House Price Crash Forum

Mrs has been twisting my arm to get a place of our own closer to the school she has just been apointed to (she has a permanent teaching contract with the council but was made surplus to requirements in her old school due to falling pupil roll after a bad inspection). Started viewing some nearby rentals and liked a few new build properties on offer at development just within our target area. A number of these are up for rental and the property bee suggests they have been empty for a while so the HPCer in me suggested a deal to be done.

Arranged a viewing at one of these flats. The following conversation took place with EA on arrival...

Me: Hello. This is probably going to be a waste of time mate.

EA: WHY??!!??

Me: Just realised there is no street lighting on that access road from the main road...

EA: ...But you will get the light from the flats and those houses over there (pointing) as you drive up....

Me: .....Not at 2o'clock in the morning you wont. Have you been up here on a winter night?

EA: Did you not know that before you enquired?

Me: I have not been up this way since these were built.

EA: well?

Me: There is not much point wasting any of our time really.

EA: My time has been wasted already. You may as well look. You need to realise that agents have to view you as a serious tenant to do business with you- not a time waster............ (continued tutting, ranting, arm gestures). You have to realise that on your budget you have to compromise........(getting angry now)

Me: How do you know my budget? I could have my pick of any of these rentals but my GF would not drive up here at night and I wouldnt let her.

EA: (walks away to 57 plate mini)

My Gf says I should have just been polite and went inside to view and then said we needed time to think before politely declining. Was I out of order?

ps Millhall Court is the development

My link

Edited by the-wife's-knickers

Me: Just realised there is no street lighting on that access road from the main road...

you did nothing wrong imho

the EA is possibly finally realising the poor quality of the h*llholes they have been shifting for the past 5 years. maybe the red pill is slipping past his gullet as we speak.

Edited by Si1

Not out of order. I have gone to view houses and suddenly realised that there was something not suitable.

One thing on my list is side access to the rear of the house - not taking refuse and waste through the house basically. I arranged to view a house which looked lovely but when I got there I could see that an extension had been built around the side of the house where the front to rear access had been.

No point in carrying on but the 'developer' who had turned up was not happy. Should have got the EA to take a better picture or perhaps he knew that most people would have expected that side entrance to be there like all the other houses in the road... so perhaps the photo deliberately did not show it had gone.

It's a buyers market - you can afford to turn down properties for any reason you like, waste as much EA time as you like.

They will always come back like a puppy dog. It is their DUTY to the seller to show you round somewhere if you register an interest.

I'd boko another 20 viewings, then start to turn them down for reasons such as

...You "don't like the curtains"

...because "Theres a funny smell around here" (freferably whilst standing close to him, or after having just let one out

...There's a bad spirit in the area

...The bricks "look wrong"

...The house is at the wrong angle

I would have been very, very polite, apoletic even [costs you nothing and just might yield a benefit of some kind in the future], but firm in a gentle way: (1) this property is no good to me; (2) i could not possibly have known that this would have been the case without coming here.

Why would you not drive down a dark road at night?

(Attitude to the EA is fine!)

I would if i had to and if it was just me then it would not even have crossed my mind. However, I am often away at night working. I just do not like the thought of her driving down that road on a winter night. (Plains is very high up and when it snows it snows) I realised as soon as I got out of the car that I would not pay £350 a month to live there.

The development is like a wart on the ar*e of the village.

Also there is PLENTY of property to chose from up here- more added by the day. I can afford to be a fussy c**t.

The customer is always right. You can stop a viewing at any time. If you want street lighting and it doesn't have any, then its fine to walk away.

However, if the commotion has upset you, you could avoid future upset by looking round the flat, then just not renting it.

You should have told the slimy little sh 1t to f k off.

Yep, I think that about sums up my gut response, too... although perhaps, if it had been me, my initial 'This is probably going to be a waste of time, mate' might've been a little more apologetic.

Just keep your thoughts to yourself and enjoying wasting the EA's time. EA's should be used to 'time wasters' anyway - that guy should be retrained.

Edited by gruffydd

6 of 1 half dozen of the other. If it was something inside the flat then I'm with the OP. Since it was something outside the flat I can see why the EA was annoyed. Golden rule is always do a reccie (or two) beforehand.

Furthermore, you could ring up the EA head office and complain about his attitude.

It's his job to do what he's doing.

The whole point of going to see a place is to see whether it's suitable. does he expect everybody who goes and views a place to take it?

Why on earth should You have to expend two trips - one to view the outside, and one to view the inside?

A twonk of the highest order.

I always check out the place from the outside before arranging a viewing, you can't go by the photos alone as they usually use those stupid lenses to make everything look a different size. To be honest he has a cheek to accuse a potential customer of wasting his time, the descriptions and photos they use on their listings are always a fraud in one way or another (exaggerating this or not pointing out that, calling a place a 2 bed when it is a 1 bed with a box room/large cupboard etc etc), most viewings are a waste of time of their own making for this reason.

He's an estate agent, his whole life is a waste of time.

As a salesperson you're always disappointed when your time is wasted. If you are on commision and under heavy pressure to gain sales it makes the situation even more galling.

However, rather than get all arsey with you, the correct approach would have been "OK, maybe there is something else we can do for you". An expert salesperson would have tried to turn any possible guilt you have had about wasting their time into some sort of future sale.

Let me guess, you won't go back to them now ... but if they had said "Well obviously we're disappointed to have had our time wasted, but maybe there is something else you might be interested, in , how about x,y or z" it may have been a different story.

Mrs has been twisting my arm to get a place of our own closer to the school she has just been apointed to (she has a permanent teaching contract with the council but was made surplus to requirements in her old school due to falling pupil roll after a bad inspection). Started viewing some nearby rentals and liked a few new build properties on offer at development just within our target area. A number of these are up for rental and the property bee suggests they have been empty for a while so the HPCer in me suggested a deal to be done.

Arranged a viewing at one of these flats. The following conversation took place with EA on arrival...

EA: ...But you will get the light from the flats and those houses over there (pointing) as you drive up....

Me: .....Not at 2o'clock in the morning you wont. Have you been up here on a winter night?

EA: My time has been wasted already. You may as well look. You need to realise that agents have to view you as a serious tenant to do business with you- not a time waster............ (continued tutting, ranting, arm gestures). You have to realise that on your budget you have to compromise........(getting angry now)

Me: How do you know my budget? I could have my pick of any of these rentals but my GF would not drive up here at night and I wouldnt let her.

My Gf says I should have just been polite and went inside to view and then said we needed time to think before politely declining. Was I out of order?

My link

Normal sales banter and I have spent 20 years selling B2B. You were absolutely correct. They aren't sales people they are order takes who are now exposed for what they are.

Normal sales banter and I have spent 20 years selling B2B. You were absolutely correct. They aren't sales people they are order takes who are now exposed for what they are.

+1

If the OP did anything wrong it was to assume that an EA would appreciate a bit of honest feedback. Remember, honesty is of no value to an EA.

My link

Don't agents drive you nuts. On that link one of them is pleased to be offering a flat to the OPEN market! Wow! Thank the Lord the market is OPEN. We wouldn't want the baarstard market to be fecking CLOSED now would we? Where the feck would we all be if the dingy sh!tehole was being offered to the CLOSED market? We'd all be well fecked, that's where we'd be!

And another one is offering a flat available to rent to the .... wait for it ... RENTAL market! Fair play to THEM. They're nobody's ****! They know that a flat availble to rent has to be offered to the RENTAL market and not the BUYING market. There'd be no point offering that flat to someone looking to BUY a property would there? That would be plain stupid. No, fair play to them. Those agents know their business allright.

Let me guess, you won't go back to them now ... but if they had said "Well obviously we're disappointed to have had our time wasted, but maybe there is something else you might be interested, in , how about x,y or z" it may have been a different story.

Even better "sorry for wasting YOUR time, how about XYZ"

you did nothing wrong imho

the EA is possibly finally realising the poor quality of the h*llholes they have been shifting for the past 5 years. maybe the red pill is slipping past his gullet as we speak.

He probably needs a blue pill to cheer him up after meeting the 'wifes knickers' who thought it would help him to be pointlessly awkward to the EA. He asked to see it! So he doesn't like it? So what?! Don't be surprised if someone much more polite gets to see the best properties which come on first.

Manners are free, whether or not you are aggrieved over the existence of EA's.

You sounded like a ****.

Just have a look round the flat for 2 mins. Would only help you to get an idea of what is available if nothing else.

I dont understand this absurd attitude to estate agents. They talk crap most of the time but there seems to be a confrontational attitude towards them which will get you nowhere and is bad for your blood pressure.

However, if the commotion has upset you, you could avoid future upset by looking round the flat, then just not renting it.

I think my girlfriend is more concerned that we will now be on some secret EA timewaster list.

To be honest I have sympathy with the Estate Agent. I would be exactly the same. I would be thinking "has he not bothered to come up here and have a look at the outside himself before asking to see the interior?", "does he not have Street View?", "Does he not have lights on his car?"

But then, I would be cr*p at any customer facing job. :)

6 of 1 half dozen of the other. If it was something inside the flat then I'm with the OP. Since it was something outside the flat I can see why the EA was annoyed. Golden rule is always do a reccie (or two) beforehand.

I take these two points fully and have previously either been very familiar with an area or taken a quick trip. However, I was on my way to the viewing 20minutes after phoning the EA.

those bars on the rightmove photo's,are they to keep the punters in or the prols out?

I think that is a very good spot Pedro. The estate nearby does have a reputation but the development is in the nicer part.

Don't be surprised if someone much more polite gets to see the best properties which come on first.

Are you really naive enough to think thats how it works, the person who gets to see the best properties is the person who happens to spot the best properties on rightmove and phones the agent first, they have a standard list and they email everyone on their books about them.

Its sales and its money, not saying you need to be horrible to them but if they think they can get commission out of you they will, whether you are a **** about it or not is ultimately irrelevant.

I think my girlfriend is more concerned that we will now be on some secret EA timewaster list.

Dont worry, they dont exist. EA's work on commision, and you dont bite the hand that feeds you regardless of what you think of it