House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reck B

Yellow Pages

Our yellow pages salesman popped into the office a couple of weeeks ago to discuss the forthcoming years advertising. We'd previously spent £10-£15k per year on ads over the last few years but with a seriousely dwindling ROI, barely breaking even over the last year decided to chop it right back to a single line entry and divert the spend elsewhere. To say he was gutted was an understatement! I think he wanted to leave the office via the window instead of the lift...

Yellow Pages books are set to become much smaller in size - he insisted this was so it has been redesigned so it can be popped through the letterbox! (nothing to do with businesses moving away from this archaic media)

Will Yellow Pages survive the recession? I think they are pinning their hopes to developing Yell.com, but does anyone even use that?

Our yellow pages salesman popped into the office a couple of weeeks ago to discuss the forthcoming years advertising. We'd previously spent £10-£15k per year on ads over the last few years but with a seriousely dwindling ROI, barely breaking even over the last year decided to chop it right back to a single line entry and divert the spend elsewhere. To say he was gutted was an understatement! I think he wanted to leave the office via the window instead of the lift...

Yellow Pages books are set to become much smaller in size - he insisted this was so it has been redesigned so it can be popped through the letterbox! (nothing to do with businesses moving away from this archaic media)

Will Yellow Pages survive the recession? I think they are pinning their hopes to developing Yell.com, but does anyone even use that?

Aren't yellow pages online?

Aren't yellow pages online?

As yell.com I think.

The traditional yellow pages does seem like a bit of a dinosaur in the digital age and the printing and distribution costs must be considerable. I must admit I havent used yellow pages in years.

Guest X-QUORK

I use Yell more out of habit than anything else, it's pretty limited IMO. Use the Yellow Pages book maybe three or four times a year.

I think I read somewhere that half of all yellow pages go straight in the bin and unless people put it aside for recycling, straight into landfill - hundreds of tons of them. No longer required if you have the internet I reckon.

Yell.com has links to businesses with there own websites anyway.

Yell has been replaced by google, nice free integration on your phone via google maps, you get ratings, feedback and you can see where it is located

Yell has been replaced by google, nice free integration on your phone via google maps, you get ratings, feedback and you can see where it is located

However all these sites are bugger all use when t'internets and/or mobiles go down.

I use the paper directories to find water/lec/gas etc numbers when things go tits up.

We cancelled all Yellow Pages listings on the grounds that it just encouraged customers to ring up branches which TBH we don't really want them to do. Toyed with a call centre number but just decided coversions to sales wasn't worth the cost and most queries were people wanting to bring things back.

Now, for queries, it's visit a store and speak to someone, email customer services or b*gger off and aggravate some other company.

I do find the internet not particularly good at finding local tradespeople. Usually you have to go by referrals anyway as good ones, even in a recession, seem to be like hen's teeth.