House Price Crash Forum
Damik

How To Sort Out The Benefits And Housing Allowance

How to sort out the benefits and housing allowance issues

1) All benefits and housing allowances will be canceled

2) Councils will be required to provide anybody (who asks) with a subsidised/protected job (cleaning the streets, helping kids crossing the road, just anything meaningful, but it would be called a job ...).

The subsidised/ protected job would pay the minimal wage (obviously).

3) Mothers with children or disabled people would have reduced working hours or type of work. E.g. blind or people or on wheel chairs would be allowed to do the something (again anything meaningful) from home.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorted out. Everybody would be required and motivated to work.

Nobody would be forced to divorce and have 15 children with 16 different fathers. Everybody would be looking to get a normal job and earn more money.

People who like this lifestyle would be economically motivated to do not have 15 children.

People working and earning would feel rewarded.

If you like the idea please speak with your local MP!

2) Councils will be required to provide anybody (who asks) with a subsidised/protected job (cleaning the streets, helping kids crossing the road, just anything meaningful, but it would be called a job ...).

3) Mothers with children or disabled people would have reduced working hours or type of work. E.g. blind or people or on wheel chairs would be allowed to do the something (again anything meaningful) from home.

Nobody would be forced to divorce and have 15 children with 16 different fathers. Everybody would be looking to get a normal job and earn more money.

People who like this lifestyle would be economically motivated to do not have 15 children.

Whether soemthing at this end of the scale would work I doubt.... for instance there are genuinely diabled people who we wouldn't be able to find work for, there are people who are genuinely incapacitated for whom it might be difficutl to work, and lets not forget you have to find the work for them to do, which doesn't grow on trees and sacking current govt employees to provide the slots clearly is a non-starter etc ect..... but I do think there is a role for saying people should work ( at min wage) for their benefits as a principle and then see which sections it can be made to work for... the something for nothing culture ( as opposed to the genuine support for those in need cuture) is definately somehting that needs to change

Damian,

What would you do about sickness benefit? I belong to a group for people disabled with a neurological disease. Many of our members are wheelchair or bedbound and cannot leave their homes? Some would love to work but there is no interest in this group from employers. I know because I have helped people to try and find work.

Could you include incentives to give employers a reason to employ us or and public transport that is assessible so we can get to work?

How much would it cost to set up and administer the scheme you have suggested? An infrastructure will be needed. Public transport to get all these people to the "jobs" and I imagine a huge structure of public servants to set it all out and run it. Who will pay for this and how much?

Edited by Flopsy

Damian,

What would you do about sickness benefit? I belong to a group for people disabled with a neurological disease. Many of our members are wheelchair or bedbound and cannot leave their homes? Some would love to work but there is no interest in this group from employers. I know because I have helped people to try and find work.

Could you include incentives to give employers a reason to employ us or and public transport that is assessible so we can get to work?

How much would it cost to set up and administer the scheme you have suggested? An infrastructure will be needed. Public transport to get all these people to the "jobs" and I imagine a huge structure of public servants to set it all out and run it. Who will pay for this and how much?

As per my original post:

Mothers with children or disabled people would have reduced working hours or type of work. E.g. blind or people or on wheel chairs would be allowed to do the something (again anything meaningful) from home.

so this scheme would simulate the private job market in the cases it fails ...

the idea is that anybody who can not find a real job for any reason would get this opportunity ....

You plan fails at the second hurdle I'm afraid. LHA (housing benefit) is already topping up peoples rents at the moment.

You plan fails at the second hurdle I'm afraid. LHA (housing benefit) is already topping up peoples rents at the moment.

it would be canceled and people would have to pay the rent from their £6.5 per hour job as anybody else ...

Damian,

At the moment a private company called ATOS does the medical examinations. This is very expensive and flawed. Our members often appeal their findings and win at Tribunals. Sometimes it takes more than one tribunal. The costs keep mounting.

Who are you suggesting would make the judgment on what disabled can do?

How much would it cost to administer this system and how would we taxpayers pay for it.

Why not encourage employers to actually hire disabled people and offer jobshares/part time work?

Welcome to slavery!

Instead, why not require the government to have to provide EVERYONE with a suitable roof over their head, regardless of how much they earn.

People get stuck on benefits not because they enjoy it but because if they went out to work their rent would consume 100% of their income.

The problem isn't the benefits, it's the rent.

Edited by TaxAbuserOfTheWeek

Guest happy?

Could you whip us up a cure for AIDs too?

it would be canceled and people would have to pay the rent from their £6.5 per hour job as anybody else ...

Then you will have a large number of homeless families on your hand. Is that what you want?

Welcome to slavery!

Instead, why not require the government to have to provide EVERYONE with a suitable roof over their head, regardless of how much they earn.

People get stuck on benefits not because they enjoy it but because if they went out to work their rent would consume 100% of their income.

the rents are high because of the benefit system which gives people entitlement for properties they would never be able to earn for ...

Edited by damian frach

Then you will have a large number of homeless families on your hand. Is that what you want?

well we would have to go for some gradient process ... but I do not see any people on the streets now and I suppose that councils can require to use empty properties in the future ...

Damian,

At the moment a private company called ATOS does the medical examinations. This is very expensive and flawed. Our members often appeal their findings and win at Tribunals. Sometimes it takes more than one tribunal. The costs keep mounting.

Who are you suggesting would make the judgment on what disabled can do?

How much would it cost to administer this system and how would we taxpayers pay for it.

Why not encourage employers to actually hire disabled people and offer jobshares/part time work?

1) So we can probably continue with ATOS and try to improve it .... ATOS work would be maybe simpler and cheaper as they would just focus on a type of job ..

2) This can be difficult in recession, but I support it ...

Edited by damian frach

<snip>

Wrong focus IMO.

The problem is income rather than jobs.

Most people work because they have to, not because they get a kick out of it - paradise for many would be winning the lottery and never having to work again.

As others have already replied - by reducing the costs of living, you can resolve much of the problem around benefits. And after that, you can start yet another whole new thread about Citizen's Income... :)

the rents are high because of the benefit system which gives people entitlement for properties they would never be able to earn for ...

NO

The reason rents are high is the demand requires it, housing benefit doesnt increase prices, its just a Pr stunt to prepare people into accepting the current policies, hiding the one policy that benefits all more social homes means more people in working meaning less pay and a more competitive economy.

Doing what you suggest will turn britain in south africa and you dont want that, when people have nothing to lose they do anything, this will affect people that work etc... crime rates would rise over night.

Edited by crash2006

there are people who are genuinely incapacitated for whom it might be difficutl to work,

There are some people who are genuinely disabled and in pain and on benefits who are well enough to spend all day on facebook or gadding about.

Should they work?

Should anyone capable of some work have to do something?

Welcome to slavery!

Yes, the workers are being enslaved by the bankers, the public sector, and those on benefit.

I am not sure how the government would provide a roof for everyone. How would they allocate the best houses out? How much tax would they have to raise to pay for it?

Some get stuck on benefits whilst they are doing other jobs. If they had to pay their rent out of their income rather than benefit, that would be good, as they would then have a choice, work or no home.

The problem is the benefits. The rent only appears to be a problem because of the huge government subsidies keeping it so high. Without them, rents would be much lower.

NO

The reason rents are high is the demand requires it, housing benefit doesnt increase prices, its just a Pr stunt to prepare people into accepting the current policies, hiding the one policy that benefits all more social homes means more people in working meaning less pay and a more competitive economy.

Doing what you suggest will turn britain in south africa and you dont want that, when people have nothing to lose they do anything, this will affect people that work etc... crime rates would rise over night.

1) I disagree with you

2) I did spend some time in SA ... :)

Yes, the workers are being enslaved by the bankers, the public sector, and those on benefit.

I am not sure how the government would provide a roof for everyone. How would they allocate the best houses out? How much tax would they have to raise to pay for it?

Some get stuck on benefits whilst they are doing other jobs. If they had to pay their rent out of their income rather than benefit, that would be good, as they would then have a choice, work or no home.

The problem is the benefits. The rent only appears to be a problem because of the huge government subsidies keeping it so high. Without them, rents would be much lower.

+1

There are some people who are genuinely disabled and in pain and on benefits who are well enough to spend all day on facebook or gadding about.

Should they work?

Should anyone capable of some work have to do something?

This is really the crux of the issue. How do you determine who has need, and who does not?

FWIW, I would set up a 'disability fund' to be admistered by doctors. The fund would have a payout maximum for an indvidual, and a total maximum payout fund.

The doctors would then assess you for your disability of health problem, and compare you with others, and give you a score. The higher the score, the more money you would get.

And to stop everyone getting the maximum, the payout would be equal to your score divided the total score of everyone who is claiming. So if somone else came along and claimed, they would reduce everyone else's payout by a bit. Knowing this, the doctors would want to ensure that the real case of need scored highly compared to those with a bit of depression.

Drawback of the scheme is that your payout from time period to time period might change as people entered and left the scheme. So you couldnt budget exactly. Doctors might not like doing it, but I say tough, do it or these people get no payout.

It would work if there were regular cross comparisons from geographic area to area.

Please find any other flaws if you can.

The doctors would then assess you for your disability of health problem, and compare you with others, and give you a score. The higher the score, the more money you would get.

We have the technology to find out how active people are. The assessment doctors just need access to facebook records to read about how the ill are in pain or on their next trip to a festival.

I think the finding a job that's right for them is the hard bit... A lot of people would be able to do something on flexible hours at home - but a rigid time job at a different location is harder for them to manage.

Anyone who can drag themselves to a concert though should be able to go to a job.

Perhaps send everyone on benefits a free concert ticket or two and then take benefits off those who turn up?

We have the technology to find out how active people are. The assessment doctors just need access to facebook records to read about how the ill are in pain or on their next trip to a festival.

I think the finding a job that's right for them is the hard bit... A lot of people would be able to do something on flexible hours at home - but a rigid time job at a different location is harder for them to manage.

Anyone who can drag themselves to a concert though should be able to go to a job.

Perhaps send everyone on benefits a free concert ticket or two and then take benefits off those who turn up?

so the councils would be required to provide the subsidised one if the job market fails you for any reason ...

part time or full time; from office, street or home ....

in some cases just to be maybe a crime alert watch ... anything meaningful what can be called a job ...

so the councils would be required to provide the subsidised one if the job market fails you for any reason ...

part time or full time; from office, street or home ....

in some cases just to be maybe a crime alert watch ... anything meaningful what can be called a job ...

Not councils at all.

There's call centre work which could be outsourced to homes (I think a little is done this way but not much)

I suspect it's not cheaper than paying someone on the otherside of the world though, so companies would need persuading...

Unless there's a extra tax on companies using outsourcing?

A lot of people I know are looking at outsourcing their business abroad and I think it's wrong on so many levels.