House Price Crash Forum

We're All In This Together.........

HOLA441

Seems like the new government catchphrase is "We're all in this together" - almost as bad as New Liebor's "It's the right thing to do".

I haven't benefiited from an over inflated public service salary for sitting at meetings for 35 hours a week, haven't had a share of the ridiculous housing benefit payments made to those who would rather sit at home than work, haven't had a share of the bankers bonuses,haven't borrowed beyond my means, etc.

I have, however, seen the interest rate on my modest savings dwindle to a below inflation interest rate, have watched my income drop as taxation levels rise to a ridiculous level, have watched house prices spiral completely out of control, etc.

So, why should we "all be in this together"?

I wasn't part of the process which created this mess, so why should I feel obliged to help?

HOLA442
HOLA443

Seems like the new government catchphrase is "We're all in this together" - almost as bad as New Liebor's "It's the right thing to do".

I haven't benefiited from an over inflated public service salary for sitting at meetings for 35 hours a week, haven't had a share of the ridiculous housing benefit payments made to those who would rather sit at home than work, haven't had a share of the bankers bonuses,haven't borrowed beyond my means, etc.

I have, however, seen the interest rate on my modest savings dwindle to a below inflation interest rate, have watched my income drop as taxation levels rise to a ridiculous level, have watched house prices spiral completely out of control, etc.

I wasn't part of the process which created this mess, so why should I feel obliged to help?

Oh but you were part of the process.

You just didnt "win"

PS get over it!

Edited by expatowner

HOLA444

err, because you live in and under the law of the UK, if you dont feel thats fair or right maybe you should emigrate

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

You have received the benefits indirectly, though to a much lesser degree than the groups you mention. You might not have asked for them, but you received them. This is what it means to be ruled.

HOLA449

err, because you live in and under the law of the UK, if you dont feel thats fair or right maybe you should emigrate

I sometimes think how groups of people might govern themselves if they found themselves in a "Passport to Pimlico" situation. I suspect that in the current economic climate asking for a government grant to run a few trials is unlikely. :)

On a much wider point what legal steps are required if a community/town/region of the UK wanted to proceed to political independence? I know some islands like the IoM, Sark, Lundy etc have some political powers (or at least did have till recently).

HOLA4410

"Why us?"

"Because we're 'ere son. Because we're 'ere."

Well, actually I'm not, but bonus point if you can name the film.

Edited by Live Peasant

HOLA4411

"Why us?"

"Because we're 'ere son. Because we're 'ere."

Well, actually I'm not, but bonus point if you can name the film.

I say we build a wall around the city of London,  forcibly transport all the Civil Servants  and any bankers not in the office that day there and see how long the parasites survive disconnected from the real economy.

HOLA4412
Guest Mrs Bradley

Totally agree. It is all part of thr Marxist credo, IMO: " What's yours is mine, and what's mine's, my own"ph34r.gif

In other words - You don't share in their good times, but they expect you to share in the bad.

Same old - same old.

They also omit to mention that some will be more " in it" than others.dry.gif

Edited by Mrs Bradley

HOLA4413
Guest KingCharles1st

The disconnect between "successful" party leaders, and the people they are addressing, is now so cavernous, it beggars belief that two millionaires can genuinely understand, or truly care, what will happon to Steve and Lindsey when Lindsey gets a pay freeze accumulator, and Steve loses his job.

W-ankers

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Nor did many people, but either way our country voted for Labour 3 times. They always spend too much and leave govt with a deficit. Hopefully all those things you complain of will be put right. That will take another 13 yrs unfortunately.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Guest BetterOffOnBenefits

+1

I'm not a homeowner and so haven't lined my pockets with HPI

Have never had an unsecured loan or been in debt

Didn't ask the bankers to do what they did

Have never voted Labour (and never will)

After 13 years of hardship, I now face the payback?!?!?!?!!

I suppose if George Osborne was a schoolteacher, he's cane the whole class for the misdemeanours of one individual.

"we're all in this together" is newspeak for "we can't punish the banks as they have us by the short n curlies"

Edited by BetterOffOnBenefits

HOLA4418

I suppose if George Osborne was a schoolteacher, he's cane the whole class for the misdemeanours of one individual.

If a bunch of kids (bankers) burn down the classrooms, you're all going to be having lessons in a shed in the car park whether the teacher wants to or not.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

If a bunch of kids (bankers) burn down the classrooms, you're all going to be having lessons in a shed in the car park whether the teacher wants to or not.

and if those bunch or arsonists (the bankers) knew they were untouchable, you'd be in for a dogs life.

HOLA4421

+1

I'm not a homeowner and so haven't lined my pockets with HPI

Have never had an unsecured loan or been in debt

Didn't ask the bankers to do what they did

Have never voted Labour (and never will)

After 13 years of hardship, I now face the payback?!?!?!?!!

"we're all in this together" is newspeak for "we can't punish the banks as they have us by the short n curlies"

even tho I feel it is also not my fault - fact remains I am dependent on the national economy and its competitiveness for my own future, so if a degree of shared pain is necessary to get it back on its feet then that benefits me too. I also anticipate having children and hope for a more prosperous world for them. It's a parliamenteary democracy so we also have to share responsibility for mass voting decisions even if we were in the objectors. Taking responsibility is not the same as taking blame.

Did cave men say 'it's not my fault we haven't established a supply chain yet - why should I go out hunting every day' - no they didn't. they tried to make the most for the future. They planned and suffered and worked.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

even tho I feel it is also not my fault - fact remains I am dependent on the national economy and its competitiveness for my own future, so if a degree of shared pain is necessary to get it back on its feet then that benefits me too.

Pity this principle doesn't apply to bankers bonuses

It's win/win for them

HOLA4425