House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

juvenal

Even More Kids Should Go To University Says David Miliband

London Evening Standard article (Paul Waugh) tonight:

Most school exams at 16 should be axed as part of a radical reform of Britain's education system, David Miliband urged today.

The Labour leadership front runner said that 'overtesting' in schools diverted pupils from real learning and claimed that GCSEs were becoming increasingly irrelevant with the shift to a school-leaving age of 18. In a further sharp difference with Tory-LibDem policy, he also called for an increase in graduate numbers so that 60% of all 18-30 year olds attended university....

He also said that..schools could dispense with externally marked exams altogether at the age of 16.

Have to pay kids on the dole whereas students take on debt and pay for their own upkeep.

What we really need is another 50,000 Oxbridge PPE graduates who can become as equally unproductive as the Miliband bros.

What do an Oxbridge grad and a lighthouse in the desert have in common?

They're both very bright and f*ck all use.

Why on earth should 60% attend university?

Cos it helps to churn out endebted sheeple.

I love the idea of not marking externally at 16. They're just trying to avoid kids being on the dole by devaluing their education.

Essays? Comprehension? It's all multi-choice!

Why????

In Germany 22% attend university

In America, 54%

Germany isnt generally regarded as an educational basket case.

All we've got to show for 50% university rates is a chronic shortage of plumbers, builders, carpenters, and a chronic excess of unemployed, underpaid and overqualified non-job hopeful goons.

I ask DaveEd again, Why?

Most school exams at 16 should be axed as part of a radical reform of Britain's education system, David Miliband urged today.

The Labour leadership front runner said that 'overtesting' in schools diverted pupils from real learning and claimed that GCSEs were becoming increasingly irrelevant with the shift to a school-leaving age of 18. In a further sharp difference with Tory-LibDem policy, he also called for an increase in graduate numbers so that 60% of all 18-30 year olds attended university....

He also said that..schools could dispense with externally marked exams altogether at the age of 16.

huh?

how about making the bloody things harder.

examination debasement I figure is much like currency debauchment via inflation.....printy printy.

..then everybody else around the world figures out that sheets of toilet paper are more valuable,and choose to wipe their @rses on city+guilds instead of andrex.

Cos it helps to churn out endebted sheeple.

I love the idea of not marking externally at 16. They're just trying to avoid kids being on the dole by devaluing their education.

Essays? Comprehension? It's all multi-choice!

YEP

link

I accept this award on behalf of all the fine teachers I've known over the years who've struggled to make their transactions with children honorable ones, men and women who are never complacent, always questioning, always wrestling to define and redefine endlessly what the word "education" should mean. A Teacher of the Year is not the best teacher around, those people are too quiet to be easily uncovered, but he is a standard-bearer, symbolic of these private people who spend their lives gladly in the service of children. This is their award as well as mine.

We live in a time of great school crisis. Our children rank at the bottom of nineteen industrial nations in reading, writing and arithmetic. At the very bottom. The world's narcotic economy is based upon our own consumption of the commodity, if we didn't buy so many powdered dreams the business would collapse – and schools are an important sales outlet. Our teenage suicide rate is the highest in the world and suicidal kids are rich kids for the most part, not the poor. In Manhattan fifty per cent of all new marriages last less than five years. So something is wrong for sure.

Our school crisis is a reflection of this greater social crisis. We seem to have lost our identity. Children and old people are penned up and locked away from the business of the world to a degree without precedent – nobody talks to them anymore and without children and old people mixing in daily life a community has no future and no past, only a continuous present. In fact, the name "community" hardly applies to the way we interact with each other. We live in networks, not communities, and everyone I know is lonely because of that. In some strange way school is a major actor in this tragedy just as it is a major actor in the widening guilt among social classes. Using school as a sorting mechanism we appear to be on the way to creating a caste system, complete with untouchables who wander through subway trains begging and sleep on the streets.

I've noticed a fascinating phenomenon in my twenty-five years of teaching – that schools and schooling are increasingly irrelevant to the great enterprises of the planet. No one believes anymore that scientists are trained in science classes or politicians in civics classes or poets in English classes. The truth is that schools don't really teach anything except how to obey orders. This is a great mystery to me because thousands of humane, caring people work in schools as teachers and aides and administrators but the abstract logic of the institution overwhelms their individual contributions. Although teachers do care and do work very hard, the institution is psychopathic – it has no conscience. It rings a bell and the young man in the middle of writing a poem must close his notebook and move to different cell where he must memorize that man and monkeys derive from a common ancestor.

Our form of compulsory schooling is an invention of the state of Massachusetts around 1850. It was resisted – sometimes with guns – by an estimated eighty per cent of the Massachusetts population, the last outpost in Barnstable on Cape Cod not surrendering its children until the 1880's when the area was seized by militia and children marched to school under guard.

Now here is a curious idea to ponder. Senator Ted Kennedy's office released a paper not too long ago claiming that prior to compulsory education the state literacy rate was 98% and after it the figure never again reached above 91% where it stands in 1990. I hope that interests you.

Here is another curiosity to think about. The homeschooling movement has quietly grown to a size where one and a half million young people are being educated entirely by their own parents. Last month the education press reported the amazing news that children schooled at home seem to be five or even ten years ahead of their formally trained peers in their ability to think.

I don't think we'll get rid of schools anytime soon, certainly not in my lifetime, but if we're going to change what is rapidly becoming a disaster of ignorance, we need to realize that the school institution "schools" very well, but it does not "educate" – that's inherent in the design of the thing. It's not the fault of bad teachers or too little money spent, it's just impossible for education and schooling ever to be the same thing.

Schools were designed by Horace Mann and Barnard Sears and Harper of the University of Chicago and Thorndyke of Columbia Teachers College and some other men to be instruments of the scientific management of a mass population. Schools are intended to produce through the application of formulae, formulaic human beings whose behavior can be predicted and controlled.

so we don't have to find jobs for them until they are 21

tim

Why????

In Germany 22% attend university

In America, 54%

Germany isnt generally regarded as an educational basket case.

All we've got to show for 50% university rates is a chronic shortage of plumbers, builders, carpenters, and a chronic excess of unemployed, underpaid and overqualified non-job hopeful goons.

I ask DaveEd again, Why?

Easy you offer plumbing degrees, bricklaying degrees etc... £20k of debt just so you qualified to build houses.

Indeed. Has anybody told him he's not in power anymore and theres nothing much he can do about it.

:lol:

Guest spp

Getting more kids into debt = greater economic activity (short term).

It's all about the spending power now. GB move over...you have a successor!

Now David Milliband has more opportunity to open his mouth, he's making himself look like a stupid geek more often.

So he wants unemployment figures manipulated down, and has the bright idea of more people in university. Bravo!

Well who the hell is going to pay for it, and what's the practical use?

Doesn't cut the mustard as a leader IMO.

Degrees are only one type of education suitable for a a particular type of learning style. Apprenticeships, Colleges Vocational education count just as much. Degrees indoctrinates the young into borrowing culture that is hard to get out of, enabling either the rich or the wreckless to go to Uni. We have only had about 10 years of degree debt culture, just about the time you would expect these (in theory) higher earners buy houses. What are they doing instead leaving thecountry if they've got any sense

Seems totally irrelevant to me to have a Labour apparatchnik blowing the wind.

After 5 years, Clegg will have shown that the up and coming left wing party, well fit for Government is the LibDem Party.

Getting more kids into debt = greater economic activity (short term).

It's all about the spending power now. GB move over...you have a successor!

So you are saying we need more children so that we can have perpetual growth based on them taking on debt to go to University.

This seems a cunning plan.

I already have 4 should I impregnate the wife again?

More nonsense from the Labour party. To balance and grow the economy we need APPROPRIATE skills. It seems to me that over the last few years:

• The number of students has increased
  • The quality of a university education has gone down (as an employer some of the people coming out of university are virtually illiterate).
  • The number and quality of craft/trades people has nose-dived - hence the need for skilled immigrant labour.
  • Our economy has become overly dependent on the financial sector (strange that you seem to need few vocational qualifications to work in the city)

As a radical approach, we should:

• Reintroduce ability based education - achievement should be regarded as good, but standards must be maintained.
  • In all stages of education, introduce marking based on standard deviation, then everyone will know where they fit in the world and employers will be able to tell who is really talented, rather than having to try and work out who is talented from a mass of people with identikit worthless qualifications.
  • Limit university places to 25-30% of the population but maintain quality
  • Introduce quality vocational training - apprenticeships / technical colleges etc for skills that we really need and which would support the economy (sciences, engineering, arts - yes we do seem to do rather well in those sorts of areas and need skilled technicians).

The most important thing that we need to do is to get rid of the misguided notion that everyone can achieve anything they want - people have to realise what their strengths and their limitations are. I myself am 6'3, 17 stone and am tone deaf - I would not make a good jockey or pop star - I'll live with it. We must also reintroduce the concepts of excellence and competitiveness. It is not bad to be better at something than someone else. We must realise that we are competing with the far east and India. All of these have ruthlessly competitive education systems that drive up standards and develop a work ethic. We must do the same in order not to fall further behind.

Rant over.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

So you are saying we need more children so that we can have perpetual growth based on them taking on debt to go to University.

This seems a cunning plan.

I already have 4 should I impregnate the wife again?

It's your monetary duty.

Why????

Meh theres either a shortage of these guys or there is a surplus depending on the housing market.

Considering most peoples view on where the market will go over the next 5 years i'd say there wouldn't be as many of these occupations required as there was say 5 years back.

To David Milibum...