House Price Crash Forum

Is There An Opposite To Tourettes ?

ccc

HOLA441

Surely if people uncontrollably shout out random offensive things and swearwords - there are a similar group of people who do the opposite ?

Instead of shouting out - '****** you you fat ******ing ****'

They shout - 'Hey, have you lost some weight recently !!'

Or instead of shouting - 'Die, die, ****** ******'

They shout 'Lovely, pink, Fluffy, jelly !!'.

In conclusion:

I think Tourettes is real, but the people that have it are not as 'uncontrollable' as we are led to believe. We all have urges to shout out rude things to random people. (I think !!)

I think Tourettes is just those who don't have the self control to hold back. And like many things, once it starts it quickly becomes a habit.

Thoughts ?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

I believe Tourettes suffers should out a mix of things, offensive and non offensive, they also produce ticks and other sounds and have involuntary movements. There was a documentary on the tv and one sufferer shouted out 'fuffy rabbits' or something equally daft, it was just something that was stuck in his head.

Does anyone have a phrase or word that they say (or have to stop themselves from saying) when they are in the shower, going to the toilet or not thinking about anything else accidently, a word that is sub-consciously associated with an action, IMHO it effects lots more people than you think? People with dementure tend to say the same phrases and worlds again and again, which is similar

HOLA445

I believe Tourettes suffers should out a mix of things, offensive and non offensive, they also produce ticks and other sounds and have involuntary movements. There was a documentary on the tv and one sufferer shouted out 'fuffy rabbits' or something equally daft, it was just something that was stuck in his head.

Does anyone have a phrase or word that they say (or have to stop themselves from saying) when they are in the shower, going to the toilet or not thinking about anything else accidently, a word that is sub-consciously associated with an action, IMHO it effects lots more people than you think? People with dementure tend to say the same phrases and worlds again and again, which is similar

I am sure they do shout out random 'nice' things too. However the ones I have seen on TV tended to shout out a lot of obscenities.

Interesting what you say about certain words in relation to certain things. I don't think that is uncommon.

HOLA446

Surely if people uncontrollably shout out random offensive things and swearwords - there are a similar group of people who do the opposite ?

Instead of shouting out - '****** you you fat ******ing ****'

They shout - 'Hey, have you lost some weight recently !!'

Or instead of shouting - 'Die, die, ****** ******'

They shout 'Lovely, pink, Fluffy, jelly !!'.

In conclusion:

I think Tourettes is real, but the people that have it are not as 'uncontrollable' as we are led to believe. We all have urges to shout out rude things to random people. (I think !!)

I think Tourettes is just those who don't have the self control to hold back. And like many things, once it starts it quickly becomes a habit.

Thoughts ?

The condition you are describing used to be called "English".

HOLA447

I am sure they do shout out random 'nice' things too. However the ones I have seen on TV tended to shout out a lot of obscenities.

Interesting what you say about certain words in relation to certain things. I don't think that is uncommon.

You could have tried Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourette%27s. The article on coprolalia is probably what you really want.

Only about 10% of Tourette's patients exhibit coprolalia, but it tends to attract more attention than any other symptom.

Let's face it, it makes good TV.

HOLA448

The condition you are describing used to be called "English".

Ah - so then we could just describe Tourettes as Dundonian.

You could have tried Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourette%27s. The article on coprolalia is probably what you really want.

Let's face it, it makes good TV.

Ah I see. Oh well there goes that idea. Anyway - I should be congratulated for actually asking a question without checking it out on Google/Wikipedia first. :)

HOLA449

Ah I see. Oh well there goes that idea. Anyway - I should be congratulated for actually asking a question without checking it out on Google/Wikipedia first. :)

Which is more reliable, Wikipedia or HPC? Tough call...

The Wikipedia coprolalia article's not as informative as it might be; it mostly talks about coprolalia in realtion to Tourette's, and it's not clear whether it exists as an independent condition. It seems to be pretty much endemic in Leith though.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Is There An Opposite To Tourettes ?

Not sure, but if there is I guess it'll involve watching an England football match whilst not screaming hysterical abuse at the bunch of clueless overpaid cretins.

HOLA4413

If Tourettes is shouting out things that you didn't intend to then surely the opposite is not being able to say things that you want to say? I think that affects basically 100% of the population at some time or another.

As I said before I think most of the population has a mild form of Tourettes. Everyone has words that come to your head that you stop yourself from saying. Some/Most people have words or phrases that pop or try to pop out out when they aren't thinking, taking a shower, using toilet, Mumbling when deep in thought, or excited about something, or repeating a repetitive task. Its a sliding scale,its just most of the population control it in most circumstances.

HOLA4414

If Tourettes is shouting out things that you didn't intend to then surely the opposite is not being able to say things that you want to say? I think that affects basically 100% of the population at some time or another.

HOLA4415

Ah - this has confirmed that it does affect everyone. If even you can't say what you want to say sometimes then we must all be afflicted.

I was being facetious...:lol:

HOLA4416
I was going to say exactly the same thing. .

.....absolutely ridiculous......just a ......bigoted woman....

HOLA4417

Does anyone have a phrase or word that they say (or have to stop themselves from saying) when they are in the shower, going to the toilet or not thinking about anything else accidently,

"If I could get three quarters of a million..."

And then I think - "Of what?"

And I really don't know.

Archived