House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Noodle

Exceedingly Dull Thread About Vans

Guest Noodle

*IF YOU'VE NO INTEREST IN DULL LITTLE WHITE VANS CLICK THE <<BACK BUTTON QUICK*

Sooooo . . . should Noodle return from this sweaty dusty miserable hell hole . . . one requires a van. Should have had a van before, that old Xantia was a star but I'll never get away from muddy boots and hivis vests, it's the nature of the beast, it is what it is.

Anyway, looked at Citroen Berlingo and Renault Kangoo . . . seem a tad flimsy, some questionable reviews too.

Came across this thing, which I remember from before and thought it a good balance for size and weight and wotnot. Also looks the part and I can put a flashing orange light on the roof.

2004%20FORD%20TRANSIT%20CONNECT%20SWB%20LPG%20DUAL%20FUEL.jpg

A Ford Transit Connect. 1.8 TD.

Anyone have experience of these devices? Any good?

Older (03/04) very low mileage (20-50k) ones for £2,500 to £4,000 (which is way over my usual tight as a ducks **** budget of a grand, but it appears times have changed in the used vehicle world of the UK).

driven a newish astravan, which was wicked. Felt like a normal car to drive, it did a 150 tho in 2 or 3 years and was still going strong

vauxhall-astravan.jpg

Guest Noodle

driven a newish astravan, which was wicked. Felt like a normal car to drive, it did a 150 tho in 2 or 3 years and was still going strong

vauxhall-astravan.jpg

Had one in 08. 1.3TDI thing, 3000rpm, 6th gear, flat m-way = 100mph. Amazing.

I'm pretty slow these days and I like the look of the Connect, it says 'very dull but useful little man'. Clients like that.

Had one in 08. 1.3TDI thing, 3000rpm, 6th gear, flat m-way = 100mph. Amazing.

I'm pretty slow these days and I like the look of the Connect, it says 'very dull but useful little man'. Clients like that.

ours was a 2.2? It was nifty, even fully loaded :) Problem with an Astra van is you cant fit big stuff into the bigger boring vans are more useful and sensible the only downside is it is less common, the astravan is just a car with no back seats which is a more common car and more fixable/serviceable, also as it is more of a car you can use is as your normal car, take it into town park it in normal car parks with less people thinking Hmm van lets break in and see what is inside it....

Guest Noodle

Don't really rate Connects.

Corsa Combo is solid.

Do the Connects break easily? Bad on fuel?

Combos can be had quite cheap too.

Now, whilst your there . . . insurance for private use. Is it still a bit of a bugger to get for said van?

Guest Noodle

ours was a 2.2?  It was nifty, even fully loaded :)  Problem with an Astra van is you cant fit big stuff into the bigger boring vans are more useful and sensible the only downside is it is less common, the astravan is just a car with no back seats which is a more common car and more fixable/serviceable, also as it is more of a car you can use is as your normal car, take it into town park it in normal car parks with less people thinking Hmm van lets break in and see what is inside it....

Bulkheads and cages . . . essential.

Now, whilst your there . . . insurance for private use. Is it still a bit of a bugger to get for said van?

I had a few problems with certain companies years ago. I just go to Swintons now and let them sort it out - (that's for a '94 Astravan, but it's private and business use). There's never been a problem yet.

As for newer vans, I've heard good things about Astravans, and not-so-good things about Transits.

A mate runs a Peugeot Partner, which is about the same shape as a Transit, I think. From what he says, he just drives it and drives it - nothing else.

Sooooo . . . should Noodle return from this sweaty dusty miserable hell hole . . . one requires a van. Should have had a van before, that old Xantia was a star but I'll never get away from muddy boots and hivis vests, it's the nature of the beast, it is what it is.

Anyway, looked at Citroen Berlingo and Renault Kangoo . . . seem a tad flimsy, some questionable reviews too.

Came across this thing, which I remember from before and thought it a good balance for size and weight and wotnot. Also looks the part and I can put a flashing orange light on the roof.

Older (03/04) very low mileage (20-50k) ones for £2,500 to £4,000 (which is way over my usual tight as a ducks **** budget of a grand, but it appears times have changed in the used vehicle world of the UK).

citroen-h-van1.jpg

Guest Noodle

citroen-h-van1.jpg

That's actually very cool.

Looking at the little Corsa car vans. These things do close to 80 mpg!!! That's the same a child's tricycle.

Hmmmm . . . save the wallet planet and all that.

Guest Noodle

I had a few problems with certain companies years ago. I just go to Swintons now and let them sort it out - (that's for a '94 Astravan, but it's private and business use). There's never been a problem yet.

As for newer vans, I've heard good things about Astravans, and not-so-good things about Transits.

A mate runs a Peugeot Partner, which is about the same shape as a Transit, I think. From what he says, he just drives it and drives it - nothing else.

Is the premium lots more than a car? I remember years ago getting a quote of £300 for a car then over £1000 for a similar sized van.

Cheers.

That's our works runabout.

Does everything well. I've driven it across 4 counties with no complaints. Handles better than my 2.2 Vectra in snow.

Guest Noodle

That's our works runabout.

Does everything well. I've driven it across 4 counties with no complaints. Handles better than my 2.2 Vectra in snow.

What's the mpg like? Over 50 on a run fine, although that little normal Corsa 1.3 CDTi van is screaming buy me at 76 mpg extra-urban.

Why have anything bigger than a Corsa if it does such stonking mpg?

We have a Transit Connect LWB High Top diesel as our work van.

Used every weekday, 50 miles around Leeds (which must have the most appallingly maintained roads in Europe) all we ever have do is keep it clean, check the tyre pressures and oil level once a week (it doesn't use any oil) and once a year it gets a very basic overhaul at the Council depot. We have had it 5 years and the only problem has been a nail in a tyre, an indicator bulb and a new wing mirror after it got clipped by a lorry.

I up specified it when we got it so it has aircon and an adjustable seat, both major omissions I think from the original spec so watch for that as the screen is huge. I also put in the official metal bulkhead and wooden load liner. Ours also has a strange flat spot changing up from first to second that causes a jerk, once you get used to it you learn to blip the throttle but it is a bit irritating, apart from that it is a good drive, smooth and stable. Not checked the fuel economy as we don't pay for it directly, but, I can if you are really interested find out Noodle.

My BIL also has one and loves it, he drives all over the South of England and reports no real issues with reliability either. I think they are too expensive new (costs us £75 pw on lease) but I think it would make a decent second-hand buy, it has a decent load bay, no rust, no problems with the doors, alarm and electrics that plagued our previous Citroen Dispatch.

Guest Noodle

We have a Transit Connect LWB High Top diesel as our work van.

Used every weekday, 50 miles around Leeds (which must have the most appallingly maintained roads in Europe) all we ever have do is keep it clean, check the tyre pressures and oil level once a week (it doesn't use any oil) and once a year it gets a very basic overhaul at the Council depot. We have had it 5 years and the only problem has been a nail in a tyre, an indicator bulb and a new wing mirror after it got clipped by a lorry.

I up specified it when we got it so it has aircon and an adjustable seat, both major omissions I think from the original spec so watch for that as the screen is huge. I also put in the official metal bulkhead and wooden load liner. Ours also has a strange flat spot changing up from first to second that causes a jerk, once you get used to it you learn to blip the throttle but it is a bit irritating, apart from that it is a good drive, smooth and stable. Not checked the fuel economy as we don't pay for it directly, but, I can if you are really interested find out Noodle.

My BIL also has one and loves it, he drives all over the South of England and reports no real issues with reliability either. I think they are too expensive new (costs us £75 pw on lease) but I think it would make a decent second-hand buy, it has a decent load bay, no rust, no problems with the doors, alarm and electrics that plagued our previous Citroen Dispatch.

I'll have look too, will be interesting to see how thirsty it is.

Found a perfect condition 04, SWB/low roof with 16k on it for £4k inc. VAT from a main Ford dealer.

Also looks the part and I can put a flashing orange light on the roof.

I have grave concerns this may look very pikey. :unsure:

Guest Noodle

I have grave concerns this may look very pikey. :unsure:

Pikeys broke into site one night, this was Milton Keynes, nicked all the beacons off all the plant. I hid in my bunkerbin, door locked, didn't make a move.

Ever had to deal with 'em? :ph34r:

Chavs! Bad! Abuse and rocks hurled on a daily basis, Mile End was bad for this. The best was when a bullet came sailing through the back window of the Land Rover as we're driving across site. Southampton.

That's actually very cool.

Looking at the little Corsa car vans. These things do close to 80 mpg!!! That's the same a child's tricycle.

Hmmmm . . . save the wallet planet and all that.

I drive a fleet Corsavan. No complaints so far. It's a flashy looking vehicle, that's for sure.

Guest Noodle

There's a few options here. If I can get all the cack I cart round in the back of a little Corsa 1.3, at 76mpg and rising fuel costs . . .

But I like Citroens . . .

And that Connect looks right, big too . . .

Dunno.

Pikeys broke into site one night, this was Milton Keynes, nicked all the beacons off all the plant. I hid in my bunkerbin, door locked, didn't make a move.

Ever had to deal with 'em? :ph34r:

My company has had some real problems with them over the years. To such an extent there are sites I'm not allowed to visit without asking permission beforehand from higher up. Some of our guys have been outnumbered and surrounded. Personally I've never had a problem, and always get on very well with them. But they live by different rules to most folk, and you have to be aware of that IMO. Generally, the dangerous dogs they deliberately let roam around are the biggest concern.

Subaru Legacy, put the back seats down - huge storage area.

Usually have towbars, and roof-rack thingies on the top.

As recommended by The Johnson Family, (Cheltenham-based Gypsy burglars to the gentry - http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/aug/07/ukcrime1 ). They always stole them to do their jobs. Four-wheel drive, pleasant on long journeys and not too thirsty. And,most importantly, decent models are available for less than the magic £1,000 mark.