House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dubsie

Torys Are Living In Fairy Land

http://m.telegraph.co.uk/;s=aiBBjDbokzUpMzIP7qHl9g01;feed=news/article/7856349/

Torys plan to force long term unemployed to move to where the work is. Sounds great idea but when you consider how immobile these workers are this task is virtually impossible. Lots of long term unemployed don't have a driving licence let alone a car. Most don't have the money to buy a train ticket let alone a deposit for a flat or house. Most of the work is in London where wages don't cover the rents. It's fairy land politics.

For me this is just another example of how far removed the politicians are from the real world.

It's called survival of the fittest - just as it was under new Labour and always has been and always will be.

Survival of the fittest is still the way job recruitment works. Despite equality legislation, employers are still allowed to discriminate on grounds of ability, after all.

Torys plan to force long term unemployed to move to where the work is. Sounds great idea but when you consider how immobile these workers are this task is virtually impossible. Lots of long term unemployed don't have a driving licence let alone a car. Most don't have the money to buy a train ticket let alone a deposit for a flat or house. Most of the work is in London where wages don't cover the rents. It's fairy land politics.

For me this is just another example of how far removed the politicians are from the real world.

Migration in order to get a job is an aeons-old way for people to get on. Moving to factory towns, moving to the country during harvest. In the US, moving from the southern States to the north such as Chicago. Helping people do that seems to be not just sensible, but bloody obvious. In addition, the Government in the budget set up significant incentives to encourage businesses to set up and create employment outside the South East. Seems to me they're doing a lot more for people who want to work (not the same as "the unemployed") than the last lot of sheisters.

It will be a difficult policy to put into effect. Not likely that many would move and if they did it will be primarily to the south east where too many of us live already. If you did it in any numbers then the strain on local resources would be a problem. Much better to encourage industry to move to them with incentives.

If anyone is divorced from the real world.... I've spent a decent amount of my life in council accommodation, as have my siblings. My brother now is a technical manager and does plenty of commuting in his company car. I currently spend between 4 and 5 hours a day travelling to and from work. Immobile? Tell me your local and I'll come around and explain nicely what garbage you're spouting (ok I'll buy you a pint at the same time to compensate for the dressing down). There are plenty of hard-working folk up and down the country and all they need is opportunity.

As for "most of the work is in London where wages don't cover the rents" - that is the whole point of this measure - it allows workers to find council accommodation in London for typically 80 or 100 a week. All jobs will more than cover this amount of rent. The drawback with this scheme is there probably won't be many council homes, if any, available in London. Even so, I applaud a bit of positive policy from the Tories. I'm sure we can expect a lot worse to come.

It's called survival of the fittest - just as it was under new Labour and always has been and always will be.

Survival of the fittest is still the way job recruitment works. Despite equality legislation, employers are still allowed to discriminate on grounds of ability, after all.

non sense, we are talking about a policy that won't work. How do you move a long term unemployed family to the south east and find them work. Does the tax payer pay for the move with the hope an employer offers them work. Do we still have labour shortages in the south east?

Just an interview in London will cost in the region of 140.00 in train fare from the north. Remember last min tickets fares are not regulated and most interviews for low skilled work give very little notice.

If anyone is divorced from the real world.... I've spent a decent amount of my life in council accommodation, as have my siblings. My brother now is a technical manager and does plenty of commuting in his company car. I currently spend between 4 and 5 hours a day travelling to and from work. Immobile? Tell me your local and I'll come around and explain nicely what garbage you're spouting (ok I'll buy you a pint at the same time to compensate for the dressing down). There are plenty of hard-working folk up and down the country and all they need is opportunity.

As for "most of the work is in London where wages don't cover the rents" - that is the whole point of this measure - it allows workers to find council accommodation in London for typically 80 or 100 a week. All jobs will more than cover this amount of rent. The drawback with this scheme is there probably won't be many council homes, if any, available in London. Even so, I applaud a bit of positive policy from the Tories. I'm sure we can expect a lot worse to come.

there isn't enough social housing so they wil be paying private rents. I work daily in social rents and lots of these people never leave the estate. If they own a car it doesn't have insurance or an mot. The policy is won't work unless they build millions more council homes.

"Mr Duncan Smith said the “excesses” of some council tenants living in large homes in expensive areas would end, adding: “We need to exert some downward pressure on this now.” "

"Social cleansing" to keep the hoi polloi out of exclusive areas?

All parties seem to suffer from the delusion that there is sufficient employment for everyone to have jobs. There isn't. The size of the public sector should make that abundantly clear.

The true economy can support a certain number of jobs. This figure is well beneath the working age population of the country.

I think that politicians should accept this and address this truth rather than mess about with job creation and population mobilty measures.

p-o-p

All parties seem to suffer from the delusion that there is sufficient employment for everyone to have jobs. There isn't.

All the immigrants from Eastern Europe and elsewhere seemed to be able to find jobs - perhaps there's less of a shortage than you think.

Guest UK Debt Slave

It's so absurd!

Because THERE ARE NO JOBS.

These people can't see the wood for the trees.

The bottom line is, if you want to create jobs, you have to create the circumstances that allow for entreprise and creativity. We on the other hand have created a society so bound by red tape, punitive taxation, bureaucracy and bull$hit, it's virtually impossible. Add to that the sheer cost of being able to work, transport costs, clothing AND being able to afford a roof over your head WTHOUT state subsidy.

Try and buy a British made TV, a British made toaster, a British made HI-Fi, a British made car even.

Look in classified section of your local newspaper and go to the jobs section. Virtually all the jobs advertised are low paid 'shelf stacker' tye jobs or jobs in the public sector.

There are no fekkn jobs and there's no incentive for Joe Bloggs to 'get on his bike' because the state will stifle any creativity and enterprise with punitive taxation and regulations

Ludicrous.

all this fuss about 'jobs' is a bit annoying.

it's old hat really.

as any fule kno this country's prosperidee comes from buying houses & renting them back to the state.

we don't need this work rubbish.

All the immigrants from Eastern Europe and elsewhere seemed to be able to find jobs - perhaps there's less of a shortage than you think.

lots also on benefits as well plus many

work off the books. There are jobs but not many.

Soon there will be even less jobs.

As stated, I don't see how anyone could object to this. What they are highlighting is that some people live in areas where there is no work, and there will be no work for their lifetimes. They stay there because they have a nice warm house provided cheap by the council. If they decided to move and chase work, then they would run a significant risk of sleeping under a bridge if something went wrong.

All this is suggesting is that if you have "council tenure" in one area, this becomes portable, so you can move to a new area, and at least you are as likely to get/keep a house as you would be in the old area. Ditto in the other direction, there are probably loads of council tenants in London who have retired and would love to move somewhere nicer, but can't.

As to the "there aren't enough jobs" argument, the Poles et al have showed very clearly that there are enough jobs. I was talking to someone yesterday who has a 22 year old son, perfectly fit and healthy, who simply can't be arsed to work. His life on benefits and sponging off his mum is quite acceptable, and he sees no reason to change. I would much rather the benefits he sponges went to a more deserving group of people, and that he was forced (by hunger if necessary) to find work.

Guest BetterOffOnBenefits

Surely you can move the unemployed to wherever you like if you're paying their housing benefit.

Agreed that this plan won't work. A better idea is to just move them out of the way so that working people can live near to work, thus freeing up the roads and rails.

It's so absurd!

The bottom line is, if you want to create jobs, you have to create the circumstances that allow for entreprise and creativity. We on the other hand have created a society so bound by red tape, punitive taxation, bureaucracy and bull$hit, it's virtually impossible. Add to that the sheer cost of being able to work, transport costs, clothing AND being able to afford a roof over your head WTHOUT state subsidy.

Try and buy a British made TV, a British made toaster, a British made HI-Fi, a British made car even.

Look in classified section of your local newspaper and go to the jobs section. Virtually all the jobs advertised are low paid 'shelf stacker' tye jobs or jobs in the public sector.

There are no fekkn jobs and there's no incentive for Joe Bloggs to 'get on his bike' because the state will stifle any creativity and enterprise with punitive taxation and regulations

Ludicrous.

Yes, move them all down to the SE because its not like there are record numbers of unemployed in London.

I guess the sensible measure would be to allow regions to set there own business and income tax levels, creating competition for business and people to move there but that would mean smaller taxes/national state and you cant have that

Torys plan to force long term unemployed to move to where the work is.

What nonsense, force is not mentioned, providing incentives as they have actually suggested will help those that want help out.

All parties seem to suffer from the delusion that there is sufficient employment for everyone to have jobs. There isn't. The size of the public sector should make that abundantly clear.

The true economy can support a certain number of jobs. This figure is well beneath the working age population of the country.

I think that politicians should accept this and address this truth rather than mess about with job creation and population mobilty measures.

p-o-p

Indeed. Not only are their too few jobs there are too few houses. 'Tories try to put quart into pint pot horror!'

Yes, move them all down to the SE because its not like there are record numbers of unemployed in London.

I guess the sensible measure would be to allow regions to set there own business and income tax levels, creating competition for business and people to move there but that would mean smaller taxes/national state and you cant have that

Long term unemployed (ie those who have shown no intention of finding work) should be shipped out of London

Long term unemployed (ie those who have shown no intention of finding work) should be shipped out of London

No i dont think you can blame people for acting in a rational manner and for their own benefit. If you set up a system where it makes more financial sense not to take work because you have a near 100%+ effective tax rate if they do work you cant blame people for being sensible. If you want to address that issue you wont do so without addressing what makes it a sensible rational choice for them.

All this is suggesting is that if you have "council tenure" in one area, this becomes portable, so you can move to a new area, and at least you are as likely to get/keep a house as you would be in the old area. Ditto in the other direction, there are probably loads of council tenants in London who have retired and would love to move somewhere nicer, but can't.

There are schemes already in place to get council tenants especially the elderly to move out of London. They all sound nice, countryside and seaside schemes, and the council will usually throw in moving expenses and some pocket money as well. There is also mutual exchange. The take up: almost no one.

The only way local residents can get a council house in London is if they have severe medical issues or are willing to spend up to 10 years homeless and in temporary accommodation so it is a fantasy that the unemployed from up north have any chance to move into social housing in the south.

It's so absurd!

Ludicrous.

Cameron seems to think that we have something to trade with the Chindians:

http://news.bbc.co.u...uk/10427037.stm

I never realised he was a comedian!

No i dont think you can blame people for acting in a rational manner and for their own benefit. If you set up a system where it makes more financial sense not to take work because you have a near 100%+ effective tax rate if they do work you cant blame people for being sensible. If you want to address that issue you wont do so without addressing what makes it a sensible rational choice for them.

?

I think you're arguing a different point.