House Price Crash Forum
NatterJackToad

Benefit Entitlement

my girlfriend has just lost her temporary job.

we can get by in the short-term (just) on my wage alone.

however, is she entitled to any other benefits that the dole (£45 per week)?

she jointly owns the house and we have a £700 mortgage.

is there a website etc, or can I trust the Job Centre interview to give her all the benefits she's entitled to?

obviously i hope this is short term but in this economy you never know and sadly every pound counts.

is there a website etc, or can I trust the Job Centre interview to give her all the benefits she's entitled to?

obviously i hope this is short term but in this economy you never know and sadly every pound counts.

if she says your the boyfriend then you'll be entitled to almost nothing, if she worked long enough so could get jsa for upto 6 months not sure if thats contribution base or income based. anyway best thing is to say just flat mates not lovers.

Pretty sure you're screwed if you don't have kids. Job seekers is all you'll get.

Assuming you live together your wage will be expected to cover bills, mortgage, etc. As a household you may be able to claim tax credits if you are on a very low wage, but if you're over £20k you can probably forget that.

Guest UK Debt Slave

Make the most of it while you can.

The British will be discovering in the next few years that nobody is 'entitled' to anything because there ain't no money to pay for it

I think you will find that cohabiting with a wage earner (you) disqualifies her for pretty much everything. If you were move out temporarily (to parents or something) she could probably get housing benefit.

Have a look at the web site called 'entitled to'.

She should get six months JSA if she has paid the past two years NI contributions. Sign on as soon as possible.

Hopefully you'll be able to live on one salary for a while.

dont think you will get anything,

you said it was only temp job, so you must be ok to pay the mortgage

If she has paid enough class 1 NI in the last financial year she qualifies for non means tested JSA. If she has been working as a temp worker or freelance and has been paying class 2 NI then what she gets in terms of JSA is means tested - on your joint income. If your joint income is above what you would get as joint JSA claim (around 100 per week) then she gets nothing. Whatever the outcome of JSA you wont get anything else.

This is happening everywhere. That £700 a month mortgage taken out on an overpriced property is going to hurt. 10 years ago, in the same situation you would probably only need £200 - £300 per month to keep up with the mortgage payments and wouldn't need to ask about what benifits your other half qualifies for. This is why HPI is evil and socially destructive.

Best bet if you cant afford the mortgage is to get her up the duff :D

Or sell up.

Check with Citizens Advice or something.

At least the crash happened before you bought. Looks like you placed your bet on money printing and high inflation coming to your rescue.

im here everyday but thats cos its one of the few websites that gets past my work filter.

its not the best forum on the net. but its OK. quite entertaining.

i listened to all the advice and watched the crash happen - they were surely the glory days of HPC - when the world was collapsing!. it was the last thing i looked on at night and the 1st thing in the morning.

ive since bought a house :o:o:o but how long can you wait? i think i got an OK deal. FTB, decent area, garden, loft conversioon, £120k.

i think it'll be high inflation cos its too easy to print out of the problems.

Contribution based JSA is given whatever your earnings as long as you have made the contributions.

Also, you may now be able to get a single persons discount on the council tax.

It depends on WHAT class NI she has paid in the last financial year. If its class 1 then she will get JSA if it is class 2 then it is based on joint income and she wont. Likewise, council tax benifit is means-tested on joint income. Whatever, you won't qualify for single person discount on council tax if there are 2 of you.

Pretty sure you're screwed if you don't have kids. Job seekers is all you'll get.

Assuming you live together your wage will be expected to cover bills, mortgage, etc. As a household you may be able to claim tax credits if you are on a very low wage, but if you're over £20k you can probably forget that.

Yup screwed - unlikely to get JSA even.

dont think you will get anything,

you said it was only temp job, so you must be ok to pay the mortgage

Yes - nothing.

Have a look at the web site called 'entitled to'.

She should get six months JSA if she has paid the past two years NI contributions. Sign on as soon as possible.

Hopefully you'll be able to live on one salary for a while.

Nope. If you're on anything more than about 325k, then you get nothing.

Contribution based JSA is given whatever your earnings as long as you have made the contributions.

Also, you may now be able to get a single persons discount on the council tax.

Don't get council tax discount - there are two of you in the house, therefore you get nothing (unless both of you are unemployed).

My advice would be to give up your job also, then you'll both be much better off. Just think of the quality time you could spent together down in the job centre.

This is happening everywhere. That £700 a month mortgage taken out on an overpriced property is going to hurt. 10 years ago, in the same situation you would probably only need £200 - £300 per month to keep up with the mortgage payments and wouldn't need to ask about what benifits your other half qualifies for. This is why HPI is evil and socially destructive.

Best bet if you cant afford the mortgage is to get her up the duff :D

Or sell up.

completely agree with you.. it is evil. its a joke. but after reading this site for 2 years... watching the dip, then the flattening etc, and "recovery" i just couldnt be bothered waiting anymore. yes, i can cover all bills etc on my wage but life will be grim till she gets another job. i can cope with a couple of months of grimness. might even do me good and keep me off the booze for a bit!

but as a 25yr old FTB its either jump on when you think you've got a good deal, or what? rent and wait for 5 years? not knowing if the government will just keep on printing and inflating the debt away? or live with mum and dad? no, it was time and the right thing to do. do i feel screwed - hell yeah. tough times ahead for all youngsters out there without minted parents.

Was going to say the same thing, you need kids and fast. Now may be a good time to start

I think you will find that cohabiting with a wage earner (you) disqualifies her for pretty much everything. If you were move out temporarily (to parents or something) she could probably get housing benefit.

Even if the rules allowed it, it is ethically indefensible to take money from working tax-payers that rent privately, to pay for someone else's mortgage.

And to make things even worse, you are suggesting benefit fraud - a criminal offence. ( BTW, this suggestion may already be a criminal offence in itself.)

I wish you both all the best, and that she manages to find a job soon.

And please don't listen to people advising you to commit fraud.

Say you're separated, you'll get HB then if you're paying rent.

If you say you're together, you'll be expected to be supporting her so you'll get JSA alone.

I was in a very similar situation, our tenancy agreement had both our names on it and I showed em bank details showing that I was paying half the rent. The claim was assessed without the other half involved from that point on, just as if I was on my own, on the dole, and paying that amount of rent.

I think it was OK as it was pretty clear from bank statements that I was contributing 50% of the rent every month, so I was paying rent as an individual effectively.

Edited by EUBanana

kids would seem to be the way forward...

as kids arent on my radar for a few years ive not looked into the financial benefits yet.

why is everyone saying have kids?

thanks for all the advice so far!

Say you're separated, you'll get HB then if you're paying rent.

If you say you're together, you'll be expected to be supporting her so you'll get JSA alone.

I was in a very similar situation, our tenancy agreement had both our names on it and I showed em bank details showing that I was paying half the rent. The claim was assessed without the other half involved from that point on, just as if I was on my own, on the dole, and paying that amount of rent.

I think it was OK as it was pretty clear from bank statements that I was contributing 50% of the rent every month, so I was paying rent as an individual effectively.

Just to be clear because there are some incorrect things stated on this thread. What JSA she qualifies for depends on what class and how much NI she has paid in the last financial year. She may get full JSA if she has paid enough class 1 NI and your income will not affect that.