House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sledgehead

Oxford: Shop Keepers Say No To Raised Rents

So you own a shop and think you can charge what rent you like eh?

Well, in Oxford the peasants are revolting:

"If they succeed in those rent increases I know there'll be three to four - five even - boarded up shops within the next six months"

I think they call that sort of 'success' a pyrrhic victory!

Haven't these silly landlords heard that the high street ain't what it used to be?

Rate hikes 'threatening traders' , BBC South, 28th Aug

Still, maybe they'll get their blood from stones for a few months. Then what?

If shop keepers are revolting, it raise questions about pricing power in residential letting. With children staying on at home ever longer, living with the parents could become more the norm. That would remove the social stigma, something that has already been tempered by the high price of starter homes. If that happens the long hoped for residentail letting rate pick-up may prove disappointing.

Edited by Sledgehead

Greedy landlords have made a fortune and, in doing so, have destroyed town centres right across the UK. I am glad that more and more stores are moving 'out of town'.

IMPO local authorities and councillors are not blameless in this regard.

Good job inflation is 2% eh?

Time to sack the BOE, they have given the bastardized HICP index (which is deisgned to hide inflation) the credibility it never deserved and sent us on a perilous route to huge hidden inflation and the destruction of earnings power and savings.

Still, maybe they'll get their blood from stones for a few months. Then what?

Anecdotally, at work I've come across a lot of cases of landlord's forfeiting commercial leases for non-payment of rent. Signs of the consumer slow-down I guess.

The reality is that if the landlord forfeits the lease, they have to be pretty confident they can re-let it at the same rate, otherwise they face a long void period.

If shop keepers are revolting, it raise questions about pricing power in residential letting. With children staying on at home ever longer, living with the parents could become more the norm. That would remove the social stigma, something that has already been tempered by the high price of starter homes. If that happens the long hoped for residentail letting rate pick-up may prove disappointing.

Good point. I thinks this is already happening.