House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Save me from the madness!

My Second Hand Car Is Rising In Value

OK I admit this is just one case, but I wonder if this is happening to anybody else who keeps records? Is this an indicator of inflation?

In short, every 6 months I do a valuation check on my car to see what its worth according to What Car magazine's valuation estimator. I bought the car in January 2008 for £4.5K, 1.2L Vauxhall Corsa 5 door and here is What Cars valuation

Date Milage What Car The AA

Jan-08 23115 £4,495.00

Jul-08 24933 £3,810.00 £4,195.00

Jan-09 29000 £3,160.00 £2,900.00

Jul-09 29500 £3,215.00 £3,275.00

Jan-09 31500 £3,330.00 Charging now

Jul-08 33500 £3,470.00 Charging now

Being a cynical chap I just went on Autotrader to check wondering if What Car where on d

Mine isn't!

Guest Noodle

OK I admit this is just one case, but I wonder if this is happening to anybody else who keeps records? Is this an indicator of inflation?

In short, every 6 months I do a valuation check on my car to see what its worth according to What Car magazine's valuation estimator. I bought the car in January 2008 for £4.5K, 1.2L Vauxhall Corsa 5 door and here is What Cars valuation

Jan-08 23115 £4,495.00

Being a cynical chap I just went on Autotrader to check wondering if What Car where on d

I'm looking at the moment and cheap Corsa's are rare as rocking horse dung. All the VED Band A to D small cars with +65mpg don't seem to lose value. Scrapage scheme and fears over rising oil prices and future living costs.

Same problems as houses. This just means that the next one you buy will have risen even more than the one you sold.

I don't play accountancy with my cars, buy and hold for me.

I once (in about 1976) bought a Lotus Elan Sprint, a truly amazing car. Did about 70,000 miles in it, and then sold it for twice what I had paid for it, even though it had a cracked chassis - the buyer came 200 miles with a bunch of fivers and a trailer. My subsequent cars have not been so profitable, but I do tend to buy good ones ex-demo, and then run them into the ground.

I once (in about 1976) bought a Lotus Elan Sprint, a truly amazing car. Did about 70,000 miles in it, and then sold it for twice what I had paid for it, even though it had a cracked chassis - the buyer came 200 miles with a bunch of fivers and a trailer. My subsequent cars have not been so profitable, but I do tend to buy good ones ex-demo, and then run them into the ground.

Lucky git, haveing had an Elan Sprint I mean, makeing a profit on it was just iceing on the cake.

Second hand car prices were very firm until about Easter.Since then they have tailed away sharply and the falls are increasing month on month.Both May and June have seen falls of 5-6% (each month) on many models.Since Dave opened his mouth on the economy retail buyers have all but disappeared.

Guest Noodle

Second hand car prices were very firm until about Easter.Since then they have tailed away sharply and the falls are increasing month on month.Both May and June have seen falls of 5-6% (each month) on many models.Since Dave opened his mouth on the economy retail buyers have all but disappeared.

Thank you for that information. I'll wait until I get back.

Guest happy?

Jan-08 23115 £4,495.00

have you thought of offering it to Eric Pickles via the Really Triffic Reform Bill website?

You could kill several birds with one stone that way.

every 6 months I do a valuation check on my car to see what its worth according to What Car magazine's valuation estimator

:huh:

You might like to consider rebalancing your efforts towards boosting income. Definite diminishing returns in micro managing costs to this extent.

Its your life though...

Guest Noodle

have you thought of offering it to Eric Pickles via the Really Triffic Reform Bill website?

You could kill several birds with one stone that way.

Is that a stage name?

:huh:

You might like to consider rebalancing your efforts towards boosting income. Definite diminishing returns in micro managing costs to this extent.

Its your life though...

Ha, I see your point. Honestly though, I set this up because having never owned a car before I wanted to understand how much it was costing me as it was a luxury for me living 5 mins walk from work. It's really so I know how much the total cost is and so can make an informed choice on if I want to keep funding my car.

Guest Noodle

Ha, I see your point. Honestly though, I set this up because having never owned a car before I wanted to understand how much it was costing me as it was a luxury for me living 5 mins walk from work. It's really so I know how much the total cost is and so can make an informed choice on if I want to keep funding my car.

Get rid of the damn thing and get a bike and panniers for the bike.

PM me if you need help with this.

Also look at getting your groceries delivered.

Owning cars in the UK is a pain in the ****. I've set things up so I only have to hire one for a day or two when needed to relocate to site. I fvckin' hate owning cars.

Get rid of the damn thing and get a bike and panniers for the bike.

PM me if you need help with this.

Also look at getting your groceries delivered.

Owning cars in the UK is a pain in the ****. I've set things up so I only have to hire one for a day or two when needed to relocate to site. I fvckin' hate owning cars.

I thought you were off to Weston, you'll want a car round there to get to the hills and the rest of the coast. And trips up to Cribbs if you really must do shopping. Also as it's not the South East you're not pulling out into traffic every time you come off your drive.

Guest Noodle

I thought you were off to Weston, you'll want a car round there to get to the hills and the rest of the coast. And trips up to Cribbs if you really must do shopping. Also as it's not the South East you're not pulling out into traffic every time you come off your drive.

Nah, it's got everything there. I only had one for site, never went anywhere for pleasure I couldn't have used a bike for. This bike thing really works.

Oh, and you! That flash car you want. Check insurance costs first I'm getting quotes of £1100 for something I insured 3 years ago for £280 (Xantia TD). Corsavan came in at £373. Not too bad.

They get wrecked up there Frank, smack heads mainly, scummers.

Nah, it's got everything there. I only had one for site, never went anywhere for pleasure I couldn't have used a bike for. This bike thing really works.

Oh, and you! That flash car you want. Check insurance costs first I'm getting quotes of £1100 for something I insured 3 years ago for £280 (Xantia TD). Corsavan came in at £373. Not too bad.

They get wrecked up there Frank, smack heads mainly, scummers.

Insurance was a pleasant surprise actually, it doubled for a Civic Type R but that was only another £187 a year. What wasn't a pleasant surprise was a crisis at work which wrecked my plans of looking round and test-driving Monday and Tuesday and putting down the deposit Wednesday, so I'm still driving round in old faithful which is totally reliable but does have a taste for oil. I'll need to set up another week off to do what I was intending to do this week and hope I can actually take it this time.

I was forgetting about the bike, that's probably better. Scoot off along moorland tracks which you can't do in a car.

I agree about Weston, the town council make the effort and the front is very nice so it's good for a day-out, but the outskirts suffer from vast amounts of house-building with no facilities and no sense of community and drugs are rife. It's the third placed town in England for the number of registered heroin addicts IIRC.

Guest Noodle

Insurance was a pleasant surprise actually, it doubled for a Civic Type R but that was only another £187 a year. What wasn't a pleasant surprise was a crisis at work which wrecked my plans of looking round and test-driving Monday and Tuesday and putting down the deposit Wednesday, so I'm still driving round in old faithful which is totally reliable but does have a taste for oil. I'll need to set up another week off to do what I was intending to do this week and hope I can actually take it this time.

I was forgetting about the bike, that's probably better. Scoot off along moorland tracks which you can't do in a car.

I agree about Weston, the town council make the effort and the front is very nice so it's good for a day-out, but the outskirts suffer from vast amounts of house-building with no facilities and no sense of community and drugs are rife. It's the third placed town in England for the number of registered heroin addicts IIRC.

Smackers and tweekers are an industry down there. I had 3 cars vandalised, 2 motorcycles stolen . . .

It's a dump. But everywheres the same these days.

So what did you get in the end?

Smackers and tweekers are an industry down there. I had 3 cars vandalised, 2 motorcycles stolen . . .

It's a dump. But everywheres the same these days.

So what did you get in the end?

I refer you to my first paragraph!

Twoccers surely?

Guest Noodle

I refer you to my first paragraph!

Twoccers surely?

One of those.

I just know where this is going, Frank.

streetLight.jpg