House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AteMoose

What Is The Profit From Glastonbury

"Eavis was similarly relaxed. "It's the first year in 39 years that we didn't make anything out of it," he said, "so it's not bad really is it?""

2008 that was though.

I couldn't even tell you how much a ticket was.

I read that once they've paid off the bands, the police, the 'leccy bill, cleaning out the portaloos etc it makes about £1m, which gets split between Greenpeace, Oxfam and some other charities. It seems to be one of those rare things - a genuine not-for-profit lets-make-people-happy festival.

It all goes to charities does it not ?...if you have never been i recommend it as one of those things you must do before you get too old...i am trying to get her wife to go but the bogs thing is taking some convincing...i first went in 1986....i was blown away...

It all goes to charities does it not ?...if you have never been i recommend it as one of those things you must do before you get too old...i am trying to get her wife to go but the bogs thing is taking some convincing...i first went in 1986....i was blown away...

It didn't look very interesting on TV and the line-up looked appalling. Florence and the Machine doing her karaoke wailing? No thanks, Stevie Wonder, Ditzy Rascal? ffs. I'd rather go and watch my local cover band play a few songs I'm likely to enjoy in the local boozer. Cleaner bogs too :D

It didn't look very interesting on TV and the line-up looked appalling. Florence and the Machine doing her karaoke wailing? No thanks, Stevie Wonder, Ditzy Rascal? ffs. I'd rather go and watch my local cover band play a few songs I'm likely to enjoy in the local boozer. Cleaner bogs too :D

I did turn over and catch Pet Shop Boys which was class. More or less their greatest hits.

That Florence bird is painful on the ears.

Just back from it today.

It is much more than just the big music acts (although they are usually my highlights). There really is a free-fun-loving atmosphere to the whole festival, and it is a vast festival. So much so that you could immerse yourself in whatever takes your fancy with regards to the performing arts. You could spend the entire festival not seeing any live music, for example. Tough to explain, and I'm tired. But seriously, do go just the once to see if you like it.

Edit: The BBC highlights probably touch about 10% of the music on offer. And that's just the music, there's lots lots lots more going on.

There are probably some good illegal festivals still going, they charge entry and provide the most basic facilities and clear up costs to avoid attention but

everything else is traders selling food and alcohol without a licence who pay to get on site. The Music and entertainment is paid suprisingly well.

Security is lax and sporadic, I used to go to some in Wales and there are still small ones going, the police would usually do nothing but

stop cars and search and test the driver. Only problem was criminals are the only people who want to take the risk so it's probably a bad way to

fund them.

What about T in the Park, has anyone been? I've been quite a few times in the past 5/6 years and its been fantastic every time.

I think its more music focused than Glastonbury, although there are other aspects to keep you happy when you need a break.

I've never been to Glastonbury, but definately fancy going at some point.

Have to agree with Cash with Nowhere to Go .

Just back from my 3rd Glasto . ( Have also been to about 6/7 T in The Parks as well as to Benicassim in Spain . )

Glasto is miles and miles ahead of the other festivals , and this years Glastonbury was just incredible. one of the best few days of my life.

the million£ profit does sound about right and goes to charity.

regardless of age you should give a go if you never have

im still buzzing

the music is only a part of the experience

saw great performances from stevie wonder , pet shop boys , the xx , temper trap , flaming lips , snoop dogg , vampire weekend , two door cinema club , willie nelson and numerous others....

just superb

Have to agree with Cash with Nowhere to Go .

Just back from my 3rd Glasto . ( Have also been to about 6/7 T in The Parks as well as to Benicassim in Spain . )

Glasto is miles and miles ahead of the other festivals , and this years Glastonbury was just incredible. one of the best few days of my life.

the million£ profit does sound about right and goes to charity.

regardless of age you should give a go if you never have

im still buzzing

the music is only a part of the experience

saw great performances from stevie wonder , pet shop boys , the xx , temper trap , flaming lips , snoop dogg , vampire weekend , two door cinema club , willie nelson and numerous others....

just superb

Didn't see any of those (or though would have like to with a few) and still had a great time watching other bands and acts and the general atmosphere, until you've been there I don't think the scale and breadth of what is there is really appreciated.

Saw these just in passing......

If there's any chance of U2 appearing next year instead of this one, I hope to be there. I know several people who went this year and they said it was wonderful (no pun intended). But the weather was sunshine throughout, that must have made a huge difference.

If glasto gives all its profits to charity, why dont they turn Glastonbury into a charity with a charity number? It would have tax advantages? Why would you choose not to run it as an official charity?

I too have just got back after having a fantastic weekend.

But funny someone should mention the profit. 5 years ago we hired a campervan and arrived at 4 p.m on the Wednesday afternoon with about a 5 minute walk to gate c...

This time we arrived at 1 on p.m on Wednesday and had to park the caravan 20 minutes away from gate c. Clearly taking campervans and caravans to the festival has taken off in a big way these past 5 years.

We did a count of the vans in our field (E17). Roughly (and it was rough - counting the rows and the average for each row) 700 vans. At £75 per vehicle. Ours was not the biggest field by any stretch (the one next to ours was more than twice as big). At least 10 fields, probably more actually.

When you start to tot it up the figures gets rather mind boggling. Just for parking a caravan in a field.

Glastonbury = cash cow.

I wish they'd funnel some of the money into emptying the litter barrel things on site more regularly. For a festival that claims to be green, litter was a big problem.

I too have just got back after having a fantastic weekend.

But funny someone should mention the profit. 5 years ago we hired a campervan and arrived at 4 p.m on the Wednesday afternoon with about a 5 minute walk to gate c...

This time we arrived at 1 on p.m on Wednesday and had to park the caravan 20 minutes away from gate c. Clearly taking campervans and caravans to the festival has taken off in a big way these past 5 years.

We did a count of the vans in our field (E17). Roughly (and it was rough - counting the rows and the average for each row) 700 vans. At £75 per vehicle. Ours was not the biggest field by any stretch (the one next to ours was more than twice as big). At least 10 fields, probably more actually.

When you start to tot it up the figures gets rather mind boggling. Just for parking a caravan in a field.

Glastonbury = cash cow.

I wish they'd funnel some of the money into emptying the litter barrel things on site more regularly. For a festival that claims to be green, litter was a big problem.

Access problems - bogs get priority but they aim for least traffic as possible which with as many people on site as there are is a major safety issue. Having said that the bins and some piles did seem worse than usual.

This year the parking grounds were open on Tuesday night, but not the main festival site. People were allowed to arrive on Tuesday night but not camp nor enter the festival site. They were allowed to stay in their cars and then enter the site on Wednesday morning - this may have accounted for some of the extra campervans.

People were queueing up from 5am on Wednesday morning. My friends experienced no significant traffic queues on Wednesday, arriving at 9am. However, they then had to queue for 4 hours as pedestrians as the entrances and ticket-checkers were overwhelmed. May have something to do with the England game on Wednesday afternoon.

I turned up on Friday and had no traffic nor pedestrian queueing to do. Of course, the tent I was staying in was already pitched, or else I would have struggled to find a pitch.

p.s. Using the west side always seems better for the queues.

p.p.s. Except maybe for last year when some of my friends were in a 5 hour traffic jam to get to the site from the M5 :/