House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AteMoose

Cars Aren't Depreciating

I'm looking at desirable cars (for fun not to buy) on autotrader and they are not depreciating at all! A performance car costing 60k new seems to loose 10k in the first year, 4k in the second year, and nothing in the third year! Its bizarre.... In the old days in two/three years a performance car lost half its value, the levels of depreciation are relatively tiny, it almost makes sense to buy a very expensive car and sell after 3 years, it would probably cost you less in depreciation than buying a normal car and selling it in three years...

Its annoying In the past I bought a reasonably desirable car that was 4 years old for 10->15% of its original price (new price 32k, paid 6k for a 4 year old car), today for a desirable car your looking at paying 70->80% of its original price

I'm looking at desirable cars (for fun not to buy) on autotrader and they are not depreciating at all!  A performance car costing 60k new seems to loose 10k in the first year, 4k in the second year, and nothing in the third year!  Its bizarre....  In the old days in two/three years a performance car lost half its value, the levels of depreciation are relatively tiny, it almost makes sense to buy a very expensive car and sell after 3 years, it would probably cost you less in depreciation than buying a normal car and selling it in three years...

Its annoying In the past I bought a reasonably desirable car that was 4 years old for 10->15% of its original price (new price 32k, paid 6k for a 4 year old car), today for a desirable car your looking at paying 70->80% of its original price

Buy classic bikes maybe? The NR750 for instance sold for about £38K for one. Today they trade at around £100K.

Guest Noodle

I've been looking. My old Citroen that I bought near 8 year ago is worth the same now! Even with the stonking mileage on it.

Reckon bangers have doubled and then some, it's getting like Thailand this. :angry:

Guest Noodle

Buy classic bikes maybe? The NR750 for instance sold for about £38K for one. Today they trade at around £100K.

Saw that odd looking Ferrari bike up for £250k.

I'm looking at desirable cars (for fun not to buy) on autotrader and they are not depreciating at all!  A performance car costing 60k new seems to loose 10k in the first year, 4k in the second year, and nothing in the third year!  Its bizarre....  In the old days in two/three years a performance car lost half its value, the levels of depreciation are relatively tiny, it almost makes sense to buy a very expensive car and sell after 3 years, it would probably cost you less in depreciation than buying a normal car and selling it in three years...

I have seen the same. I have been watching the price of DB9's and they have only recently started dropping below £45k (04 & 05). I am now considering a Maserati GT which would be newer (57, 08 & 58), more passenger space and around the £50k-£55k. I did find a nice 55/06 911 C4 for £35k a while back.