House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CrashedOutAndBurned

Is The Whole Of England Complete Shit?

After the world cup failure is there anything we are good at?

Thay say we're good at nuMeeja but all I see is untutored, half-arsed ***** in cinema, art, graphic design, etc.

They say we punch above our weight in pop music but how much of a pisstake were Gorillaz at Glasto and how much pop is a watered down version of US r'n'b or chug, chug, chug landfill indie?

They say we have good techie r'n'd shops but ARM employs a relative handful of people with most of the benefit going to far-east licencees.

They say London is a major financial centre but it's now welfare scrounger number one.

So other than selling bricks to each other with bigger and bigger bank loans what do we really do well?

So other than selling bricks to each other with bigger and bigger bank loans what do we really do well?

Berate ourselves.

Guest Noodle

Thay say we're good at nuMeeja but all I see is untutored, half-arsed ***** in cinema, art, graphic design, etc.

They say we punch above our weight in pop music but how much of a pisstake were Gorillaz at Glasto and how much pop is a watered down version of US r'n'b or chug, chug, chug landfill indie?

They say we have good techie r'n'd shops but ARM employs a relative handful of people with most of the benefit going to far-east licencees.

They say London is a major financial centre but it's now welfare scrounger number one.

Ummmmm . . . probably no, yes.

Guest anorthosite

[Now the trouble starts.

I'm calling knock out a scotsman monday.

Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough. Besides, we fight back and I've heard you lot are lousy at defense.

No, but I agree we need to wind our necks in a bit sometimes (not least in the bloody football).

Englands ok really but as a population we are far too self-analytical IMPO.

Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough. Besides, we fight back and I've heard you lot are lousy at defense.

Oh come on. Have you ever seen a Scot who was not drunk? You'd never be sober for monday. Not this Monday anyway.....

Guest Noodle

No, but I agree we need to wind our necks in a bit sometimes (not least in the bloody football).

Englands ok really but as a population we are far too self-analytical IMPO.

Splitter!

Guest anorthosite

Oh come on. Have you ever seen a Scot who was not drunk? You'd never be sober for monday. Not this Monday anyway.....

I never drink. And before you get confused, I'm not Glaswegian.

I don't know, as I said on the England Germany thread, I'm Australian ... or was that Walesian, no Walesman, no Welshman - Welsh! Yes, I'm Welsh. Nothing to do with me.

Guest anorthosite

But going back to the original question, I'd say no, the whole of England is not complete shit

The Lake District is quite nice.

i lived many years in england, and i honestly think the english have a much bigger pub and social club culture than the scots. i will say it was the north of england i lived in, and im from the highlands in scotland not some sinkhole estate from glasgow that in general gives many people the impression of scots as drunken hooligans that have heart attacks at 40 and eat fried mars bars.

scotland is very diverse an area with many very respectable people not the pisspots you see lying in the streets in london that embarrass more scots than they do anyone else.

Guest Skinty

The trouble is that many things good about England and also the United Kingdom have either been sold off or traded for short term economic gain. Take university for example. It still attracts many foreign students but this won't continue now that the degree has been cheapened and universities have been turned into polytechnics. Take science. The UK punches above its weight with the number of papers it produces but this won't continue for too long now that the higher education has been allowed to degrade so much and there are fewer scientists being trained up. Culture is another thing that has been traded in for short term economic gain through unfettered migration.

Essentially the problem is that everything that is good is taken for granted and only missed once it is gone. A healthy country needs to maintain itself and look to the future.

I'll fuggin' kill ye, ye bassa!

.....although you've got a point about THIS Monday.....

fighting scot.jpg

post-20877-12776598888559_thumb.jpg

I think one of the problems with this is country is "If it's not value for money, it's useless.

We have a lot of talent and skills here which are undervalued. The health service has been turned into a political foot ball game and of course we have England as players. One thing about the coilition is that they have got ridden of some of the Blairite on the back of fag paper ill thought out legislation that has fairly p**ed anyone off who wants to move on.

Unfortunatly, I'm not hopeful that the Cons are going to make the right choices

Losing?B)

The trouble is that many things good about England and also the United Kingdom have either been sold off or traded for short term economic gain. Take university for example. It still attracts many foreign students but this won't continue now that the degree has been cheapened and universities have been turned into polytechnics. Take science. The UK punches above its weight with the number of papers it produces but this won't continue for too long now that the higher education has been allowed to degrade so much and there are fewer scientists being trained up. Culture is another thing that has been traded in for short term economic gain through unfettered migration.

Essentially the problem is that everything that is good is taken for granted and only missed once it is gone. A healthy country needs to maintain itself and look to the future.

I concur. when you look at how postgraduate medical education has been downgraded since the EU qualifications had to be accepted by the medial royal colleges towards Consultancy, it is a recipe for disaster. We've now sunk to the level of the lowest common denominator.:(

Just beat the Aussies at cricket, again. 3 ODIs on the trot. First 2-team (not triangular poop) series win against them since 1977!

Ronald-McDonald-at-Burger-King-1202.jpeg

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Classic

I was thinking of the self-flagulation you see in the middle east. We might be good at that - it's kind of kinky.

Middle class effete jock offers out poster on internet shock.

Have it you ponce.

what do we really do well?

• Sarcasm & irony.
  • Motor racing technology (think Lotus, Williams, McLaren, Lola etc).
  • Pharmaceuticals (legal ones that is).
  • Beer (making and drinking thereof).
  • Computer games.
  • Self-flagellation.
  • TV & radio programmes.
  • Oil exploration (with some notable recent exceptions of course).
  • Cycle time-trialing.
  • State surveillance of private individuals.
  • Rugby & cricket.
  • Military special forces.

Is that enough?