House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Daft Boy

How Long Can The Housing Market Avoid A Crash?

Interesting article in the Independant today. Sad tale about oap's unable to cash in £600k equity at the end of the article laugh.giflaugh.gif

http://www.independe...sh-2014108.html

The OAP's "predicament" had me spitting nails, and I am a boomer. How can people be so greedy - trying to sell their house for THREE years and she's 84? So they put their house up in 2007 for a value it couldn't sell at then, and still expect to get nearly the same price?

I like the comments...

How Long Can The Housing Market Avoid A Crash?

until the will and the money to prop it up run out.

( which probably occured at the election )

Har -Har.. nice.

The people quoted actually expect some sort of sympathy !?! :P

If they got lucky and sold the house, then six months later it was worth £20K less do you think they would feel sorry for the buyer? I didn't think so. Stuff em, put the house for sale at a realistic price and it might just sell, otherwise stop the bleeting. Personally the best bet is hold out for another year and that expensive cottage may be up for auction with no owners, they seem to be getting on a bit ;)

That was a joke before anyone takes offence. It wasn't financial advice.

Kathleen Sadler, 84. Mrs Sadler, and her husband David, 75, have been trying to sell their home for three years.

"We never imagined that it would take so long to sell it," she said. "It is a beautiful cottage with four double bedrooms and a great garden, and it is in a beautiful area with brilliant schools. But not a single person made us an offer.

"We have been forced to bring down our price. Originally, we were trying to sell for £700,000 but have revised that down to £630,000. We also had windows refitted and the property re-wired. You would think such a great house would have sold by now but it hasn't. It is stressful, particularly at our age."

You're doing it all wrong. You're supposed to put it back on next year at a higher price. Doh :unsure:

Anyway they probably bought it 30 years ago for £50K.

In separate warnings yesterday, it emerged that British consumers face a four-year wait for an improvement in their living standards, while a "double dip" recession in the housing market is now "more likely than not", according to City economists.

What improvement? The pain hasn't started yet for the majority of British consumers.

What improvement? The pain hasn't started yet for the majority of British consumers.

I was in Boston (US) yesterday and talking to a rare breed of Yank-somebody who could talk about football without even calling it soccer. He thinks that our collective delusion about house prices is typical British mentality and reflected in our belief in our football team. He's probably right-the Yanks have long ago accepted that houses are not for investment anymore, the delusion is over, plus it's a lot easier to hand the keys in here.

I agree. The real pain is about to begin. Bring it on baby.

According to a letter from Foxtons, the market is rising again, you might be surprised how much your house is worth...

You can say that again. next door have just dropped the asking price by £37K sad.gif That means £37k off mine

Kathleen Sadler, 84. Mrs Sadler, and her husband David, 75, have been trying to sell their home for three years.

"We never imagined that it would take so long to sell it," she said. "It is a beautiful cottage with four double bedrooms and a great garden, and it is in a beautiful area with brilliant schools. But not a single person made us an offer.

"We have been forced to bring down our price. Originally, we were trying to sell for £700,000 but have revised that down to £630,000. We also had windows refitted and the property re-wired. You would think such a great house would have sold by now but it hasn't. It is stressful, particularly at our age."

You're doing it all wrong. You're supposed to put it back on next year at a higher price. Doh :unsure:

Anyway they probably bought it 30 years ago for £50K.

Nope!! :D £27k....

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=146148&st=15&p=2597700entry2597700

11th post down.....

You're probably right Eric.

It is stressful, particularly at our age.

stressederic2.jpg

You, create the universe around you. If they can afford to develop the property, then they have enough to eat, a warm nice house with 4 bedrooms (more than enough space to store their Royal Doulton Collection!) , in a nice neighbourhood. I pressume their health is OK, they have done well at their age. They don't have to get up early and commute to work and be stressed out etc. They are not living in North Korea!

Some people need to wake up and be happy with what they already have. Otherwise they are going to be so humbled.

Edited by Money Spinner

You can say that again. next door have just dropped the asking price by £37K sad.gif That means £37k off mine

When the £400 billion in bank support is pulled by the end of the year things will improve no doubt. :unsure::unsure:

I agree. The real pain is about to begin. Bring it on baby.

Spendaholic friends down the road are already struggling with the prospect and the VAT hasn't gone up yet.

He hates his job has high blood pressure and has a mortgage of £900 a month.

Bank of England are starting to get objectors to interest rate holds.

Cash is king.

Interesting article in the Independant today. Sad tale about oap's unable to cash in £600k equity at the end of the article laugh.giflaugh.gif

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/how-long-can-the-housing-market-avoid-a-crash-2014108.html

Remember how houses have been free cash machines for the last 7 years.

That 7 years seems to some people like a lifetime.

Nothing is free for long.