House Price Crash Forum
gruffydd

New Yearly Property Tax For Ireland

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/property-tax-how-will-it-work-2241335.html

Homeowners will have to fork out hundreds every year if the Government presses ahead with plans to introduce a new property tax.

Thursday July 01 2010

THE prospect of a property tax is looming large as the Government attempts to plug holes in the Exchequer finances.

An annual tax based on the value and size of the property is what is being considered, it is understood.

For a lower-valued house, homeowners would pay around €250 a year, while those with a pricier house in a sought-after area would pay more than €3,000 a year.

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/property-tax-how-will-it-work-2241335.html

Homeowners will have to fork out hundreds every year if the Government presses ahead with plans to introduce a new property tax.

Thursday July 01 2010

THE prospect of a property tax is looming large as the Government attempts to plug holes in the Exchequer finances.

An annual tax based on the value and size of the property is what is being considered, it is understood.

For a lower-valued house, homeowners would pay around €250 a year, while those with a pricier house in a sought-after area would pay more than €3,000 a year.

Council Tax did not stop our boom in HPI.

Council Tax did not stop our boom in HPI.

How is that Irish exodus going - place will soon be too expensive for them to live in. Just like the UK. Soon Eire will just be a home for rich popstars and Americans who love the old country.

Guest sillybear2

It looks like the Republic is finally getting a council tax then.

Edited by sillybear2

How is that Irish exodus going - place will soon be too expensive for them to live in. Just like the UK. Soon Eire will just be a home for rich popstars and Americans who love the old country.

why in gods name would the above people want to live in Ireland - depressing to say the least

Guest sillybear2

Oh FFS I was going to buy a house there and use it to store DVD's and stuff.

Just store it down that old coal mine next to your unwanted nuclear waste.

Guest sillybear2

Can't - someone dobbed me in to health and safety.

You should have just used your father in law's mustard gas on them.

Crikey! Could Ireland be setting a historical precedent of introducing Land Value Taxation and thus forcing out vacant plot speculators and Rachmann rent merchants, and taking some of the burden off regressive and enterprise-stifling consumption and labour taxes, and further reducing and ultimately stabilizing property prices at an accessible level to 'average joes' thus improving morale in the population? Oh dear I hope not - big brother over the Irish Sea won't like this one little bit and will have to give naughty Ireland a jolly good telling off. There'll be tears I tell you, there'll be tears.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/were-second-most-expensive-country-in-eu-to-buy-groceries-2238248.html

2nd most expensive country in the EU to buy groceries, after Denmark - groceries cost 1/3 more than UK -

Crikey! Could Ireland be setting a historical precedent of introducing Land Value Taxation and thus forcing out vacant plot speculators and Rachmann rent merchants, and taking some of the burden off regressive and enterprise-stifling consumption and labour taxes, and further reducing and ultimately stabilizing property prices at an accessible level to 'average joes' thus improving morale in the population? Oh dear I hope not - big brother over the Irish Sea won't like this one little bit and will have to give naughty Ireland a jolly good telling off. There'll be tears I tell you, there'll be tears.

Land Tax does not have the effect you refer to! Australia has had such a tax for decades yet it has not stopped their property becoming THE most expensive in the world currently. Property speculation there is rife. The income multiples are eye watering and one day it will collapse, but not just yet. It is regulation of bank lending that can bring matters into order for the long term and really nothing else.

It looks like the Republic if finally getting a council tax then.

Surely the big difference is in Ireland they'll be taxed whether it's vacant or occupied whereas the in the UK, the owner/landlord doesn't pay CT if it's empty and if it has tenants, the tenants pay the CT.

why in gods name would the above people want to live in Ireland - depressing to say the least

It's a beautiful and far less crowded place. I often wonder why on earth people would rather live in London, but hey!

The Commission on Taxation report, which was issued last September, recommended that the tax should apply to residential properties, second homes and holiday homes, which means it would replace the €200 levy imposed by local authorities.

The owners of residential housing that is rented out would also have to pay the tax.

So you have to pay the tax on all of your houses? That should please all the people who decided that an extra house or two would be the ideal way to make some pocket money.

Edited by Scunnered

Guest sillybear2

So you have to pay the tax on all of your houses? That should please all the people who decided that an extra house or two would be the ideal way to make some pocket money.

20% of Irish homes are empty, I wonder if the government will levy this tax on the banks... err, itself?

20% of Irish homes are empty, I wonder if the government will levy this tax on the banks... err, itself?

:blink: Surely someone must own them. Or are there lots of houses that were built and never sold?

:blink: Surely someone must own them. Or are there lots of houses that were built and never sold?

Repossessed?

+ empty property levy, that would be fun :lol:

Guest sillybear2

They belong to the state slush fund: NAMA.

Edited by sillybear2

It's a beautiful and far less crowded place. I often wonder why on earth people would rather live in London, but hey!

horses for course I guess, but Ireland would be one of the last places I would ever want to live.

Guest sillybear2

That's right, Dougal!

horses for course I guess, but Ireland would be one of the last places I would ever want to live.

And long may it stay that way - if too many people moved over here (I live in NI), it would be spoiled! ;)

That's right, Dougal!

:lol:

I think it already is - socially, economically, etc., it's a right mess! My family in Donegal has gone from 10 to 0 in the last year - people are escaping - soon it will be like west wales - loads of old people and not alot else! N Ireland unspoilt. Don't make me larf! Is it all those lovely unspolit towns like Antrim, Larne, Ballymena, Newry, Dungannon, Banbridge? Hmmm ever wondered why there's such an exodus over to Donegal every bank holiday!

Edited by gruffydd

I think it already is - socially, economically, etc., it's a right mess! My family in Donegal has gone from 10 to 0 in the last year - people are escaping - soon it will be like west wales - loads of old people and not alot else! N Ireland unspoilt. Don't make me larf! Is it all those lovely unspolit towns like Antrim, Larne, Ballymena and Newry? Hmmm ever wondered why there's such an exodus over to Donegal every bank holiday!

That's the worst thing about Donegal.