House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest X-QUORK

Ever Nearly Been Killed?

Guest X-QUORK

I was in the front left seat of a helicopter when the pilot lost visual reference in cloud. A couple of other factors led to him pretty much losing control of the aircraft and we fell about 1000' (we'd only been flying at 2000') before he gained control and climbed us back above the cloud for a radar approach to our destination. At the time I took it in my stride and even helped out by calling altitude as we went down, also looking for signs of the ground as we were over some quite big German hills. When we landed the pilot was more shaken than I was and commented that he'd f**ked up badly and would appreciate it if I'd keep quiet about the incident.

He went on to fill out an anonymous incident report and later became an instructor, during which time he taught his students about the incident and how to recover from it.

I think many of us have nearly been killed but never realised it.

I think once I tried to walk across a side street from Oxford Street. Looked one way and failed to look the other and stepped back at the last moment. Guy's expression next to me was classic.

What about illness? I'm sure many people have nearly been killed by illness like heart attack, stroke, cancer.

Guest X-QUORK

I think many of us have nearly been killed but never realised it.

Yeah yeah, no need to state the obvious. We want the decent stories, not tales of nearly eating saturated fat by accident.

I was on a trekking holiday in Nepal a few years ago with three friends. One of them was less fit than the rest and it fell to me to hang back with him as the others forged ahead, this was fine as it gave me more time to admire the stunning views. We were heading towards the Annapurna base camp, which would be our last stop for the day and also the highest we would be going (4234m). When you get up that high, the weather can close in without warning, especially towards the end of the afternoon. So my mate and I were in clear skies one minute, the next we were in 2metre visibility. The path then seemed to disappear, this was because of a large avalanche field, a very fresh one, snow and ice boulders the size of 4x4s piled way above our heads. It was 4pm by this point and too far to go back, so in dense fog -10C temps we very gingerly picked our way through this field keeping our voices very low for fear of causing any more snow to come tumbling down the mountain. The Avalanche field was maybe only 200m across but it took us 90 mins to get across, luckily half way across the fog thinned a little and we could see the lights of the lodge up ahead so we had something to aim at. We got across finally and, very relieved sat down for a stiff Nepalese whisky and hot water. A week later two people were killed on that same Avalanche field. Not really near death, but I have never been in such fear for my life before, that said I felt incredibly elated afterwards, one of the best legal highs I have ever had.

Guest Noodle

Yeah yeah, no need to state the obvious. We want the decent stories, not tales of nearly eating saturated fat by accident.

On nearly all flights with the old man I felt closer to God. He was renowned as the worst private pilot in Britain at the time.

Nearly ploughed into a herd of cattle coming into what he thought was Swansea field one time, rather than just a field in Swansea. Many missed approaches and go arounds until we were close to running out of fuel. Lost once somewhere over Southern Britain a 747 climbed out of the clouds about two miles directly ahead. Bounced violently down numerous strips both hardstanding and grass. Lot's of navigation and radio telephony confusion you could put into a Leslie Nielson script.

Guest Skinty

When you get up that high, the weather can close in without warning, especially towards the end of the afternoon. So my mate and I were in clear skies one minute, the next we were in 2metre visibility.

Can't say for sure why the weather closed in on you, but sometimes it's because the air temperature is hovering around the dew point has been reached. I've read of one report by a paraglider who took off and was soaring a ridge when over a matter of seconds cloud formed below him and he couldn't see the ground anymore. He carried on soaring not know how he was going to land when the cloud dispersed enough for him to see the ground before reforming.

It always seems to be electricity that has been the cause of me being close to death. The first time was when I was a teenager and was playing the elecitr guitar in my bedroom. I plugged in an old valve amp. I started playing again waiting for the sound of the guitar to start coming through the amp. I realised that I couldn't move and was trying to figure out why. I then realised that I was slowly standing up but my knees were still bent and I still couldn't move. I then realised that I was being electrocuted!

I started to think about the probability of my mother, downstairs, coming into my bedroom in the next oh, twenty minutes, and realised that it was going to be very unlikely indeed. My last thoughts were that I couldn't die now as I still had so much to do with my life. That was just before I fell backwards and my head crashed into the corner of a shelf stuck to the wall. Next instance I was on my back with a hundred cassettes on me and a live electric guitar still buzzing. I had blisters on both hands where I had been holding the guitar strings. In hindsight I realise now that it happened extremely quickly but time just seemed to slow down to make it seem like about twenty seconds.

Second time, I don't know how close we were to death as we were both on a mountain top and a thunder storm had passed by. But the photos revealed that my long hair was standing on end like a strike was imminent. It looked like I had a huge afro.

On nearly all flights with the old man I felt closer to God. He was renowned as the worst private pilot in Britain at the time.

Nearly ploughed into a herd of cattle coming into what he thought was Swansea field one time, rather than just a field in Swansea.

Better than trying to land on the Vetch Field.

While climbing a mountain in Scotland a few years back the weather closed in and I couldn't see worth a fart, stupidly rather than wait it out I decided to keep walking down an incline that became steeper and steeper. Eventually I slipped, fell on my **** and bounced down the wet grass and rock for about ten metres before colliding with a medium sized boulder, stomach first which knocked the wind out of me and hurt just a tad. As I lay there moaning and feeling generally sorry for myself the clouds broke exposing my current situation which was me half wrapped around a boulder and one leg hanging over a precipice that must have been a sheer drop of around 200 feet. If that boulder hadn't been there, I wouldn't be here.

The climb back up from there was absolutely terrifying took hours and I think I lost about a pint of urine in the process.

Guest UK Debt Slave

1. Nearly electrocuted by 30A bacause the 'electrician' I was working with had isolated the wrong supply. I still don't quite understand how I didn't get fried

2. Very nearly knocked down by a fast driver using a mobile phone while I was on a zebra crossing

Thrilling huh!

I was in the front left seat of a helicopter when the pilot lost visual reference in cloud. A couple of other factors led to him pretty much losing control of the aircraft and we fell about 1000' (we'd only been flying at 2000') before he gained control and climbed us back above the cloud for a radar approach to our destination. At the time I took it in my stride and even helped out by calling altitude as we went down, also looking for signs of the ground as we were over some quite big German hills. When we landed the pilot was more shaken than I was and commented that he'd f**ked up badly and would appreciate it if I'd keep quiet about the incident.

He went on to fill out an anonymous incident report and later became an instructor, during which time he taught his students about the incident and how to recover from it.

You drum it into them from ab initio, "If you fly into a cloud, you will die", and just before they get their licence, you take them into a (carefully selected) small cloud to scare the life out of them, but still they do it and sometimes get away with it.

I'm not sure which idiot thought it would be a good idea to put the mezzanine area gate right above the production office door :angry:

I was just about to walk out of the door as I saw a fork lift driver reverse away from the mezzanine fast, something they normally did when they had been putting somthing back up. What I didn't realise was that he was trying to take a pallet down, it had got caught on the edge, and he thought pulling away quick might free it. :unsure:

It did, but it also came completely free of the forks and landed on the floor about four inches from the end of my feet. :blink:

Think the closest I got was in the 1990s, Afghan civil war spilling over into the Pakistani border regions. Mind you, so many people had an AK that it was hard to tell who was on which side...

Loads of times as a child, I remember losing the room key so instead of going to reception I climbed over the outside of the partitioned balcony and unlocked the room that way.

Or when a car skidded out of control from a blow out or something, it knocked me over brushing my side I got up unhurt.

A gang at the end of the 1990s I had upset badly, they came back in much larger numbers I got dragged into the furball and was beaten nearly to death. I woke up in hospital a few days later. I lost faith in the cops then when the cops were called but prefered that I be beaten to death than come help. (It hurts when it gets cold these days from the injuries sustained from this)

Early 00s I was an idiot The Temple in Bolton used to be a Club filled with Chinese gangsters attempted to take the bosses daughter home for some lovin' I was faced with a large number of gangsters holding guns at me. Lau saved me that day as he knows the boss and told him I was just a stupid kid... that was quite funny actually.

My best one is:

2007 after the high of tearing up france on the CBer I took a corner way too fast, think of a number bigger than 99 + the speed limit. Bike tank slapped badly I panicked it bucked me off at very high speed , head met the ground first and slowed down bike flew above me nearly taking my head off. I kept on cartwheeling into an embankment where I caught something started to spin cartwheeling again. I got up and was COMPLETELY unhurt bar a shoulder ache as the uber armour I was wearing absorbed it all. 6 inches to the right in tumbling through the air I would have caught a tree which would have torn my head off. I then rode home on the broken bike with a broken swing arm crushed exhaust and got my other bike.

Azerbaijan in a town called Ganja, I was lost and looking for somewhere to stay asked for directions, and they pushed me off my bike and started kicking me. I kept trying to get up and reach for my hammer, after being kept down about 4 times I was just rolling around trying to protect myself, those kiddies were really putting the boot in.

If a cop didn't come I'd be dead, of course the cop in Azerbaijan then stole my passport and my remaining equipment. This is why I utterly loathe Azerbaijan, if I could I would quite happily go door to door with a hand gun and shoot everybody there as they were so utterly horrible to me and the rest of the wing that went through Azerbaijan.

A few weeks later in Russia, I went over a huge metal burr in the road it ripped my front tyre to bits I had no control locking left right left right I narrowly avoided a lorry before finally being bucked off into a field and my head again narrowly missed a big steel spike thing.

I took my girlfriend out for her birthday one November to Birmingham. We went to the theatre and then went for a chinese meal had a great time.

The next day on the news there was footage of a car bomb exploding at a junction we had crossed.

At my local pub people pin tickets of events they have attended on the walls over the years there were thousands, but pride of place went to World trade center 10th september 2000 the day before it was attacked.

Spinney

Guest Skinty

You drum it into them from ab initio, "If you fly into a cloud, you will die", and just before they get their licence, you take them into a (carefully selected) small cloud to scare the life out of them, but still they do it and sometimes get away with it.

Reminds me of a cross country weekend when I was last paragliding (I'm planning to take it up again this summer). The goal was to fly as far as possible but the wind just wasn't working. Then after about a couple of hours para-waiting we saw a layer of cloud spill over into the glen and work it's way towards us at our height. Some people took off and bottomed out immediately. I waited until the last possible moment when the wind picked up but before the cloud reduced visibility and made it quite far, but still bottomed out. When we all landed it turned out that plenty of people had got caught in the clouds and were calling out to each to try and warn of their position! They could hear others nearby but when you fly through a cloud you don't even know if you're going in a straight direction.

My only real highs have been from a few times when I have really thought that things could turn seriously bad after paragliding. Like when I very nearly got blown over the back of the hill but ended up being dragged over the ground with my fingers tangled in the lines.

Another time was when I first flew the hills local to me. We had been waiting for a while and I was the first to get some lift and to fly off. I got to about 1,000 feet up and I looked up to see the canopy go soft and collapse in front of my eyes like a bag of washing. I had hit some bad air (a gust front, a thermal and convergence all in one that sucked me into the worst area and kept me there). My canopy kept collapsing again as soon as I could recover it and I started to spiral and swing my way down before managing to get out and hitting the mother of all thermals. So up I went again but by this time I was wanted to get down. So I started doing big-ears, which is when you deliberately pull in the wing tips to reduce your lift. Unfortunately I kept going up so I just pulled more and more. I don't know how big my big ears were in the end but they were commented on!

I wasn't close to death, not like some other people have been, but I remember thinking it could be fun if I had a reserve parachute fitted. It did kill my confidence for a quite a while though because I wasn't able to get back out again and regain it. It did stop everyone else from flying off that day though. Apparently everyone else jumped on their gliders when I was in the air to stop them getting blown away as well.

Mountain stories are not really fair in this game, the risk is why we do it.

No bragging rights if you haven't:

Fallen down a crevasse

Nearly died of hypothermia

Fallen off

Nearly been wiped out by stonefall or avalanche

Stupidly gone climbing while pissed.

It was being attacked with an axe while I walked down a street which really bothered me, I was only seven.

Nearly had a bad accident as a kid got my foot caught in a chain which was linked to a ferry that ran across the river, my foot nearly got took off as it was heading towards n loop in the ground where the chain was feeding through. Luckily my father kicked my foot out otherwise it would have been a very nasty accident.

Can't say for sure why the weather closed in on you, but sometimes it's because the air temperature is hovering around the dew point has been reached. I've read of one report by a paraglider who took off and was soaring a ridge when over a matter of seconds cloud formed below him and he couldn't see the ground anymore. He carried on soaring not know how he was going to land when the cloud dispersed enough for him to see the ground before reforming.

It always seems to be electricity that has been the cause of me being close to death. The first time was when I was a teenager and was playing the elecitr guitar in my bedroom. I plugged in an old valve amp. I started playing again waiting for the sound of the guitar to start coming through the amp. I realised that I couldn't move and was trying to figure out why. I then realised that I was slowly standing up but my knees were still bent and I still couldn't move. I then realised that I was being electrocuted!

I started to think about the probability of my mother, downstairs, coming into my bedroom in the next oh, twenty minutes, and realised that it was going to be very unlikely indeed. My last thoughts were that I couldn't die now as I still had so much to do with my life. That was just before I fell backwards and my head crashed into the corner of a shelf stuck to the wall. Next instance I was on my back with a hundred cassettes on me and a live electric guitar still buzzing. I had blisters on both hands where I had been holding the guitar strings. In hindsight I realise now that it happened extremely quickly but time just seemed to slow down to make it seem like about twenty seconds.

Second time, I don't know how close we were to death as we were both on a mountain top and a thunder storm had passed by. But the photos revealed that my long hair was standing on end like a strike was imminent. It looked like I had a huge afro.

Very often it's not the electric shock that kills but what happens when you hit your head on the way down etc.

Being barged off the road by a truck in India. The van we were in rolled over several times and me and the sales agent were thrown out the back. We landed in a tangle of arms and legs. Surprisingly no-one was hurt. We pushed the van back onto it's wheels (it was on it's side against a tree). I was crapping myself that the axles had been weakened by this, but we carried on and got to the customer and did the job*. By far the most dangerous thing when you are travelling is the possibility of road accidents.

Almost getting taken out by three phase in china. They had helpfully wired up all three phases, neutral and earth to the same colour, as well as wiring the equipment up wrong.

Nearly skiied of several cliffs.

Went walking in the desert in the States. Didn't take enough water and the path was poorly marked. Gave up the walk half way through and just about managed to make it back. Won't do that again.

* I don't expect to be called a "hero" or "brave" for doing this. I was just doing what I was paid to do.

Missed the IRA bomb in the Arndale centre by about 20 mins.

Wouldn't have necessarily been badly injured but was preferable not to have found out.

14 yrs old

Celtic 1-0 rangers. cup final

got trapped upstairs on a bus with 2 pals

by about 40 bitter basturts

after the game

took a bit of a kicking

but escaped after a few minutes

1st time I ever swam with a shark

didnt come near me but I was frozen with fear

a few times as a fireman

worst time was getting attacked with

bricks bottles and petrol bombs

the night Bobby Sands died

and every other day on these Belgian roads

Azerbaijan in a town called Ganja, I was lost and looking for somewhere to stay asked for directions, and they pushed me off my bike and started kicking me. I kept trying to get up and reach for my hammer, after being kept down about 4 times I was just rolling around trying to protect myself, those kiddies were really putting the boot in.

If a cop didn't come I'd be dead, of course the cop in Azerbaijan then stole my passport and my remaining equipment. This is why I utterly loathe Azerbaijan, if I could I would quite happily go door to door with a hand gun and shoot everybody there as they were so utterly horrible to me

Respect, Ken. You like to get out there, don't you? Take care.