House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
kinesin

Anecdotal - Sunday Dinner Table Chat

I live at home, in the northwest and nearly every week have a Sunday sit down family meal, involving me +GF, my parents, Grandmother, Brother and his GF.

A few months ago (June) I was yelled down and shouted at for mentioning houseprices were falling across the UK - this was after I had been looking to buy in Feb/March and then given up completely by May. Having found HPC and realising my gut feeling was correct and is now been backed up with local adverts etc.

At the time I tried back up the falling market idea - but was out gunned by good old fashion denial, figures are useless in this evironment any mention of renting was shot down.

Tonight was different - very different! :blink:

My brother is thinking about moving out, and the story of one of my parents friends 'for sale flat' came up. - Originally on the valued at 170K, but on the market at 165k - after not having a sniff of an offer, it's now dropped to 149K, with my Father saying 'if it gets to 125k' he would buy it, my brother joining in.

Anyway when I asked about the market falling, my mother actually suggested an 8% fall over the 12months. - in the end I ended up using a 5% model for pure ease of numbers.

It was then on the "Renting is dead money" myth - Somehow I think I got the message through, especially to my Brother and GF - hell I think my mother even got it :o

Using classic 100K IO mortgage flat as an examples i.e 6% £500/month and explaining that this is just an interest only mortage, so you still need to find that 100K in 25 years, - a repayment mortage just required more $$$$ a month.

Everyone around the table agreed that it's possible to rent this 100K at below £500/month, my mother telling the story of how one of her friends daughters now rents locally another £500/month 2 bed flat for £400 - accepted on first offer. :P

This also gave the chance to tell my brother that rents are only a guide, and going in 15% lower and offering 12months contracts will in many cases get you somewhere - Something I didn't know until HPC informed me..

Anyway, having explained that it's possible to rent for £400 instead of pay the £500 to rent off the bank, and having the benefit that building insurance, faulty doors, boilers, windows etc aren't your problem, only the landlords. Everyone could see that this was a small but total saving of £1200, - £1500/year with any landlord costs.

During this time the flat would have dropped to 95K, but plus the extra saving a mortgage would only need to be 93.5K - Everyone then jumped in saying that only 90K max, maybe 85K would be required to buy as the prices are falling :P

Total saving in one year renting: 10K - Something which for the same repayments/month knocks 5 years off the mortgage term :o

What completely amazed me was the complete agreement that prices were falling - In just 3 months and with a few personal local stories creeping in, it's got from hardcore denial to "it's only a few percent" :ph34r:

- I think the maths just proved that a few percent is one hell of alot on mortgage!! : :D

i also noticed the subject of house price falls is now agreeable in conversation, rather than the laughable it was a short time ago.

i could only look smarter is i travelled along to appointments on top of a meekon type of hover disc.

yep - HPC is here people!!! - hang on to your hats!!!

there's a few people i haven't seen for a while who have laughed at me in the recent past - as if to say "there there now fool, run along now", who i will be quite interested to talk to again .....

yep - HPC is here people!!! - hang on to your hats!!!

there's a few people i haven't seen for a while who have laughed at me in the recent past - as if to say "there there now fool, run along now", who i will be quite interested to talk to again .....

Lap it up while you can, soon THEY will be telling YOU about the crash, and when you try and tell them that you've been telling them for ages they will deny, dont worry though we can work through our own anger phase :lol:

you aint just got back in have from work have you :blink:

Guest Charlie The Tramp

I just explain to people what a potemkin economy is and fiat money, that normally creates a very worried look. :rolleyes:

What completely amazed me was the complete agreement that prices were falling - In just 3 months and with a few personal local stories creeping in, it's got from hardcore denial to "it's only a few percent"

You can't beat girlie gossip. The same girlie gossip that got them out there becoming overnight property developers and painting houses beige is now talking about falling house prices.

I note that it was your Mother who first agreed with you that HPs were falling. No doubt she has been talking with her other girlie friends and, well boys, never underestimate the power of girlie gossip.

If you want to hasten the crash I suggest all the HPC males go and whisper into their beloved's ears that so and sos house down the road went for X percent below the asking price... sit back and wait! :lol:

you aint just got back in have from work have you :blink:

offtopic

yeah - scandalous aint it - sunny bank holiday w/end an i'm stuck in the office <_<

/offtopic - as you were ....

And, is it just me or are there less and less posts on this site from bulls?

not alot for any bull to be bullish about, pretty much everything points to "uh oh". Its now just a waiting game , have to wait for the masses to agree then we ride it down and in a couple of years try and call the bottom.

F*ck knows what were going to talk about until then :lol:

Don't forget, creating havoc before then!

:)

go easy on the havoc though. remember, at any time we may be ordered off this world to start at the next. it depends on the logostics of the cosmos. when vacancies come up, they are filled. if your a known troublemaker you might end up having to clean the heaven bogs or work in the heaven canteen.

when i go and my soul travels through the tunnel, i will look at my feet in a clumsy manner and give any female angels the old 'sheeps eyes' when i get there.

go easy on the havoc though. remember, at any time we may be ordered off this world to start at the next. it depends on the logostics of the cosmos. when vacancies come up, they are filled. if your a known troublemaker you might end up having to clean the heaven bogs or work in the heaven canteen.

when i go and my soul travels through the tunnel, i will look at my feet in a clumsy manner and give any female angels the old 'sheeps eyes' when i get there.

angels don't have gender , so watch where you put your willy! I'm going to neutralis equlibrium ( my version of a bad pantene pro V advert).

Once your dead your dead, worm food , nothing more, religion is there to keep you in line. Carpe diem it up!

EDITED:

Just incase im wrong, supreme being dude (or buda) i didnt mean it the bad one made me say it but he's gone now.

Edited by theChuz

angels don't have gender , so watch where you put your willy! I'm going to neutralis equlibrium ( my version of a bad pantene pro V advert).

Once your dead your dead, worm food , nothing more, religion is there to keep you in line.  Carpe diem it up!

EDITED:

Just incase im wrong, supreme being dude (or buda)  i didnt mean it the bad one made me say it but he's gone now.

i know what your saying, but there MUST have been a door where you came in ?

also**Pantene Pro ad :lol::lol:

i like the ones where they rip off a well know tune, but slightly off key. at the moment they are ripping off SEALs future love paradise. i think thats pantene or something. maybe panties ?

Edited by right_freds_dead

F*ck knows what were going to talk about until then  :lol:

:lol::lol:

i posted on a glasto website for a bit. (when worried about gettin tickets and hpc was broken) - anyway. thats not on for 2 years now and chat there has all but dried up.

now the big "is there gonna be a hpc" question is answered - maybe we can gibber in Off Topic?

(even though shaker has gone a bit weird in there of late??)

:lol:  :lol:

i posted on a glasto website for a bit. (when worried about gettin tickets and hpc was broken) - anyway. thats not on for 2 years now and chat there has all but dried up.

now the big "is there gonna be a hpc" question is answered - maybe we can gibber in Off Topic?

(even though shaker has gone a bit weird in there of late??)

should all trade msn details and party in cyber space.. yep thats right im single and dont get out much .. does it show :lol:

Slaters been abit quiet, i reakon he's turned to smack.

should all trade msn details and party in cyber space.. yep thats right im single and dont get out much .. does it show  :lol:

Slaters been abit quiet, i reakon he's turned to smack.

:lol::lol::lol:

someone pm slater and tell him he's missin out.

probably too busy counting his cash .....

i cant tell wether i can hear carnival steel drums or a badly tuned ice cream van.

**note to self.

must stop grinding dolby metal recording tape into powder and injecting into ankle veins.

Edited by right_freds_dead