House Price Crash Forum

Iphone 4- 2 Million Units Sold In Days

HOLA441
Surpassing all the records set earlier by the Apple Inc’s devices, the latest addition to its stable, iPhone 4, is creating new benchmark for the iPhone company.

Launched on June 24, iPhone 4 sold out over 1.7 million units in period of just three days. This benchmark has been created despite unavailability of the White model and shortage of devices being faced by Apple.

http://www.mediamughals.com/News/1/6/Article/5719/iPhone_4_breaks_all_sales_record_for_Apple_devices_yet.htm

Probably up to 2 million now.

Despite costing £600 in total.

Being an Iphone, within a year of two the unit you buy will be scratched to death and the battery will suddenly loose all charge capability, rendering the phone useless.

So its hardly a long term investment.

Just shows we have a really long way to go yet!!!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

0 years, because nobody who buys a phone that has a poor reception and a glass back making it super fragile is anything but a fashion victim that is trying too hard ;)

You're not one of them, you know, left handers are you?

HOLA447

http://www.mediamughals.com/News/1/6/Article/5719/iPhone_4_breaks_all_sales_record_for_Apple_devices_yet.htm

Being an Iphone, within a year of two the unit you buy will be scratched to death and the battery will suddenly loose all charge capability, rendering the phone useless.

Yep there was a dozy cow on the Radio 5 phone in last night bemoaning how her phone (I cant remember what it was) was now a year out of date and how awful that was. Her fellow guest admitted to not owning a mobile (works from home and has a perfectly good landline) and you could feel her uncomprehension at such a situation addling her little mind.

It is very sad that so many are continually duped into buying the very latest stuff all the time Apple users are particularly bad for making out that they are so clever for using Macs Ipods etc. when really all they are are brand monkeys and are paying a hefty premium for it.

HOLA448
HOLA449

No, and I'm not an Apple fanboy either ;)

It's somewhat ironic that Apple is supposed to be popular with creative types, who are also more likely to be left-handed :lol:

Phew that's a relief. I know you are a bit of a lefty, but left handed too and it would have pushed me over the edge.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

iPhones are a commodity and hold their value surprisingly well unlike most other mobile phones. 1 year old last gen unlocked will probably fetch £200-250. Take the subsidised price of the phone rather than the outright price from Apple and you've covered your upfront cost. I'm no rabid fan boy but I have owned an iPhone since the first model and will continue to do so until someone comes up with something better. In the early days you had to jailbreak and unlock but Apple has slowly caught up and the current version of the OS and the Phone are in my opinion fantastic.

All the media hype and hysteria over reception issues and scratches is in my experience so far a total storm in a teacup that only an apple product could generate. No one cares about other electronic devices because they are built with utility only in mind but something about apple product inspires real emotion both positive and negative and thus with every release of a new product the internet is full of tales of woe.

I suspect there is a good deal of guilt from those who couldn't really afford to splash out but did so anyway. Having done so they they punish themselves by picking holes in the product.

For what it is worth the new iPhone is in my opinion fantastic. The reception is as far as I am concerned much better than previous models, the 3G performance significantly improved as is wifi range and speed. Sure if you stand in the cellar and wrap your hands round the phone the signal drops but what idiot would do that? In real world use I haven't noticed any negative issues with reception at all, in fact only positive and this is on O2's flakey network.

Don't believe the negative hype just as you shouldn't believe the apple reality distortion field.

HOLA4415

http://www.mediamugh...devices_yet.htm

Many bought by young people who know they are never going to be able to afford to buy a home and so think there is no need to save money. Just spend, spend, spend.

HOLA4416

The Guardian had Stephen Fry enthusing about the new iPhone the other day. What was interesting was the fervour expressed in the readers' comments (708 of them to date).

Wow, I'm in first! It will be interesting to see all the Apple haters have their usual go at the iPhone 4.

I see they've all become rather quiet now the iPad has sold over 2 million. Once again Apple show that great design trumps hundreds of features every time.

ooh, the Apple haters aren't going to be happy about this. What about the Nokia N99 and the HTC Sortofwant? The Guardian MUST be taking backhanders from Apple! AAAGHHGHGHGHGHGH.

It gets just a little polarised after that. I can see rival factions clashing in the streets in the coming days and weeks.

Edit. Oh yes, one of Mr. Fry's points was

A year ago, iPhone 3GS was released with a new operating system and now iPhone 4 arrives with iOS 4.0, offering an array of long-awaited functions. Since that 2009 3GS launch, the Taiwanese manufacturer HTC in particular has upped its game and risen to Apple's challenge, producing handsets for the Android OS that offer slews of features, including free turn-by-turn navigation, multi-tasking, removable batteries and highly customisable interfaces.

Removable batteries? My God, whatever will they think of next?

Edited by Scunnered

HOLA4417

Its tribal human nature. Don't get it myself but I guess it must be innate. Catholic/Protestant - Tory/Labour - Chelsea/Manchester - iPhone/Android. Some people for whatever reason of insecurity feel the need to cling to their belief and deride others who believe otherwise.

HOLA4418

£600 for two years of looking fabulous and cool. Sounds like a bargain to some.

My phone is 8 years old now.

I gave up looking fabulous and cool some time ago.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/science-%26-technology/apple-forgot-to-hold-iphone-before-putting-it-in-the-shops-201006252853/

APPLE has admitted it forgot to check its new mobile phone worked before shipping millions of them to stores around the globe.

The company has advised owners of the new iPhone4 that the device should function normally as long as they do not try to hold it with their hands.

A spokesman said: "Holding it with your feet should be okay as long as you're wearing Jesus sandals or flippers.

"But to get the most from your new iPhone you really need to fashion a holding device made from a coathanger, a Kraft cheese single and a fish slice.

"This should allow you to get the phone to within about 18 inches of your chin. You can then operate the touchpad with an easy-to-use jumbo pencil, or maybe a chopstick."

The spokesman said pictorial instructions for making the fish slice contraption are now available from the Apple Store for £59.99.

Meanwhile insiders said that this would have to be absolutely the last time Apple issued a product without anyone in the company actually picking one of them up and switching it on.

A source at Apple's Cupertino headquarters said: "When something looks that nice the idea of checking to make sure it works seems a bit rude. It would be like asking Sienna Miller the capital of Ecuador."

Nathan Muir, an iPhone owner, said: "This is not my first mobile phone. In fact I bought my first one in October 1998 and in less than a fortnight I had worked out how to hold it properly. But I have always been really good with technology.

"Over the years Steve Jobs has managed to come up with so many colourful and imaginative ways of saying he's ******ed something into a cocked hat, but I think 'you're holding it wrong' is my new favourite."

Did they make this in their suicide factory? Anyone know?

Edited by Red Karma

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

£600 for two years of looking fabulous and cool. Sounds like a bargain to some.

An impossibility for me. :(

The only way I could look cool would be to stick me in an iFridge.

Its tribal human nature. Don't get it myself but I guess it must be innate. Catholic/Protestant - Tory/Labour - Chelsea/Manchester - iPhone/Android. Some people for whatever reason of insecurity feel the need to cling to their belief and deride others who believe otherwise.

It's hard to think of another reason why people feel the need to validate their existence through their choice of corporate brand name.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

I refuse to own one.

Those video recorders will never catch on you know, just be in front of your televisual receiving device at the allotted time! The youth of today. It wasn't like this in my day, running water? Ridiculous! Bucket and rope down a well is all you need. Grumble grumble moan moan