House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

* Culture * Books * Booksellers Barnes & Noble Shares Drop By 16% After Warning Of Weak Profits

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/jun/29/booksellers-retail

A shift in literary tastes from books to digital reading devices has hurt America's biggest high street bookseller, Barnes & Noble, which saw its shares slump 16% on Wall Street on a warning of weak profits.

Barnes & Noble, a stalwart of the books industry which has 720 high street shops in the US, revealed a $32m (£21m) loss for the three months to May following a 3% drop in like-for-like sales at its bricks and mortar stores. The company conceded that investment in e-books would hit earnings in the year ahead.

"We are planning to redirect a significant portion of our financial resources towards investments in technology, sales and marketing," said chief executive William Lynch. "These investments will impact our bottom line in 2011, but we believe they will enable Barnes & Noble to capitalise on the significant mid-to-long term growth opportunities presented by the digital markets."

In common with others in the industry, Barnes & Noble is hoping that downloads of digital books, plus mail-order sales from its website, will make up for a decline on the high street.

E-books will overtake printed books in popularity in a few years, I think. This will hit booksellers and public libraries hard. Think of how mobile phones have made public call-boxes virtually redundant - e-books will do the same to libraries.

E-books will overtake printed books in popularity in a few years, I think. This will hit booksellers and public libraries hard. Think of how mobile phones have made public call-boxes virtually redundant - e-books will do the same to libraries.

Perhaps it would be cheaper for councils to divide the library bill up and give everyone a voucher for that much to buy an ebook?

And until you can read an ebook in the bath without risking killing it then I'm not that interested.

Perhaps it would be cheaper for councils to divide the library bill up and give everyone a voucher for that much to buy an ebook?

And until you can read an ebook in the bath without risking killing it then I'm not that interested.

I've noticed a lot of people who've got ipads don't look that interested in baths.

I think people are not buying books because books are a luxury in a recession.

Book publishers and sellers can see less overheads and more profit going down the ebook road - ebooks are astly over-priced. It is like the CD rip-off again.

Plus they are aiming for digital rights management stuff so you can't lend a book to a friend. My group of friends buys loads of books but we swap and share - is that good or bad for the book industry?

Ok, they will sell on Bill Bryson to us but then the rest of us go out and buy different books. If we each had to buy a Bryson it would mean we would buy less books... and maybe stop altogether.

Another example of meeja folk see the net as a way to screw people.

Although I don't think e-books will replace printed ones completely - or not for a long time, they are likely to satisfy the 'need to read' market - e.g. those people who borrow books from libraries of buy paperbacks to feed their reading habit. The other side of book-buying - the 'need-to-own' sector - where people want shelf-cred in their living room, coffee table books or other books that are desirable as objects, is likely to fare better.

The thing with iPads and other pads that might be in the pipeline is that once someone owns one, they can use it as an e-book. They might not have bought it primarily for that purpose, but when they discover they can use it that way, many people are likely to do so.

Edited by blankster

Guest sillybear2

What on earth are they going to do with all those trees? No wander "Lumber" is collapsing.

I suppose they could burn them to power the electronic devices.

2prwj0h.jpg

Timber!