be impartial. I don't think of David Coulthard as being Scottish, he is British

I think of all the tw*ts who walk around with ABE T shirts and just wish that chip on their shoulder would fall off.

I don't think the pressure will affect him, he is a proper sportsman who rises to the challenge unlike the football side/manager

Despite being Scottish, I really don't see the need for Downing Street to fly the Saltire on Sunday should Andy make the final. Mainly due to the fact he isn't competing for Scotland, or indeed Great Britain, but of course he is competing for himself.

That's not to say I won't be cheering him on today and also hopefully on Sunday, as its always nice to see someone from our small country doing well on the world stage. But I'm under no illusions as to think he is somehow representing Scotland in the same way our football and rugby teams do.

I find it hard to believe that anyone really cares about the flag thing.

I agree. Never realised Downing Street flew the English flag for the footie. Why did they do it? Shallow pandering and grovelling to public sentiment? (Not really up on the importance of footie, is that the game where chavs chase a bladder of air around the grass thingy and are awarded points for falling over if anyone looks in their direction?)

I see no reason why they would fly the Scottish flag, other than more pandering to public opinion.

Guest Skinty

Despite being Scottish, I really don't see the need for Downing Street to fly the Saltire on Sunday should Andy make the final. Mainly due to the fact he isn't competing for Scotland, or indeed Great Britain, but of course he is competing for himself.

That's not to say I won't be cheering him on today and also hopefully on Sunday, as its always nice to see someone from our small country doing well on the world stage. But I'm under no illusions as to think he is somehow representing Scotland in the same way our football and rugby teams do.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts on it too.

Although I'd also add that even if a football or rugby team wins, ultimately it is of no importance. Sometimes I wonder at the complete irrationality of people going off to some pointless war to die or being maimed like in the trenches of World War One. Why die for the political whims of some bloke in an office in somewhere? Then I look at how emotionally involved people get in the performance of a team collection of over-paid egotistical celebrities that everyone is told represents them and it starts to explain it.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts on it too.

Although I'd also add that even if a football or rugby team wins, ultimately it is of no importance. Sometimes I wonder at the complete irrationality of people going off to some pointless war to die or being maimed like in the trenches of World War One. Why die for the political whims of some bloke in an office in somewhere? Then I look at how emotionally involved people get in the performance of a team collection of over-paid egotistical celebrities that everyone is told represents them and it starts to explain it.

Sport keeps the masses occupied, with us being in no wars (here in the UK), food being easily obtainable there is nothing left for us to do except be tribal

Sport keeps the masses occupied, with us being in no wars (here in the UK), food being easily obtainable there is nothing left for us to do except be tribal

yeah, now that we can't buy any houses any more too :(

Guest X-QUORK

I'd like to see David Cameron wearing an "Anyone but Murray" t-shirt today, but failing that let's hoist that blue flag up for a few hours, it should keep the northern tribes quiet for a bit.

I'd like to see David Cameron wearing an "Anyone but Murray" t-shirt today, but failing that let's hoist that blue flag up for a few hours, it should keep the northern tribes quiet for a bit.

Atleast they have someone who is good at something

the last time I saw a Scotsman in charge, he wasn't that good to be honest :D

He's a tennis player, right?

I get there in the end.

(I know Wimbledon is on at the moment, but that's the extent of my knowledge --- and interest.)

What Andy Murray does he does for himself. When he represented the country at the Olympics he crashed out in the second round to an unfancied Taiwanese player. A month later he got to the final of the US Open chasing prize money of $1.6 million (he had to settle for $800,000 for finishing second). I respect Andy Murray's right to prioritise his own financial benefits. Personally I have always regarded it as ridiculous for sports like tennis, football and soon golf and rugby to be included in the Olympics.

What Andy Murray does he does for himself. When he represented the country at the Olympics he crashed out in the second round to an unfancied Taiwanese player. A month later he got to the final of the US Open chasing prize money of $1.6 million (he had to settle for $800,000 for finishing second). I respect Andy Murray's right to prioritise his own financial benefits. Personally I have always regarded it as ridiculous for sports like tennis, football and soon golf and rugby to be included in the Olympics.

I suppose it could be argued that all sportsmen and -women are in it for themselves to a greater or lesser extent.

I think that sport is one of the ways in which humans demonstrate how tribal we still are. Perhaps the whole idea of an individual (or small group of individuals) representing a nation is a bit silly really.

I don't really understand how, for example, a Man Utd fan feels they can share in the glory of 'their' team when they win, as if it has anything to do with the somewhat arbitrary choice of which team they decide to support (and vice versa when 'their' team gets beaten causing them to feel downcast).

I would say the same about the English football team. Their failure in the World Cup has absolutely nothing to do with me, and nor would their success have had (if they'd had some).

Guest X-QUORK

If he wins, british, if he loses, scottish.

Same as always!

Here, dry your eyes.

8y8k1u.jpg

Guest X-QUORK

Oops, I didn't read the text and used it for something else.

I'll give it a rinse for Injin.

You filthy monkey.