House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CrashedOutAndBurned

What Do You Want That You Don’T Have?

I thought I check where everyone is with having what they want in life - materially, emotionally, spiritually, the whole kaboodle.

It occurred to be the other day that I have pretty much everything that I want - in fact I have a load of stuff I’ve acquired that I don’t really use and wouldn’t be too bothered if I didn’t have.

I don’t really need any more consumer tat - TV, hifi, kitchen appliances, phones, etc. It all does the job, even though some of it is old - the odd computer now and again all that’s neeed.

I don’t really need any more stuff for hobbies - have camera and lenses to cover everything I like to shoot, have nice guitars and amp that I could use forever.

Will have to change the car in a few years I guess, but not really bothered about driving anything other than a used low-end tin-can car that goes from A to B.

The things I really want are a moderately spacious 3-bed house in a convenient non-stabsville location, ditching the day job or finding something easier and breezier that doesn’t grind me down so much yet pays the bills, and providing more time and energy for family, friends, hobbies, etc.

I'm not a million miles from 'enough'. Where's everyone else?

99.999% peace of mind.

A plot elevated enough to withstand a freak tsunami

A plot big enough to grow enough food for me plus up to 10 others and big enough to provide me with 500 gallons of biodiesel a year

A small armery.

An underground fall out shelter with 3 years of supplies and a weeks oxygen.

I guess most of that could be achieved without planning permission. For for the govt trying to screw the responsible survivalist like myself out of existence.

Guest Noodle

A couple of sturdy Harris Tweed sports jackets. The money and hassle I could have saved over the years by avoiding suits and just have a couple of sturdy jackets instead. Advisable!

AYR_B_1.jpgtaransay-web_3.jpg

I thought I check where everyone is with having what they want in life - materially, emotionally, spiritually, the whole kaboodle.

It occurred to be the other day that I have pretty much everything that I want - in fact I have a load of stuff I've acquired that I don't really use and wouldn't be too bothered if I didn't have.

I don't really need any more consumer tat - TV, hifi, kitchen appliances, phones, etc. It all does the job, even though some of it is old - the odd computer now and again all that's neeed.

I don't really need any more stuff for hobbies - have camera and lenses to cover everything I like to shoot, have nice guitars and amp that I could use forever.

Will have to change the car in a few years I guess, but not really bothered about driving anything other than a used low-end tin-can car that goes from A to B.

The things I really want are a moderately spacious 3-bed house in a convenient non-stabsville location, ditching the day job or finding something easier and breezier that doesn't grind me down so much yet pays the bills, and providing more time and energy for family, friends, hobbies, etc.

I'm not a million miles from 'enough'. Where's everyone else?

Pretty satisfied with my lot, though I could do with either a bigger house or a big clear out of some of the crap I've accumulated.

Guest Noodle

Pretty satisfied with my lot, though I could do with either a bigger house or a big clear out of some of the crap I've accumulated.

Cathartic and cheaper.

Guest theboltonfury

earphones that stay in when I'm working out.

A phone that doesn't 'pocket dial' every day. IPhones are awful for this.

A bit more interaction with adults during the day.

Guest theboltonfury

A couple of sturdy Harris Tweed sports jackets. The money and hassle I could have saved over the years by avoiding suits and just have a couple of sturdy jackets instead. Advisable!

AYR_B_1.jpgtaransay-web_3.jpg

Now you're talking.

I'd love a classic Barbour too.

Guest Noodle

Now you're talking.

I'd love a classic Barbour too.

Austin Reed seems to have the best range. I'm currently downloading images to print orff and take to my tailor.

Reed's want £150-£250. I shall achieve exactly the same thing for £50, made to measure.

Guest theboltonfury

Austin Reed seems to have the best range. I'm currently downloading images to print orff and take to my tailor.

Reed's want £150-£250. I shall achieve exactly the same thing for £50, made to measure.

There's a guy I know in South Carolina who does the same things with golf clubs. He has all the heads from all the companies, before they get branded. Tell him what you want, he'll make them for around 40% of the cost.

They are the same, but better as they are carefully crafted.

Guest Noodle

There's a guy I know in South Carolina who does the same things with golf clubs. He has all the heads from all the companies, before they get branded. Tell him what you want, he'll make them for around 40% of the cost.

They are the same, but better as they are carefully crafted.

Yup. I'm looking forward to getting these made. They make sense.

Jackets

Guest Noodle

Mr P - the image I have of you somehow does not include the tweed jacket.

Although I am sure you will look very fetching in it.

I'm actually very old fashioned. I like a country style jacket, checked shirt with cords or flat front trousers, brown lace up shoes.

Hard wearing and traditional over the latest fashion always works.

For casual, docker trousers in stone with white polo shirt and a dark blue Reefer coat.

Guest Noodle

Anyone notice the sharpness of the waist cut of Noodle's left hand sports jacket.

That's real tailoring.

Best to be in shape before you put that kind of cloth on your back.

No, no . . . there's ways round that. Although I do fit in 38" trousers now.

Guest Noodle

Well quite.

That is what a good tailor is for.

But it's a good, clean, sharp cut.

And best to be in shape none the less.

Some of weren't fitted with the sports ECU.

I know a very fine Indian tailor, sandwiched in between two of the worst agogo's in Pattaya. He'll sort it out!

Guest happy?

It occurred to be the other day that I have pretty much everything that I want - in fact I have a load of stuff I've acquired that I don't really use and wouldn't be too bothered if I didn't have....

I often think this when people talk about winning the lottery - although people often cite material wealth the list of things they 'want' is usually pretty short.

Mostly, it seems people want financial security and independence.

Guest theboltonfury

I often think this when people talk about winning the lottery - although people often cite material wealth the list of things they 'want' is usually pretty short.

I'd ******ing love a veg patch.

Guest Noodle

It's escape from the grinding monotony of petty, insular, ignorant pond life. The snotty little bastards, the paranoid androids that never realize their own mortality so treat their and your lives with contempt. The little Hitler's, the pathetic power games rather than just doing a job, having as much fun as possible then going home.

I could go on . . .

Well Mr P I am now re-imagining you.

In my head I had a bit of a slobbish bloke dress-wise - army shorts with an old Hawaiian shirt type. But to hear you are rather smarter is very exciting. Funny how you get a picture of certain posters in your head which are probably totally and utterly wrong.

I did quite like the comfortable, old Mr P vision though.

Thigh-high snakeskin boots. ;)

Guest Noodle

Thigh-high snakeskin boots. ;)

This doesn't surprise.

Let me know your measurements and I'll have a look round. Lot of snake skin here. Python or Cobra?