House Price Crash Forum
nw3crash

Old Folks Mentality...

I went to see this house http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-15486738.html back in January 2009. It was then on the market at 1.3m and, in pure HPC style, I offered 1.025m. We obviously did not get it (there was another offer at 1.05m, also rejected) and the old people living there (who find it really difficult to negotiate the stairs) withdrew it from the market.

In April this year, in desperation, I sent the vendors a letter saying that we would be prepared to pay the 1.3m and to give me a call if they were interested. They called me and they said that they were actually going to put it back on the market but at a higher price (1.6m) as what happened to the housing market in 2008-2009 was clearly an "aberration" and the real "value" was 1.6m.

They seemed to be right: the place was under offer in a few days. However, it recently came back onto the market.

These people basically prefer to be stuck inside (they are always on the second floor, where they built a kitchen and very rarely leave the house because of the stairs) rather than sell for less than what it is "worth"...

Sometimes, I despair, although at least I convinced my husband to wait a bit longer before buying...

I went to see this house http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-15486738.html back in January 2009. It was then on the market at 1.3m and, in pure HPC style, I offered 1.025m. We obviously did not get it (there was another offer at 1.05m, also rejected) and the old people living there (who find it really difficult to negotiate the stairs) withdrew it from the market.

In April this year, in desperation, I sent the vendors a letter saying that we would be prepared to pay the 1.3m and to give me a call if they were interested. They called me and they said that they were actually going to put it back on the market but at a higher price (1.6m) as what happened to the housing market in 2008-2009 was clearly an "aberration" and the real "value" was 1.6m.

They seemed to be right: the place was under offer in a few days. However, it recently came back onto the market.

These people basically prefer to be stuck inside (they are always on the second floor, where they built a kitchen and very rarely leave the house because of the stairs) rather than sell for less than what it is "worth"...

Sometimes, I despair, although at least I convinced my husband to wait a bit longer before buying...

Wonder what they bought it for? This madness will never be repeated in our lifetime. People that have bought in the last two years are probably rubbing their hands thinking this will be them when they are old. Fat chance.

It's lovely. Horridly expensive.

They are insane.

A stair life will ruin the house for selling but make their life easier - or they could have just took your offer.

It's horrid to hope for hips to snap but they will sooner or later.

Edited by SarahBell

They bought it in the Seventies, the Land Registry title does not show any price, but I would assume 100-200k...

Sarah, what you said is funny as I was thinking exactly the same: the sooner one of them falls from the stairs (five floors and they are both in their eighties and with mobility problems) the sooner they will realise that life is more important than an extra 300 grand. Mind, I really don't wish them any harm, but that place is really very, very unsuitable for them and the lady of the house uses a Zimmer frame...

It is crazy what greed does to people

Can you blame them really? They had some offers lower than they were willing to accept and out-of-the-blue 15 months later someone writes a 'desperate' letter capitulating and agreeing to pay the asking price. By lucky chance they were just about to put the house back on the market. ;) I am surprised they haven't raised the price even more.

I was going to mention stairs, elderly people etc but a number of right-minded people have already beaten me to it. :P

Good luck with finding somewhere nice. I am shocked at these London prices :blink:

If I was them I would hold out for the 1.6 million if not more.. Why should they accept? I find this 'concern' about navigating the house at their age not very pleasant..

Why not go the whole hog and show 'concern' that they may have have a heart attack climbing the stairs and die and then maybe forced to sell..

Greed works both ways..

If I was them I would hold out for the 1.6 million if not more.. Why should they accept? I find this 'concern' about navigating the house at their age not very pleasant..

Why not go the whole hog and show 'concern' that they may have have a heart attack climbing the stairs and die and then maybe forced to sell..

Greed works both ways..

Just wait for the bastards to die. As long as some mug doesnt get lumbered with it by then.

One million pound for that though?! I never cease to be amazed! Mental. Why not buy a mansion in the home counties with several acres and commute half an hour?

Greed works both ways..

I don't feel any "concern" for them, I am just astonished at what people do for money.

I want to pay what I think is right for a property, I want to live in it and if ever the time comes that I need to sell, I would love it if prices were the same as when I bought. I hope that, when I am 80, I will be enjoying my last years, not worried about falling down the stairs.

Life is not only about money: for example, I just started a new job that pays much less than I was making before but where I can have a life and it is much more relaxed.

To conclude, they have now been trying to sell for 18 months (well, they withdrew it for a while) and it might take another 18 months. Is it worth it?

Just wait for the bastards to die. As long as some mug doesnt get lumbered with it by then.

One million pound for that though?! I never cease to be amazed! Mental. Why not buy a mansion in the home counties with several acres and commute half an hour?

If I had that money to spend near me.......

Edited by jaspers

If I had that money to spend near me.......

Beautiful...

Camblesforth Hall is a unique opportunity to purchase a Grade I listed William and Mary house of the 1690's. It would be hard to find a more beautiful property set in grounds of approximately three acres, complete with outdoor swimming pool, tennis court and entertainment area. The property is ascribed by English Heritage to John Etty a leading craftsman and architect of the day and offers a wealth of history and character.

Now that I would pay £1.5m for.

Edited by Pent Up

I will tell you why. It currently takes me 30 minutes door to door to go to work. In the evening I go home with my husband on the Vespa and it only takes me 15 minutes. I can go to the doctor, to all of my children's school events without having to take the day off. All this while living next to Hampstead Heath and 20 minutes away from the theatres in the West End. And, we also like the idea of being in an area where there are other foreigners rather than feeling alien in the Home Counties...So, I am afraid it will have to be 1m pounds for a terraced house. I just hope it will have to be 1.2-1.3 rather than 1.5-1.6 (which we can't afford anyway). So I am anxiously waiting for THE crash...

Here's another suggestion of what to do with 1.3million pounds.

Buy a massive house in Australia for £400k, put the rest in the bank and live off the interest in the sunshine rather than kill yourself in the London rat race. If you get bored you can work part time so you don't eat into your capital.

1.3 million for a terraced house...people have lost all sense of what 1.3 million can do for you in the rest of the world.

I will tell you why. It currently takes me 30 minutes door to door to go to work. In the evening I go home with my husband on the Vespa and it only takes me 15 minutes. I can go to the doctor, to all of my children's school events without having to take the day off. All this while living next to Hampstead Heath and 20 minutes away from the theatres in the West End. And, we also like the idea of being in an area where there are other foreigners rather than feeling alien in the Home Counties...So, I am afraid it will have to be 1m pounds for a terraced house. I just hope it will have to be 1.2-1.3 rather than 1.5-1.6 (which we can't afford anyway). So I am anxiously waiting for THE crash...

!!!!!! Buy a big house elsewhere in England and you'll have spare change for a weekend flat in London so you can spend the night whilst watching plays and other things.

Perhaps this thread should be renamed "Folks in London Mentality".

!!!!!! Buy a big house elsewhere in England and you'll have spare change for a weekend flat in London so you can spend the night whilst watching plays and other things.

Perhaps this thread should be renamed "Folks in London Mentality".

+1

Utter madness.

They bought it in the Seventies, the Land Registry title does not show any price, but I would assume 100-200k...

Sarah, what you said is funny as I was thinking exactly the same: the sooner one of them falls from the stairs (five floors and they are both in their eighties and with mobility problems) the sooner they will realise that life is more important than an extra 300 grand. Mind, I really don't wish them any harm, but that place is really very, very unsuitable for them and the lady of the house uses a Zimmer frame...

It is crazy what greed does to people

Could well be that they don't actually want to move and are looking for excuses not to. Moving is a massive upheaval for anyone, let alone when you're elderly, have lived in a place for decades and accumulated a load of stuff, much of which you'll have to get shot of if you downsize.

They might be under pressure from relatives who a) either want some of the money, or b] want them safely tucked up in some soulless, 'sensible' warden-assisted place, so they don't feel obliged to help or worry about them.

Or both.

Fair enough, Personally I think theres no way having work near the doctors etc could compensate for living in luxury with several acres.

I quite like the property and you could make it quite funky, its the sort of house that I'd like as a pad for going to the theater or when working late in town.

That said, at that price it does seem a bit steep. If they couldn't sell at £1.3m, I can't see it shifting at £1.6m even if there is a London bounce (which is ending according to Savills). Personally i prefer being in Surrey, I can be in town in 1 hour and have a bigger garden and 800 more square feet for under £1m.

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein

Maybe they have friends and relatives nearby, and want to buy into a similar quailty of house in the same district, but not so many floors? They would then be under pressure to realise a good price, because they need the money to buy another place. Few make a profit on MOVING house as they tend to buy somewhere similar.

The is the sticky holding up the housing market at the moment IMV. It's very hard to sell and move to a smaller place, and until we get some forced sales coming through, I don't see much movement, only market stagnation.

I find it incredible that people here cheerfully state they want someone to break and hip and or die. I dread to think what you must be like and how bitter and unpleasant your must be. Disgusting filth.

And as it happens I think 1.6 for this property in this road is about right. So you wish ill on someone just because they will not sell you a property at 300k less than they will get from someone else. Oddly enough nor would I.

£1.6 million for a terraced house!!! :lol:

It is an incredibly nice area though - totally chav free and close to a village green with parish church, 17th century pub etc and Hampstead heath. 'Dearly I loved thee, 31 West Hill' wrote Sir John Betjeman, who grew up there.

The only downside is the very steep hill which is hard going on foot and means you get a fair amount of engine strain noise etc from the traffic. It's also a long way from a tube station but the kind of people who would live there probably don't know what a tube station is anyway.

Still, 1.6mil is laughable, but whilst there are superrich euro bankers etc in London these prices will get paid.

Edited by Austin Allegro

Yes, it is really lovely...Views over Hampstead Heath in the back, and over the idyllic Holly Lodge in the front...But it is really too expensive for us considering that it also needs some work to "bring it up to contemporary standards"...As you can see, I know the jargon...If my stock market recommendations are wrong, I know where to look for another job now...

By the way, bazquin, I think YOU are the bitter and twisted person...It was a bit of a banter, none of us really wish any harm to these people...If you can't understand the spirit in which something is written, please don't comment at all. Many thanks.

...I dread to think what you must be like and how bitter and unpleasant your must be. Disgusting filth.

Yes, but there are so many people that deny man-made global warming :D