House Price Crash Forum

Oh, I Say... Bailed Out Rbs In £800K Wimbledon Junket

HOLA441

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1289857/Wimbledon-2010-Bailed-RBS-800k-Wimbledon-junket.html

The bank bailed out with £20 billion of taxpayers’ money faces fresh fury after agreeing to spend up to £800,000 on lavish hospitality for executives at Wimbledon.

Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) staff are enjoying the perks of a new three-year deal under which they have the run of luxury ‘Suite H’ attached to the famous Court One.

They are able to dine on gourmet food and drink at a free bar offering champagne before watching matches played on the Championship’s second show court.

Last year, when The Mail on Sunday revealed that RBS had paid £300,000 for the use of Suite H for the two-week tennis tournament, the bank said its executives had attended because of existing contractual obligations.

The use of hospitality provoked an outcry, yet it appears executives have decided to ignore public opinion.

The new contract with the All England Club gives the bankers and their clients sole access to the suite for the 13 days of the tournament this year, and for the next two years. The cost this year is £260,000.

Money well spent, we must motivate these bankers to ensure the taxpayer gets its money back.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1289857/Wimbledon-2010-Bailed-RBS-800k-Wimbledon-junket.html

Money well spent, we must motivate these bankers to ensure the taxpayer gets its money back.

I'm happy with this. I'd welcome more, far more, of this sort of thing.

Until enough people get p!ssed off enough, nothing will change.

At the moment Banks 'own' money - not the stuff, the concept. Think about that for a nano second to see the madness of such an idea. A child would tell you it sounds stupid.

HOLA446

this is why you cant bail a private company. i think had they had the time (seen it coming) the gvt could have let them slide and guaranteed deposits instead. closing them down, but it seems they were press ganged into "3 hrs from closing cash machines" and caved in with huge amounts of our cash. it still hasnt been sorted. sort of hushed up in a 'its the recession' talk. but no one says the obvious.

now with this kind of thing and freds 500k annual pension they are surely taking the p1ss.

HOLA447
HOLA448

From the amount of NatWest adverts on telly and in the newspapers I'd guess that 800 grand is about a weeks worth of RBS ad spending.

I don't have a clue how much it costs for a full colour, full page advert in a paper like the Telegraph but I'm willing to bet it's not cheap..... last week I noticed a NatWest advert which ran across NINE pages, NINE f*cking pages in one daily paper ffs.

HOLA449

From the amount of NatWest adverts on telly and in the newspapers I'd guess that 800 grand is about a weeks worth of RBS ad spending.

I don't have a clue how much it costs for a full colour, full page advert in a paper like the Telegraph but I'm willing to bet it's not cheap..... last week I noticed a NatWest advert which ran across NINE pages, NINE f*cking pages in one daily paper ffs.

i went in the nat west with a check. they were trying to give me the old 'financial desk expert' with their stunning 2.9% special reserve super saver fanny shaver account, but i said inflation was 5.5% so it would be an annual loss. they couldnt respond. the statement was above them - WHIP. what kind of financial advisers dont understand the relationship between inflation and interest payments. ?

more like driving around in a purple luton mobile van talking out of their hairy arses.

HOLA4410
I doubt your average teller or clerk in RBS gets to go either.

... and yet they keep right on paying in to their pension pots.

All this anger, and no-one stating the bleeding obvious?

The board only represents their shareholders.

Who both are on autopilot, set to wallet-stuffing mode and full speed ahead.

Because the fund participants who power them won't have it any other way.

HOLA4411

I scanned through the comments and found several readers complaining about the pathetic return on their savings at RBS.

How can people be so stupid? Sitting there complaining about "the nasty bankers", but still giving them their life savings :angry:

HOLA4412

..and i dont think this subject should be off topic.

Agreed. This is absolutely central to the house prices issue. HPI only happened because these sort of excesses were underwritten by the taxpayer. By that I mean, banks were allowed to lend money indiscriminately with no expectation of getting any return of capital or interest from borrowers, but to claim a profit for the gargantuan losses they made in so doing. This profit came from the taxpayer bail-out. Because of the bail-out there is no reform in banking. They are still treating public money as it it's their own (I guess it is their own, because in RBS's case it's a 20+ billion gift from us to them). I suppose it's the same as claiming state benefits and buying a 44 inch plasma screen TV and a holiday in the Seychelles........if the money's given to you, it's yours to use as you like. And once the money's run out you can always ask for more. The country is screwed until people who use and abuse public money are made accountable.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Archived