House Price Crash Forum
Darkman

Unemployed To Be Told 'move To Parts Of The Country Where There Are Jobs'

Spot the glaring problem with this idea, relevant to this site :ph34r:

More jobs in London, so everyone piles into London.

Remind me again what relative property prices are like in London? So the person goes to the top of the housing list, so what? How many council homes have we been building....

Unemployed to be told 'move to parts of the country where there are jobs'

The coalition Government is drawing up controversial plans to relocate the unemployed to areas of the country where there are jobs, it has emerged.

Work and Pensions Secretary Iain Duncan Smith said he would be bringing forward proposals to make the workforce "more mobile".

The comments, in an interview with the Sunday Telegraph, echo the words of then-Tory minister Norman Tebbit in 1981 when he suggested the unemployed should "get on your bike" and look for work.

Mr Duncan Smith, the MP for Lord Tebbit's former parliamentary seat of Chingford, said ministers wanted to encourage jobless people living in council houses to move out of unemployment blackspots to homes in other areas, perhaps hundreds of miles away.

He insisted millions of people were "trapped in estates where there is no work" and could not move because they would lose their accommodation.

The proposed scheme would allow them to go to the top of the housing list in another area rather than giving up their right to a home.

link

What's pathetically comical about this is that just 1 week ago Osborne announced he was going to seek to rebalance the economy across the regions via the N.I. system.

He didn't say he also meant subsidising housing in London and SE.

It's beyond parody now really.

The same thinking occurs in China creating mega cities and slums, Shenzhen in China is a gigantic sprawl of 160million people living either in dorms or 2x5 boxes.

The effect it has had is to annilate wages to subsistance levels and has led to systematic exploitation. The foxxconn city or should that be shity is a prime example of this. Foxconn owns EVERYTHING the shops and all the supplies. So the workers end up spending close to 100% of their wages on food and living costs meaning they get nothing.

London is already unplesant enough, imagine 60 million people living inside the M25. It'd be horrendous. Especially since population density will have to be much higher in various areas to make up for those who have money like in HK.

The Malthusian in me says send the poor masses off to war.

People will just have to start dying in order to bring back the latter half of the 20th centuries standard of living.

Simple.

At which they would question why and turn round and shoot their commanding officers and desert enmasse.

At which they would question why and turn round and shoot their commanding officers and desert enmasse.

Yes they could, but not in my army, haha.

Still, people need to start dying, big style. How it is done is out of my control, and yours.

Why don't they just move White hall and parliament to the north of England, problem solved.

Best to check if there are ANY jobs for these people to do somewhere else! I don't think this policy will work out. Too many problems with it. Perhaps we should see if they would like to work in the gravy train of Brussels? The Eurozone is brilliant isn't it and full of wealth creating French and Germans?

The Malthusian in me says send the poor masses off to war.

People will just have to start dying in order to bring back the latter half of the 20th centuries standard of living.

Simple.

Thank you for volunteering

and which areas of the uk do we actually have an abundance of jobs? Certainly not here in the south east. London? I don't think so.

Or maybe they are saying move abroad? Asia?

Best to check if there are ANY jobs for these people to do somewhere else! I don't think this policy will work out. Too many problems with it. Perhaps we should see if they would like to work in the gravy train of Brussels? The Eurozone is brilliant isn't it and full of wealth creating French and Germans?

you beat me too it while I was typing!

this is HPC dynamite....!!!

Not really

Government has two choices fundermentally, let prices fall or maintain the prop.

What are the costs of letting prices fall:

(i)all the repo'd punters must be rehoused ie the goverment must pay rent

(ii)must bail out the banks again due to 2nd wave of losses

(iii)reduce gowth/ suffer a massive depression leading to further massive borrowing ie meltdown

What are costs of maintaining the prop:

(i)paying the mortgage interest for the failed borrowers (much less than the rent in (i) above)

The prop avoids meltdown, bailout2 and the prospect of a depression & it's cheaper to just pay the interest NOT rehouse punters

Of the 2 choices ie a stable immoral system or a unstable moral system the government will choose the later.

Over time through policy the protected will slowly be made to pay, in the meantime savers will be forced to continue the bailout.

Mortgage lending will all but stop for FTB's, housing activity will go into almost suspended animation over the medium term.

Savers will loose 20% over the next 5 years, house prices remain static, stocks remain static, once immoral stability is restored gold drops fast - stagflation.

What a great idea split up families tell them to relocate. Visit home on a £140 return ticket once a month. Certainly and wonderful way help nurture your child via the phone. Perhaps there will be an unforeseen rise in milk delivered by the milkmen.

It is still fantastic to see so few of the shady characters from the hard sell media to bankers are effected, yet the politicians wish to tare up the very fabric of what little social circle the newly unemployed have. Will we have our land girl/gents all over again?

I don't think this anything about jobs. It's about moving people out of housing benefits in London. Even if there are no jobs in Doncaster, it's a hell of a lot cheaper to house someone than London.

They will probably say that people will lose their benefits, unless people move to some far off place. Then when they don't hang onto the job, they're put into cheaper housing than where they started.

TBH though, we need to move jobs out of London. We can't keep relying on the public sector to feed employment into places outside of the south east. I get the feeling we are gutting this country from the inside out, with 'The City' dictating terms for the rest of us. They need to stop supporting the financial industry, let the cost of running a business collapse, then rebuild from the outside of London, working in... not the other way around.

What a great idea split up families tell them to relocate. Visit home on a £140 return ticket once a month. Certainly and wonderful way help nurture your child via the phone. Perhaps there will be an unforeseen rise in milk delivered by the milkmen.

It is still fantastic to see so few of the shady characters from the hard sell media to bankers are effected, yet the politicians wish to tare up the very fabric of what little social circle the newly unemployed have. Will we have our land girl/gents all over again?

Labour has (once again) exposed the flanks of the poor and powerless to the borderline perverts / sadists who inhabit some unpleasant portions of conservatism. To learn the lesson, though, It is important to understand that labour has done this and that labour has done it before.

Perhaps the parents should sell up and move with them too? Alternatively, why don't the kids live with their parents? If we're talking about living in London, being jobless, then it's bloody expensive to support people with housing in this environment.

Maybe it's time everyone mucked in a bit, rather than trying to assume things will just get better, without changing anything. We just can't afford to do this any more.

Now there's a poll question I would like to see on this forum : "Have you ever moved location for work reasons?" or similar.

Like a lot on here, I bet, I studied and worked at numerous different cities in the UK. In twenty years I have worked in London, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Birmingham, Bournemouth, Liverpool, Cardiff, Milton Keynes and Colchester. In short, I've gone where thr money is. I do not come from a wealthy family but have never once been a burden to the state, my taxes having massively outstripped the value I've received back.

Why should benefits claimants with no responsibilities other than themselves be paid to languish in the town of their choice at the expense of the tax payer when there is work available elsewhere?

I think the Tories have a point. Anyone receiving benefits who refuses to relocate without good reason should have their benefits removed. Throughout the ages, those in Britain who really did want work would move to find it. If state benefits have blunted the ambition to succeed through one's own efforts then they must be reformed.

Edited by Dave Spart

Pathfinder, hundreds of thousands if not millions of people in the UK already do have to work away from home during the week only to see their families at weekend. Hundreds of thousands if not millions of other people in the UK also commute vast distances on a daily basis to and from work.

It just goes to show where your priorities lie.

F*ck those who socialize at the tax payer's expense, the lazy self-pityng c*nts.

Edited by Dave Spart

Perhaps the parents should sell up and move with them too? Alternatively, why don't the kids live with their parents? If we're talking about living in London, being jobless, then it's bloody expensive to support people with housing in this environment.

Maybe it's time everyone mucked in a bit, rather than trying to assume things will just get better, without changing anything. We just can't afford to do this any more.

Who is going to buy the parents house. What will it do to house prices in those areas flagged as an anti-welfare support zone. If you were a renter, white collar worker, a fine upstanding citizen, would you risk it if housing benefit was not an option? Who is going to support the GP as his sign on list drops off a cliff? Will council tax be decimated as the part time, one person in a couple working has to move as well? This whole thing smells like keep London going at all costs fk the rest.

Instead of telling people they have to move I would love someone to ask a question in Whitehall, 'Um please sir? why are there no jobs?'.

But it is safe to assume they know all to well.

Pathfinder, hundreds of thousands if not millions of people in the UK already do have to work away from home during the week and only see their families at weekend.

But are they earning £6.38 a week? Even 35 mile train trip costs £25 each way no 5 day return options. Sure your 25-30k office worker could pull it off but those guys would commute for 2 hours if the job was there anyway.

edit bit - I should add I commuted 57 miles around 1995 starting on 10k it was the hardest thing I ever did. 3hr commute each day with £10 spending money left over a week, were talking buying a cd, or a meal out in burger king or cooking 1 special meal.

Now those starting salaries are 14k but the train ticket is £366.00 a month which leaves you with no money for council tax, bills, food, and this is assuming rent is the same. Even those willing to work long range are burned by travel costs.

Edited by pathfinder