House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

daniel stallion

Food Glorious Food! Jamie Oliver Annoyed!

Who is right?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/10459744.stm

The Jamie Oliver-approach will not work in tackling public health problems like obesity and smoking, the health secretary says.

Andrew Lansley told the British Medical Association conference in Brighton there must be an evidence-based approach to dealing with public health. Mr Lansley said people needed to take responsibility for their own health.

The TV chef said the remarks were not just inaccurate but an insult to the hard work of dinner ladies and parents. "I'm not encouraged by the news that the new health minister has summed up 8 years of hard work in a few lines for the sake of a headline," said Mr Oliver.

But Mr Lansley said it was time to move away from hectoring people to lead healthier lives.

Who is right?

http://news.bbc.co.u...th/10459744.stm

The Jamie Oliver-approach will not work in tackling public health problems like obesity and smoking, the health secretary says.

Andrew Lansley told the British Medical Association conference in Brighton there must be an evidence-based approach to dealing with public health. Mr Lansley said people needed to take responsibility for their own health.

The TV chef said the remarks were not just inaccurate but an insult to the hard work of dinner ladies and parents. "I'm not encouraged by the news that the new health minister has summed up 8 years of hard work in a few lines for the sake of a headline," said Mr Oliver.

But Mr Lansley said it was time to move away from hectoring people to lead healthier lives.

Unless we stick to evidence based research and action based on that, Jamie's food is just like so much alternative medicine mumbo jumbo.

Guest theboltonfury

He's got a fat tongue but a good heart.

I don't mind him at all.

Guest X-QUORK

I think Jamie Oliver's great, as TBF says, his heart is most definitely in the right place...BUT, I hate to admit it but I think Lansley raises a fair point in that people hate being lectured. I don't think Oliver lectures as much as prods, pokes and invites debate and thought on important food issues. A lot of people don't see it like that though and take great offence at being told how to live.

I've come to the conclusion that those who buy into organic food or more general healthy food principles already have, and everyone else thinks very little about it and get on with eating how they please. There's probably a reasonably fixed percentage of healthy lifestyle folk, say 25% of us, then a few shades in between and about 50% of us who don't give a toss what we eat as long as it tastes good.

I think Jamie Oliver's great, as TBF says, his heart is most definitely in the right place...BUT, I hate to admit it but I think Lansley raises a fair point in that people hate being lectured. I don't think Oliver lectures as much as prods, pokes and invites debate and thought on important food issues. A lot of people don't see it like that though and take great offence at being told how to live.

I've come to the conclusion that those who buy into organic food or more general healthy food principles already have, and everyone else thinks very little about it and get on with eating how they please. There's probably a reasonably fixed percentage of healthy lifestyle folk, say 25% of us, then a few shades in between and about 50% of us who don't give a toss what we eat as long as it tastes good.

Here we go. What's so healthy about organic?

Unless we stick to evidence based research and action based on that, Jamie's food is just like so much alternative medicine mumbo jumbo.

Heresy!

Burn the Witch!

Haven't you heard?

We are all post-modernists now comrade, calories only ever go up, waist lines only ever go down.

You are sentenced to three months hard homoeopathy:angry:

Guest theboltonfury

LIke Hugh Fearnley-Whittingshit. I think people resent being patronised as to how to spend a bit more for their own good, by multi-millionaires.

If you choose organic food then you care about what you eat so are probably healthier even if it;s not a real health benefit.

Interesting point. There are lots of correlations in "healthy" behaviour which cause neutral foods to appear healthy or unhealthy when they are not. Fore example red meat is fine, but because it features heavily in the diets of those who are otherwise unhealthy it gets an unnecessarily bad rap.

Likewise organic is expensive but ultimately pointless.

You can't use RCT's on human beings there are so many holes. and politicains are the greater of them. If you do try to use this model in this case it proves the Health minister is as foolish as his supporters being that School dinners are crap. Jammie comes in tryies to improve them. Mums becomes aware thay are crap dinners and make kids more nutrious lunch paks and not bother with the schools. So it's a good thing to give them fat laden turkey ofal. It might not be healthy to beleive you're own propaganda

Mr Lansley said people needed to take responsibility for their own health.

More weasle words. Just like in the USA, blitz them with adverts for fat laden crap then berate

them for being overweight.

Mr Lansley said people needed to take responsibility for their own health.

More weasle words. Just like in the USA, blitz them with adverts for fat laden crap then berate

them for being overweight.

People also need to take responsibility for not buying everything that's advertised to them.

People also need to take responsibility for not buying everything that's advertised to them.

Yup.

Do you think that there is a special case for things like school dinners though? Is it unreasonable to expect children to bare the burden of making sensible decisions and unwise to 'allow' some of the parents to do it for them?

As the Fury says Jamie Oliver does mean well so good on him. It doesn't follow that he's right though.

And the it doesn't mean that the outraged parents sneaking McDonalds through the school fence at lunch time are right either.

fat people should pay more to fly , uses more fuel

it should be about punishing fat people , not punishing everyone including the skinny ones by putting fat taxes on 'unhealthy' foods

here in australia underweight girls are catching up to overweight girls , obesity in school age girls peaked back in 2003 and is now down to 16% , underweight girls in the same age group increased to 10%.

And the it doesn't mean that the outraged parents sneaking McDonalds through the school fence at lunch time are right either.

They're spot on.

Not really an argument I engage in. A big Mac and a Mars Bar would be some people's idea of food heaven but is my idea of food hell, ultimately you like what you like and somebody appearing on the telly talking about five a day doesn't change that.

They're spot on.

Not really an argument I engage in. A big Mac and a Mars Bar would be some people's idea of food heaven but is my idea of food hell, ultimately you like what you like and somebody appearing on the telly talking about five a day doesn't change that.

Is there an argument, though, to try and control the options children have at school? Or do you think that it is ultimately down to the parents or the school?

Is there an argument, though, to try and control the options children have at school? Or do you think that it is ultimately down to the parents or the school?

It would be nice but the cost of mass catering means margins are very tight and you have to be certian that what you sell will be bought. Kids buy chips.

Does anyone know what happens in private schools with regard to food?

Not really, but I do have an anecdote.

I had a work colleague whose children went to a private school. They paid for their meals with some kind of swipe card, and the parents were able to have a look at a webpage and keep track of exactly what the children had been eating. I really couldn't make up my mind whether that was a good thing or not.

Not really, but I do have an anecdote.

I had a work colleague whose children went to a private school. They paid for their meals with some kind of swipe card, and the parents were able to have a look at a webpage and keep track of exactly what the children had been eating. I really couldn't make up my mind whether that was a good thing or not.

I think that's fine so long as the children can see if their parents had looked.