House Price Crash Forum
TheCountOfNowhere

Ftse Starting Off Well...down 1.39%

Clearly the traders need a coke delivery how dare they see reality.

Now that we have the austerity/reality measures i wonder how many people are looking at their share portfolio and thinking...."I'd better cash that in now, need the money".

Much like houses...your best chance to sell and make a profit was last year. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

Has the death cross occurred

50 day moving average crosses below the 200 day moving averages is a good indicator of hard falls ahead.

Bill Bonner

Why you should fear the Dead Cross

We don’t know whether you hold much stock in technical analysis, dear reader. Many readers would probably believe the predictions of a tea leaf reader before those of a “chartist”.

But if you do, you’ve probably already put your tin hat on… sold the stocks you’re not 100% comfortable with… and perhaps even opened up a “short” position to cash in if the market does what it often does when this chart pattern shows itself…

So what’s this pattern… and what does the signal say?

First, just in case you didn’t already know, technical analysis involves studying patterns on price charts. Typically, investors who look at technical analysis don’t care too much about the fundamentals – e.g. value, earnings, etc – they only care about what has happened historically with price… and figure out what it means about the future.

Some, though, use technical analysis to confirm their fundamental analysis.

The price pattern our two colleagues picked up on last one has a bit of a reputation. It’s got previous form… and it’s not nice.

Down below 5000 again now. Gains of the last 2 weeks wiped out.

The trend downwards continues.

FTSE 100 4989.50 down -82.18 -1.62%

ANy ideas what good/bad/indifferent news has caused the drop ?

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

Down below 5000 again now. Gains of the last 2 weeks wiped out.

The trend downwards continues.

FTSE 100 4989.50 down -82.18 -1.62%

ANy ideas what good/bad/indifferent news has caused the drop ?

Euro / Yen at 108.32. A pretty firm break below 110 which is the current risk aversion threshold. If Euro / Yen sustains its break below 110 during NY hours, the day could get a bit messy.

Mother of Christ. Do we have to have daily updates on market movements? If the market closes below 5000 or even better 4900, it might be worth mentioning. This isn't as bad as realistbear's non event threads, but you are cutting it fine.

Edited by Shylock

Did Realistbear just buy back in? :blink::D

I bet you went long on the Euro and sterling didn't you? Should have listened to my warnings. I bet you have been buying stocks too?

I was out of the market in May--now about 3% in stocks, 10% in PIMCO's Total Return Fund (up around 5.75% YTD) and the rest NOT in Euros or pounds.

My 3-day-in-a-row thread on the FTSE (removed by the Mods a couple of days ago) suggested the bear was back and that we will see a major sell off in the near term.

FTSE 100 4982.97-1.75% Why?

Simple answer: double dip is the new reality as denial fades.

(Redalert's buy signal?)

I bet you went long on the Euro and sterling didn't you? Should have listened to my warnings. I bet you have been buying stocks too?

3....2...... 1 and a half.... 1........ now!... no now!...... now!....... no wait... right... now!.... this time.... .... now!..... now!... WHOOT! There see, was right all along :rolleyes:

Mother of Christ. Do we have to have daily updates on market movements? If the market closes below 5000 or even better 4900, it might be worth mentioning. This isn't as bad as realistbear's non event threads, but you are cutting it fine.

Its a crash alert and might save some people some money. The early warnings of many have proven to be correct. The last few days sell off were not just any sell-off.....they were reflecting a shifting psychology that was starting to move from denial to realism that the credit collapse is not going away because of as few brave speeches by politicians.

The ups and downs start to form a trend and its spotting the trends that made the likes of Buffett rich. Read the data, study the fundamentals, avoid the technicals and you should see a pattern emerge.

Roubini understands this method:

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/roubini-says-greece-needs-orderly-debt-restructuring-to-avoid-inevitable-default-tele-e37bcaa1f990.html?x=0

Roubini says Greece needs orderly debt restructuring to avoid 'inevitable default'
9:14, Tuesday 29 June 2010
Greece needs an orderly restructuring of its public debt to head off an "inevitable default", says Nouriel Roubini, the man credited with predicting the financial crisis.

Usually when stocks fall I expect to see gold doing well.

What's going on this time?

Is there anywhere safe left to put my cash?

Interesting times. My valuation of RB's posts increases each week.

That's nothing. Stick around and watch 20 people post minute by minutes blows of market prices when things fall a bit.

Usually when stocks fall I expect to see gold doing well.

What's going on this time?

Is there anywhere safe left to put my cash?

Interesting times. My valuation of RB's posts increases each week.

-1.36%

That was yesterday. Gold doing a bit better today and down around $5 per ounce.

Gold would normally rise when the markets panic in relation to stock sell-offs that are triggered by the sovereign debt crisis and the fact it has not gone away. Might see the $ resume upward momentum--as predicted by a number of NY traders over the last few days.

Edited by Realistbear

I was out of the market in May--now about 3% in stocks, 10% in PIMCO's Total Return Fund (up around 5.75% YTD) and the rest NOT in Euros or pounds.

My 3-day-in-a-row thread on the FTSE (removed by the Mods a couple of days ago) suggested the bear was back and that we will see a major sell off in the near term.

FTSE 100 4982.97-1.75% Why?

Simple answer: double dip is the new reality as denial fades.

(Redalert's buy signal?)

No, I'm not into stocks at all. And I'm also not the one who sold their house sometime in 2004 in a rather poor attempt at market timing... :lol:

Its a crash alert and might save some people some money.

If anyone has invested, it should be with money they can afford to lose and they should be doing this analysis themselves, not taking advice from random strangers off the internet.

But post what you like - I just feel overall macro posts discussing fundamentals are more useful than commentary on micro movements which may or may not be indicative of a trend

But post what you like - I just feel overall macro posts discussing fundamentals are more useful than commentary on micro movements which may or may not be indicative of a trend

It's up a bit now.

Now it's down a bit.

Down a bit more.

That's nothing. Stick around and watch 20 people post minute by minutes blows of market prices when things fall a bit.

Sometimes this happens and is worth reading. There have been a couple of plummets which looked like turning into routs which were worth commenting on.