House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Northwest Smith

Whatever Happened To Haiti

There was an interesting podcast on Hati by This American Life, it was a good one, explains what did and didnt happen, just click on the stream:

http://www.thisameri...408/island-time

This American life is a very good podcast series, dont let the name put you off, its a free podcast, they only charge if you download old ones (but you can stream them for free). They have a new free one every week....

It's probably not a good holiday destination but I remember the Billions of $ promised to help them rebuild yet there is nothing in the news about it

and the rainy season starts soon.

It never ceases to amaze me the here today gone tomorrow headlines. There's always something new that comes along that bumps it off the top spot. Think of a news disaster story that had massive coverage in recent years, now tell me the date the disaster occured? Can't? Okay how about the year? Probably still can't. It's not outside the realms of possibility the Macondo blowout will go the same way and BP will crawl back from the abyss.

Probably much like it was before the disaster ie a countrywide shanty town.

Except now minus any children as theyve all been 'adopted' (read bought) by bible thumping americans from Idaho.

It never ceases to amaze me the here today gone tomorrow headlines. There's always something new that comes along that bumps it off the top spot. Think of a news disaster story that had massive coverage in recent years, now tell me the date the disaster occured? Can't? Okay how about the year? Probably still can't. It's not outside the realms of possibility the Macondo blowout will go the same way and BP will crawl back from the abyss.

Thats my theory to explain why BP aren't fighting the media war on it now. They will wait until it is necessary.

By 2012 they'll have bred enough to surpass pre-quake population levels:

Haiti population article

Pity, really, because there are so many of them living there, especially given that they've pretty much deforested the place so all the topsoil gets washed away so they can't grow good crops.

It is still a dump, with rampant corruption, murderous crime, high instance of rape, lots of people with AIDs, etc etc.........

Complete sh1thole, basically.

It's not in the news because nobody cares.

That's the brutal truth.

I'm probably guilty of not caring, it just struck me what happens to all those promises of billions and then nothing really happens.

Asked about Haiti's earthquake recovery effort, he acknowledged that very little of the $5.3 billion pledged in Haitian aid has actually been delivered. So far it's been less than 1 per cent — just $40 million from Brazil.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5jfa3k8yftbjrHhIU6Hdbs-xBxuOg