House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RDW

Pensioners Could Be Forced To Move To Help Free Up Large Council Homes

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/7857396/Pensioners-could-be-forced-to-move-to-help-free-up-large-council-homes.html

Pensioners could be forced to move out of their large council homes to free them up for families as the coalition Government was yesterday accused of going further than Margaret Thatcher in its shake up of welfare.

Iain Duncan Smith, the Work and Pensions Secretary, said there are "tons of elderly people" living in homes they cannot run as he announced plans to tackle under-occupancy in large council properties.

It came as he unveiled proposals to relocate the unemployed to areas where there are jobs in an echo of the then Tory minister Norman Tebbit's famous call in 1981 for the jobless to "get on your bike".

Guest happy?

http://www.telegraph...ncil-homes.html

Pensioners could be forced to move out of their large council homes to free them up for families as the coalition Government was yesterday accused of going further than Margaret Thatcher in its shake up of welfare.

Iain Duncan Smith, the Work and Pensions Secretary, said there are "tons of elderly people" living in homes they cannot run as he announced plans to tackle under-occupancy in large council properties.

It came as he unveiled proposals to relocate the unemployed to areas where there are jobs in an echo of the then Tory minister Norman Tebbit's famous call in 1981 for the jobless to "get on your bike".

I'm sure IDS can weed-out the undeserving poor for us.

Here's a tip for you Ian:-

Wait 10 years and they'll mostly be dead.

Here's a tip for you Ian:-

Wait 10 years and they'll mostly be dead.

If you are happy to watch your kids grow up while you're waiting for a council house, that's very good of you, but I suspect many on the waiting list for a 3 bed or 4 bed house would rather have a larger home now, and the old dears can move out into a flat or sheltered accommodation.

Totally agree,

Take this place for example, only one benefit scrounging old couple live there and they are both foreign to boot!

We could shoehorn loads of indentured peasants in that place.

31_02_1---Buckingham-Palace--London--United-Kingdom_web.jpg

If you are happy to watch your kids grow up while you're waiting for a council house, that's very good of you, but I suspect many on the waiting list for a 3 bed or 4 bed house would rather have a larger home now, and the old dears can move out into a flat or sheltered accommodation.

Resettlement programs tends to end rather badly often involving aerial bombarments and stuff.

I thought this was already the case?

Say you have a 4-bed council house and the kids eventually move out. Pretty sure that you have to eventually, under existing laws. Is this not the case?

Say you have a 4-bed council house and the kids eventually move out. Pretty sure that you have to eventually, under existing laws. Is this not the case?

Don't you just let out the extra rooms to pay for more fags & boose.

Don't think so. I think they offer financial incentives for people to downsize though.

I can see the Daily Mail headlines now...

"World war 2 vet turfed out to make room for Taleban asylum seeker and his 2 wives and 6 kids!"

The blood pressure is rising already around the nation!