House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Beans

What's Been Your Worst Injury?

Mine will probably sound pathetic compared to some you toughnuts out there, but three years ago I broke my wrist playing 5-a-side (honestly!). As the town I was playing in was 20 miles from home, I ended up driving one handed..My flatmate at the time then took me into A&E and was in there for 6 hours whilst they found out what was wrong with it. When they finally came to sort it out, I was put in the resus room (which was a bit unnerving) whilst they plied me with laughing gas to yank my wrist..

A few days later, when I was having it plastered up, I sat next to a chap who had snapped his arm in half arm wrestling...

Surely theres better stories than that...someone must have had a prolapsed rectum after over vigorously using their aneros...I won't tell, honest.. :)

I have suffered a few fairly substantial injuries from a medical perspective. One quite horrific.

However, the 'worst' in terms of the immediate and ongoing psychological impact on both myself, and an interested party at the time, was the snapping of my banjo string.

Not good.

Really.

As a student, coming home from the pub one night, a few of us howling out songs with arms around shoulders. I was at the end of the line, and we all fell over. Something snapped just above my left ankle as I hit the ground. No problem, hobbled to friend's house and slept it off on the couch. Next morning woke up with giant swollen ankle. We had no money for a taxi, so I cycled to the hospital and found out my leg was broken.

All fixed now.

I have suffered a few fairly substantial injuries from a medical perspective. One quite horrific.

However, the 'worst' in terms of the immediate and ongoing psychological impact on both myself, and an interested party at the time, was the snapping of my banjo string.

Not good.

Really.

Mark? Is that you?

Mine will probably sound pathetic compared to some you toughnuts out there, but three years ago I broke my wrist playing 5-a-side (honestly!). As the town I was playing in was 20 miles from home, I ended up driving one handed..My flatmate at the time then took me into A&E and was in there for 6 hours whilst they found out what was wrong with it. When they finally came to sort it out, I was put in the resus room (which was a bit unnerving) whilst they plied me with laughing gas to yank my wrist..

A few days later, when I was having it plastered up, I sat next to a chap who had snapped his arm in half arm wrestling...

Surely theres better stories than that...someone must have had a prolapsed rectum after over vigorously using their aneros...I won't tell, honest.. :)

Worst - broken leg after being knocked off my bike my a muppet in white van. Oddly though, the most painful by a long way was when I ripped a muscle in my chest climbing a tree. I couldn't breath in without being in agony and it was so bad I actually persuaded the dr to prescribe an opiate for it in the end.

This one by proxy - other half fell off his push bike. Shattered his elbow, broke his collar bone and 4 ribs. His elbow is wired now. He already has one leg full of metal (motorbike accident as a teenager, fractured leg needed metal plates and bolts). He's turning into Barry Sheen.

The only think I've broken is my **** (coccyx) :D

Worst:

1. Motorbike accident in 1996, 4 broken ribs and a broken collar bone. (the ground did the latter, the bike hitting me did the former) Hurt like hell to cough for weeks. Still under strength shoulder on one side.

Close behind:

2. Car accident in 1999, knee felt funny for ages, eventually diagnosed with a snapped ACL in my knee, a year after the original injury. Had surgery, now get arthritis in it, and I thought this an old wives' tale, it hurts more in the damp cold weather.

Musn't grumble. :(

worst is very mild... I was passed a hot iron by a teacher I thought it was cold, he was holding the handle I took it from him holding the metal plate, took a second to realise it was hot and 2 seconds to put it down.... I got blamed! Thinking about it now it probably wasnt my fault, he probably thought it was cold passed it to me, realised it was hot then blamed me for being an idiot and taking it from him to protect himself!

2 x spontaneous pneumothroax events. Hurt like hell and were very scary. Hearing a deflated lung flapping around in your rib cage when you don't know what it is focuses the mind when driving to A&E scared out of your mind.

Probably not a real injury : more the result of body shape (tall and thin) and too much flying.

worst is very mild... I was passed a hot iron by a teacher I thought it was cold, he was holding the handle I took it from him holding the metal plate, took a second to realise it was hot and 2 seconds to put it down.... I got blamed! Thinking about it now it probably wasnt my fault, he probably thought it was cold passed it to me, realised it was hot then blamed me for being an idiot and taking it from him to protect himself!

I picked up a soldering iron from the wrong end once when I wasn't concentrating. It hurt quite a lot but the worst bit was that I couldn't grip anything in my right hand for about a month, which was quite problematic for a highly monodexstrous 14 year old boy.

Guest happy?

I had a rather small and insignificant paper cut today. Definitely the worst injury.

I had a rather small and insignificant paper cut today. Definitely the worst injury.

Ooh. I feel your pain. Don't try to play the big man. It was not insignificant by any means.

I think my worst injury was stabbing myself in the hand with a kitchen knife while separating some frozen burgers for my housemates last year. For a few days my little finger and the right half of my ring finger were numb and tingly. After a while my ring finger was ok but my little finger was still numb and tingly. After a while it seemed ok, but now that I've thought about it again, I don't actually have proper sensation in my left little finger even now but I'd just gotten used to it.

Ooh. Sounds like nerve damage. You should have had that checked at the time.

I just remembered when I stabbed myself in the stomach with a stanley knife. I was cutting some thick rubber piping in a shotblasting booth, drawing the knife towards me (doh) when I slipped and felt a sharp pain. I looked inside my overalls and it just looked like when you pierce a chicken breast. Not much blood but a good 1/2" gaping hole. I almost fainted with that one.

Broken knee falling off a horse whilst riding cross-country. Also done broken ankle, shoulder, other ankle and wrist - also falling off horses...

Not a particularly safe sport, but great fun!

Broken knee falling off a horse whilst riding cross-country. Also done broken ankle, shoulder, other ankle and wrist - also falling off horses...

Anyone fancy going riding with Dragster?

Me neither.

Fractured skull when I was about 7... ran into someone in the playground and hit the deck headfirst. The dent took a couple of years to grow out before it wasn't noticeable anymore.

Other than that, just a few fleshwounds...

C**t of a bouncer smashed most of my teeth out and broke my nose to such a degree it was actually lying flat across my face. That one hurt a bit when I woke up, to top it off it was because he thought I was someone else. Scumbag

Was pissed one night holding a beer bottle and fell over like a tit, the bottle smashed. I stood back up and felt something warm dripping down the front of my shirt looked down and my hand was literally squirting claret out of a large hole. Didn't hurt at all but I must have lost about a pint or more of blood before I got it patched up.

I think my worst injury was stabbing myself in the hand with a kitchen knife while separating some frozen burgers for my housemates last year. For a few days my little finger and the right half of my ring finger were numb and tingly. After a while my ring finger was ok but my little finger was still numb and tingly. After a while it seemed ok, but now that I've thought about it again, I don't actually have proper sensation in my left little finger even now but I'd just gotten used to it.

:lol:

I'm so glad you said that!

I thought I was the only person daft enough to that sort of thing!

A few years ago I was opening some woodglue by using a sharp knife to poke a hole in the tip. I slipped and ended up with knife going into my hand in between the thumb and first finger and it pierced all the way down to wrist.

It spurted blood a couple of times and the blood was going about 2 feet, then my brain caught up with events and the adrenaline kicked in blood started spurting out to about 18 feet spraying the walls, carpet, ceiling etc etc

A few hours later after the artery had closed up and I was waiting to get stitched there was just the deep hole going into hand showing the muscle and bone. Very freaky staring into your own body like that, you do actually look like the anatomy drawings on the inside.

My poor hands have taken a bit of abuse from being a bit of a muppet over the years, I also knocked the iron off the ironing board and automatically caught it, ended up with nasty burns on fingers and wrist. Hanging a picture once I stepped back to admire it and the nail comes out of the plaster, I react and end up putting my hand through the glass and into the wall. End result a broken knuckle, more blood and shards of glass sticking out fingers.

Had quite a few injuries from climbing, a couple of breaks, torn muscles, tendon injuries, sprains, bruised bones and a couple of concussions etc but the thing that had the worst effect was ripping my knee apart. Career ending and life changing.

Just done it for the third time as it was permenantly weakend a decade ago so I've now gone over 2 years of my life being unable to walk without crutches :angry:.

Not the collar-bone?

You horsey types break that one for fun, I thought.

Could have been my friend that was next to you, he broke his arm whilst arm wrestling. It was in Leeds about 5 years or so ago.

My worst injury was breaking my thumb playing squash, and I had a hernia when I was very little, possibly from sliding down the stairs on my bum too many times. I think pulling a ham string is actually more painful than the broken thumb though.

I think my worst injury was stabbing myself in the hand with a kitchen knife ....

I did that trying to open a tin of dog food by stabbing a kitchen knife into the top, needless to say, I missed and the knife went into my hand by the base of the thumb and out of the palm. (I was about 10 years old at the time)

My worst injury though was when I fell backwards off a ladder, aged 8 (me, not the ladder) and put my arms behind me to break my fall. Double snap with protruding bones.