House Price Crash Forum
dpmiller83

Public Sector Pay Freeze

So... A good friend of mine in his late twenties has in the past two years been promoted up the ranks into a 'senior management role' at a London secondary school. Its clear he's done very well at climbing the ladder having only been a teacher for a little over two years he now earns £50k+. This week he tells me he has been offered his second pay rise of the year - this one brought forward so that it could be implemented before the impending pay freeze.

Does this bringing forward of the rise not defeat the object...? He openly gloats "recession, what recession? I haven't seen it" and it looks like this good fortune may continue.. How common is this going to be throughout the public sector - is this a one off or will this be one of many more examples of public sector financial mismanagement to come...?

To give him credit he works s a lot of hours, and I don't want to take that away from him. It just seems that the parallels to experience in my industry (consultant engineer) and much of the private sector are just staggering. I have struggled to get a pay rise in the last 2-3 years and many of my peer group at other firms have been made redundant or taken pay cuts.

As a link to house prices... he did just tie himself up with £300k + mortgage on a two bed flat earlier this year... :ph34r:

So... A good friend of mine in his late twenties has in the past two years been promoted up the ranks into a 'senior management role' at a London secondary school. Its clear he's done very well at climbing the ladder having only been a teacher for a little over two years he now earns £50k+. This week he tells me he has been offered his second pay rise of the year - this one brought forward so that it could be implemented before the impending pay freeze.

2 years experience and already on over £50k in the public service.

Outrageous!

Does this bringing forward of the rise not defeat the object...? He openly gloats "recession, what recession? I haven't seen it" and it looks like this good fortune may continue.. How common is this going to be throughout the public sector - is this a one off or will this be one of many more examples of public sector financial mismanagement to come...?

To give him credit he works s a lot of hours, and I don't want to take that away from him. It just seems that the parallels to experience in my industry (consultant engineer) and much of the private sector are just staggering. I have struggled to get a pay rise in the last 2-3 years and many of my peer group at other firms have been made redundant or taken pay cuts.

As a link to house prices... he did just tie himself up with £300k + mortgage on a two bed flat earlier this year... :ph34r:

Just spunked over 300k on a 2 bed flat? Sounds like he has as much common sense as most teachers I know.

Guest sillybear2

This is normal, earlier this year just as they adjusted the allowances for those on >£100k and introduced the 50% rate, the NHS upped its pay to senior people to ensure they're not disadvantaged.

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/821244-senior-nhs-managers-pay-rise-is-more-than-double-that-of-nurses

That's the logic of the public sector, they're always calling for tax rises in order to "share the pain" because it's "fair" but they then award themselves a big pay rise so it doesn't cut into their own income.

As a link to house prices... he did just tie himself up with £300k + mortgage on a two bed flat earlier this year... ph34r.gif

ah well - there was me thinking he'd made it in life

Either you are lying to us or he is lying to you. "Senior management"? He wouldn't even be off probation after 2 years :rolleyes: Schools can't "offer pay rises" or "move them forward" either unless its a 100% private school and even then.... Utter tripe. Interesting how gullible some people are wrt these little stories. This simply isn't how the much maligned system works, you are talking about things vastly beyond the ability of a school or even an LEA to implement. Next we'll hear they bought him a spaceship and sent on a paid holiday to the moon!

Edited by Cogs

Mmmm yes. 1st year teaching is probation, second year you start as a dogsbody. Some teachers have told me they have 2 years probation, and even then they have to reinterview to stay in the same job! Chances of being promoted to head of department at some point in time (I take it this is what a "senior management" role is) is probably very slim these days, what with the incumbents not retiring nor dying.

He is probably on 23k with a 150k+ mortgage, big deposit from parents. Or thereabouts. :ph34r:

He's pulling your pisser. Ten years as a senior university lecturer, and I didn't earn 50K.

Either you are lying to us or he is lying to you. "Senior management"? He wouldn't even be off probation after 2 years :rolleyes: Schools can't "offer pay rises" or "move them forward" either unless its a 100% private school and even then.... Utter tripe. Interesting how gullible some people are wrt these little stories. This simply isn't how the much maligned system works, you are talking about things vastly beyond the ability of a school or even an LEA to implement. Next we'll hear they bought him a spaceship and sent on a paid holiday to the moon!

+1

If Disney need any more fairy stories having run through the Hans Christian Andersen canon they need only visit this site and read some of the threads.

Edited by realcrookswearsuits

Either you are lying to us or he is lying to you. "Senior management"? He wouldn't even be off probation after 2 years  :rolleyes: Schools can't "offer pay rises" or "move them forward" either unless its a 100% private school and even then....  Utter tripe. Interesting how gullible some people are wrt these little stories. This simply isn't how the much maligned system works, you are talking about things vastly beyond the ability of a school or even an LEA to implement. Next we'll hear they bought him a spaceship and sent on a paid holiday to the moon!

I can't argue with your disbelief, but in all honesty I have to say it appears to be true. As fortune of the schools circumstance (teacher leaving) the journey was Head of department after 1year, leadership pay scale (correct terminology?) shortly after and an assistant head teacher title now. (maybe this promotion was brought forward?). It's an inner city Local Authority London school.

I've been amazed at the progress. Maybe he is just really good...?

Edit for above mistake - it's a 3 bed flat.

Either you are lying to us or he is lying to you. "Senior management"? He wouldn't even be off probation after 2 years  :rolleyes: Schools can't "offer pay rises" or "move them forward" either unless its a 100% private school and even then....

You might speak with confidence, but evidence would suggest that you are definately wrong there. Sounds like it's not as structured as you think.

Amazing how gullible some people can be...

(appologies for spelling errors)

I can't argue with your disbelief, but in all honesty I have to say it appears to be true.  As fortune of the schools circumstance (teacher leaving) the journey was Head of department after 1year, leadership pay scale (correct terminology?) shortly after and an assistant head teacher title now. (maybe this promotion was brought forward?). It's an inner city Local Authority London school.

I've been amazed at the progress. Maybe he is just really good...?

Edit for above mistake - it's a 3 bed flat.

Oh OK, it was a pay rise a few posts ago. Its all BS though.

Whether or not this story is true I think it is fair to say it is not the norm. my sister has been (very ably) teaching for ten years now and her salary has not yet topped £30k. It is very convenient for the current political agenda to bash public sector workers - and this was not helped by the previous administrations policy of expanding the public sector to minimise unemployment - a policy I don't agree with as there is nothing "value added" in doing so, it would have been much better if the Labour Administration had done more to foster real jobs, making stuff - ie. manufacturing. it is unfair however to criticise teachers - who mainly work unholy hours for inadequate pay, teaching little horrors like my offspring. Give them a break - there are other, more deserving targets.

You might speak with confidence, but evidence would suggest that you are definately wrong there. Sounds like it's not as structured as you think.

Amazing how gullible some people can be...

(appologies for spelling errors)

Eh? What evidence? I suggest you get your chip off your shoulder. Teachers in general do not become assistant heads after two years of teaching, suggest you find evidence to back this up as being prevalent. If this person has attained this position then it would suggest a real hell hole of a school.

2 years experience and already on over £50k in the public service.

Outrageous!

Damned outrageous.

I'm in the public sector and it took me about 15 years before I earned £50k+ despite being considered a 'young thruster(*)' amongst my peers and I have to be prepared to lay down my life in other countries for doing so.

So as you can see the disparity is not as clear as just public vs private, but within each sector you will always find those that work for it and those who appear not to.

(*used in this context as someone who is climbing the ladder quicker than their peers as opposed to anything to do with sexual perversion - I keep that for my spare time! )

Guest absolutezero

I call BS on this one.

There is no pay freeze for teachers this year.

Teachers are getting their 2.3 percent rise from September 2010. Two year freeze for Sept 2011/12.

Guest absolutezero

Mmmm yes. 1st year teaching is probation, second year you start as a dogsbody. Some teachers have told me they have 2 years probation, and even then they have to reinterview to stay in the same job! Chances of being promoted to head of department at some point in time (I take it this is what a "senior management" role is) is probably very slim these days, what with the incumbents not retiring nor dying.

He is probably on 23k with a 150k+ mortgage, big deposit from parents. Or thereabouts. :ph34r:

Indeed. The chances of being senior management without going through the ranks is very unlikely.

Unless he works in an academy (which is a privatised state school) in which case they can do pretty much what they want - including promoting people wet behind the ears using public cash. Isn't the private sector wonderful?

Edit:

You said is was a local authority school and not an academy. Definitely a load of old balls.

Edited by absolutezero

Indeed. The chances of being senior management without going through the ranks is very unlikely.

Unless he works in an academy (which is a privatised state school) in which case they can do pretty much what they want - including promoting people wet behind the ears using public cash. Isn't the private sector wonderful?

Edit:

You said is was a local authority school and not an academy. Definitely a load of old balls.

My wifes school has done something similar with both an assistant head and a 'school manager' - who basically runs the joint but is not nor ever has been a teacher. Assistant head has a couple of years teaching but thats it. Just knows how to use a computer a little better than the others apparently...

I appreciate your comments on here.

The salary is by the by, what I was really most interested in is how he described an increase in pay (in whatever form that took, pay grade jump, promotion whatever) advanced to avoid the impending belt tightning/freeze.

I don't know the school management system, so interesting to get some insight into that. Also, just to make it clear, this wasn't a witch hunt on teachers, I appreciate that many work way too hard for way too little - this case was always an extreme I could never get my head around.

Edited by dpmiller83

I appreciate your comments on here.

The salary is by the by, what I was really most interested in is how he described an increase in pay (in whatever form that took, pay grade jump, promotion whatever) advanced to avoid the impending belt tightning/freeze.

I don't know the school management system, so interesting to get some insight into that. Also, just to make it clear, this wasn't a witch hunt on teachers, I appreciate that many work way too hard for way too little - this case was always an extreme I could never get my head around.

I have friends who are teachers and am reasonably confident your mate is talking ********.

People can be on stupid wages in the public sector, but they do have to stick around. I haven't heard of any stratospheric rises like that.

stepfathers a teacher, going from his experience (which is all I have to go on as I am not a teacher) this sounds quite iffy.

The school would have to have had a catestrophic collapse in teaching staff for a newbie to gain promotion so fast, and be in a hellhole area that no other teacher with much more direct experience wants to move into.

Or they good be genuienly amazing, and willing to take a job no one else wants to do in an area no one wants to work in with kids no one wants to teach. In which case fair play, they deserve that wage. It is what the private sector would do.

What it is not is a symptom of public sector wage rises across the board, it's just a very odd individual scenario.

Edited by digoutabook