House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dubai

World Cup 2010: Blatter Apologises For Disallowed Goal

Fifa president Sepp Blatter has apologised to the Football Association over Frank Lampard's disallowed goal in England's World Cup defeat by Germany.

Blatter said the error had convinced him to reopen the debate on goal-line technology at a board meeting in July.

Lampard was denied a goal in Sunday's 4-1 second-round loss, even though his shot clearly crossed the line.

Blatter also said sorry to Mexico after Carlos Tevez's offside goal was allowed to stand in Argentina's 3-1 victory.

Uruguayan referee Jorge Larrionda, who missed Lampard's goal, and Italian referee Roberto Rosetti, who allowed Tevez's offside Argentina goal to stand, have not been retained for the remainder of the tournament.

Lampard's strike came during a spell of England dominance and would have levelled the score at 2-2.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8771294.stm

did anyone read his comments about the south africa cup having no issues and south africa being considered a 'back up' for all world cup tournaments in the future?

the man is insane

Guest absolutezero

Given they lost by more than one goal it really make no odds whether it was allowed, disallowed or what.

Get over it.

Given they lost by more than one goal it really make no odds whether it was allowed, disallowed or what.

Get over it.

That's bo11ocks.

Although I agree we should get over it. We were shit and Germany deserved to win.

Get over it.

Wrong I am afraid, Germany were always going to close the game down once in the lead with 20-30 mins to go and am equal score at half time would have made a huge difference to the approach for the second half

Yes, England played badly throughout the tournament and yes, they deserved to lose but this was a vital decision and mistakes like this should not be made at this level of competition

Last night a Portugese player was sent off for doing nothing wrong, whether you like football or not, we are stuck with it so it would be great if they could use other methods to get correct decisions

Lampard's strike came during a spell of England dominance and would have levelled the score at 2-2.

I thought I'd just point out that that was the only 'spell of England dominance' in 4 matches, and it lasted about 2 minutes.

"He said that apology through gritted teeth...He's never liked the English... "

Blatter and Platini would have been partying late into the night of England's defeat.

If the score had been 2 - 2 at half time England would not have been chucking everything forward and would have been less likely to get caught on the break by the Hun.

"He said that apology through gritted teeth...He's never liked the English... "

Blatter and Platini would have been partying late into the night of England's defeat.

If the score had been 2 - 2 at half time England would not have been chucking everything forward and would have been less likely to get caught on the break by the Hun.

Exactly.

To be fair I think we would probably still have lost. Badly. But who knows.

The reason this particular incident is exceptionally annoying is that it was clearly a goal. The ref was what, 20-23 yards away, with an unimpeded view of the goal. When I saw it on TV in real time, in a noisy pub, I had absolutely no doubt at all the it had crossed the line. It wasn't like '66, it didn't need goal line technology, it was absolutely blatant.

Anyway - I'm letting it go like I suggested .... honestly ... ;)

My point exactly, yes were poor but we had more possession and the Germans weren't at us constantly

I think it would've made a difference, in both games. Psychology plays a huge part in any game, and incidents such as this can have a very detrimental effect on the players.

With the Mexico vs Argentina incident, what made it worse was the glimmer of hope given to the Mexico players by the linesmanb who appeared to admit he had made a mistke after the goal was replayed on teh big screens around the stadium. From that point on it must've been extremely difficult to get into the correct mindset.

I think it would've made a difference, in both games. Psychology plays a huge part in any game, and incidents such as this can have a very detrimental effect on the players.

With the Mexico vs Argentina incident, what made it worse was the glimmer of hope given to the Mexico players by the linesmanb who appeared to admit he had made a mistke after the goal was replayed on teh big screens around the stadium. From that point on it must've been extremely difficult to get into the correct mindset.

I think anyone who has played sport at a high level would agree with that, it not the end of the world but I hope the powers that be look into a way of getting better decisions taken

Last night a Portugese player was sent off for doing nothing wrong, whether you like football or not, we are stuck with it so it would be great if they could use other methods to get correct decisions

Funny decision that one. The 2 commentators, and even the 3 pundits after could not agree whether it was a sending off or not. Seedorf certainly thought it was. A few others were undecided, and a few were certain it was not.

Strange how at this point they never bothered to bring up the subject of video refs. Very strange.....

Funny decision that one. The 2 commentators, and even the 3 pundits after could not agree whether it was a sending off or not. Seedorf certainly thought it was. A few others were undecided, and a few were certain it was not.

Strange how at this point they never bothered to bring up the subject of video refs. Very strange.....

I think they and we care a lot more when these things affect England, if I were Portugese I'd be so p*ssed off.....and greasy!

I think more players should be booked for diving but it is so hard to work out because of the speed of the game and they know that

I think they and we care a lot more when these things affect England,

Really ? The pundits seemed incredibly bothered by the injustice felt by Mexico. They went on and on about it and constantly referred to it in the ongoing chats about video technology.

Then all of a sudden a situation arises where video technology clearly would not have helped ? Suddenly silence and no mention of it at all...

I wonder why ? No actually I know why. They have decided their agenda is getting this technology implemented as England were hard done by it*. When a situation arises where they can back up their claim ? They will make sure and mention it. When a situation arises that goes against their claim ? They will fail to mention it.

Facts speak for themselves.

*Understandable - but hardly a balanced way to discuss the situation and get to the correct conclusion.

strange campaign by portugal

4 games , they kicked goals in only one but in that one game they managed 7

Really ? The pundits seemed incredibly bothered by the injustice felt by Mexico. They went on and on about it and constantly referred to it in the ongoing chats about video technology.

Then all of a sudden a situation arises where video technology clearly would not have helped ? Suddenly silence and no mention of it at all...

I wonder why ? No actually I know why. They have decided their agenda is getting this technology implemented as England were hard done by it*. When a situation arises where they can back up their claim ? They will make sure and mention it. When a situation arises that goes against their claim ? They will fail to mention it.

Facts speak for themselves.

*Understandable - but hardly a balanced way to discuss the situation and get to the correct conclusion.

Don't forget we are talking about pundits here, at the end of the day it is just hot air. I don't listen to all that after a game, it is over, I'd just like to see the game run better

Get over it.

Or as Gary Lineker put it last night : "[if only we had goal line tech] to think, the score could have been 4-2!"

Yep, get over it.

And while we're talking about making the game fair why no hoo-hah about the 18 yrd box obstruction at the other end minutes later? What, no calls for a German penalty?

Or are we just talking making it "fair for the 'england' (not my england btw) football team" ;)

Or as Gary Lineker put it last night : "[if only we had goal line tech] to think, the score could have been 4-2!"

Yep, get over it.

And while we're talking about making the game fair why no hoo-hah about the 18 yrd box obstruction at the other end minutes later? What, no calls for a German penalty?

Or are we just talking making it "fair for the 'england' (not my england btw) football team" ;)

by that logic why the controversy over the 1966 final goal since even without it england would have won 3-2?

strange campaign by portugal

4 games , they kicked goals in only one but in that one game they managed 7

Yes was very strange. Looked good in patches but something just missing. I also think Spain are not going to win this either. They just seem to be lacking something up front. Now with Villa and Torres up front hat may seem strange. However they just don't seem to have the same cutting edge for goals that other teams have. Germany, Argentina and Brazil I rate ahead of them now.

Don't forget we are talking about pundits here, at the end of the day it is just hot air. I don't listen to all that after a game, it is over, I'd just like to see the game run better

Aye they do talk piss. It is just annoying when they bring up a subject over and over again, and then suddenly they decide to ignore it at a perfect opportunity - just because it doesn't fir in with their views. So narrow minded and lame.

Let them have this video debate away from the World Cup. Then they can think about it properly.

Aye they do talk piss. It is just annoying when they bring up a subject over and over again, and then suddenly they decide to ignore it at a perfect opportunity - just because it doesn't fir in with their views. So narrow minded and lame.

They are the ones who got a lucky job and aren't running pubs when their careers ended

As a non football going fan I do like the world cup but it reminds me how such a simple game is so poorly run

Yes was very strange. Looked good in patches but something just missing. I also think Spain are not going to win this either. They just seem to be lacking something up front. Now with Villa and Torres up front hat may seem strange. However they just don't seem to have the same cutting edge for goals that other teams have. Germany, Argentina and Brazil I rate ahead of them now.

Let them have this video debate away from the World Cup. Then they can think about it properly.

If Arsenal were a national side, they would be Spain. Can be very pretty to watch, but they ultimately fail when they come againat a team who can stifle their method of play.

They are the ones who got a lucky job and aren't running pubs when their careers ended

As a non football going fan I do like the world cup but it reminds me how such a simple game is so poorly run

Yup - i think this may have already been posted. But just in case:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/mattslater/2010/06/can_english_football_ever_adap.html

That's the English response: big talk about far-reaching reforms and thinking the unthinkable, before bottling it and going for the quick fix. Over in Germany, however, they do things a bit differently...they actually do things.

Having suffered the "humiliation" of losing to Croatia in the quarter-finals of World Cup 1998 and failing to get out of the group stages of Euro 2000 (compounded by a 1-0 defeat to a mediocre England), the bosses at the German FA sat down with their counterparts at the Bundesliga and came up with a plan: a 500m-euro investment in youth.

by that logic why the controversy over the 1966 final goal since even without it england would have won 3-2?

Sorry, for a moment I thought we were discussing our supposedly unfair exit from the 2010 wc. My mistake. :lol: