House Price Crash Forum
PricedOutNative

Wage Rise For Youngsters

New Grads Survey (BBC)

The survey shows a significant improvement for university leavers - with vacancies up by 18% and average starting salaries increased to £29,000.

Seems sensible as new grad pay has risen in most areas to compensate for the lack of a good pension and the very high cost of housing.

A graduate in the mid 1990's could expect around 15,000 in the SE but a flat would cost 50>60K.

New Grads Survey (BBC)

Seems sensible as new grad pay has risen in most areas to compensate for the lack of a good pension and the very high cost of housing.

A graduate in the mid 1990's could expect around 15,000 in the SE but a flat would cost 50>60K.

Does anyone actually believe that countrywide graduates are starting on £29K?

Anyone got a grad/son or daughter who started work in the last year? Salary, please...

Edited by juvenal

Anyone got a grad/son or daughter who started work in the last year? Salary, please...

Says "Top 100 employers", which I assume means graduate employers and therefore is probably mainly in the City, law firms, accountants, consultants, etc picking the very best grads.

I'd take those figures with a pinch of salt; when I graduated in the 90s I remember looking at similar studies, wondering why I was on only half the "average university leaver wage" :(

My younger friends in the bike wing:

Richard - Biology degree - worked in Mozambique for some charity (unpaid but living expenses and flight paid) returned to a MW job, burgered off to Thailand to teach. Makes £10K a year.

Chris - Engineering grad doing an MEng - Works in a cafe

Suki - my cousin, architechture grad Manchester University + Masters, works in Asda

Jonny - Works as a recruitment consultant after a history degree.

But would that not include Tescos, the NHS, the state in general, retail, Network rail etc...

I'd assume investment banks employ a very small proportion of new grads and would not be in the top 100 employers... or is this survey all smoke and mirrors?

Says "Top 100 employers", which I assume means graduate employers and therefore is probably mainly in the City, law firms, accountants, consultants, etc picking the very best grads.

But would that not include Tescos, the NHS, the state in general, retail, Network rail etc...

I'd assume investment banks employ a very small proportion of new grads and would not be in the top 100 employers... or is this survey all smoke and mirrors?

Smoke and mirrors, let me put it this way, a very long time ago I remember the KPMG graduate scheme... there were about 20 positions. E&Y had about 15. etc

They just take all the people employed by the big firms and average it, you take it for all graduates and it is probably about 5K (I know shed loads of people who graduated in 2007 and still don't work)

It's probably the top 100 employers as outlined in the Times top 100 employers of graduate employers.

£29,000 starting salary is not common I wouldn't think. I graduated last year and am nowhere near that. The PwC graduate scheme offers £24,000 to start with I believe, and that has been rated the top graduate employer for 6 years running or something.

This must be a London-centric survey.

It's probably the top 100 employers as outlined in the Times top 100 employers of graduate employers.

£29,000 starting salary is not common I wouldn't think. I graduated last year and am nowhere near that. The PwC graduate scheme offers £24,000 to start with I believe, and that has been rated the top graduate employer for 6 years running or something.

This must be a London-centric survey.

Wow!

The big accountants are (or were) known for paying low salaries to new grads. The real money only starts when you get chartered.

When my contemporaries and I were looking, the going rate in central London was about £5100. By contrast, I got £6660 in IT, while a new teacher in a state school would've got about £6.5k + London allowance making around £8k total.

I graduated (Zoology) in 2004. Started working part time in the (charity) environment sector at about 15k pro rata (30 hours/week) while I did a postgrad diploma. Also worked a few shifts at the local pub to earn a few more pennies.

After many interviews I failed to secure a full-time job in the environment sector and in desperation I ended up with an 18k job working as PA to a local multimillionaire property developer (!).

I moved to London in 2008, was unemployed for 7 months before landing another job as a PA in the health sector. Am currently on 26k and looking to start a Masters this autumn to effectively retrain and hopefully boost my career prospects.

I have no problems admitting that doing a Zoology degree was a mistake - hindsight and experience is a wonderful thing...

My sister graduated from her Art degree (!) in 2008. After multiple unpaid internships at some well-known galleries, she failed to get a permanent job and was then unemployed (but temping) for about 9 months until being offered a temp-to-perm position earlier this year for a life insurance company. I believe she earns in the region of 20k.

Incidentally, her boyfriend has just moved from one job in media sales, to another with a very well known financial publication, and is on a significantly larger salary...

Its a load of bs from the "look how well university leavers are doing" government propaganda arm. From the actual report the number of actual vacancies the salary average is averaged over is 15,500. The median is also 27k not the 29k they quote.

(http://www.ljmu.ac.uk/WoW/WOW_Docs/GM10Report.pdf)

There are expected to be about 350,000 graduate leavers this year.

thus the bbc news report should be titled something like 'average salaries for the top 4-5% of university leavers expected to be 27k"

BS!!!!! Maybe if you go into finance in London.....

I left uni approx 3 years ago and am just under £30k now - but even that was due to a special circumstance. Recent grads in engineering might get £23-24k. £29k??? I don't think so, certainly not average salary!!! Especially considering all the mickey mouse courses out there!