House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

oldsport

Overrated Films

I know there's been Best Film and Worst Film threads

Has there been a most overrated film thread?

I'm not pretending to be cultured and am not at all a film snob. I like almsot exclusively mainstream stuff, but there's certain hugely lauded mainstream films I just don't get, I'm sure it's the same for everyone.

I'll nominate two for starters

Goodfellas - gets intensely boring and annoying afer the first 45 minutes or so which are great - I saw it was on TV tonight which is what made me think of this

Shawshank Redemption - total pap - like watching a Jeffrey Archer book, if you know what I mean

EDIT Just so you know I'm not a snob, my favourite films are, off the top of my head

Groundhog Day

The Godfather

The Pelican Brief

A Few Good Men

Guest Skinty

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

I rather like chinese kung fu films but it was all imagery and no real substance. The kind of film that is meant to appeal to people who don't like the genre want to see something pretty and ethnic.

Kill Bill. For some reason the high-brows seem to get into a lather about it. Only ever seen bits of it, can't be bothered to watch it from end to end - just seems to me to be formulaic kung-fu and Uma Thurman un-acting.

I rather like chinese kung fu films but it was all imagery and no real substance. The kind of film that is meant to appeal to people who don't like the genre want to see something pretty and ethnic.

+1

+1

'Crouching Tiger Hidden Cat Poo' as I've renamed it.

if you look in unexpected places for beauty you may even see God looking back.

In exploring the meaning and importance of beauty.

Or it might just be a discarded carrier bag on a windy day.

Has there been a most overrated film thread?

Oh man, there are so many contenders. Modern films are so hyped, you can usually expect a turkey if it's gets 4 stars rather than 5 :rolleyes:

The Lovely Bones is a recent example. It was ok I suppose, but nothing special and predictable.

Or it might just be a discarded carrier bag on a windy day.

I guess I could be pretty pissed off about what happened to me...

but it's hard to stay mad, when there's so much beauty in the world.

Sometimes I feel like I'm seeing it all at once, and it's too much,

my heart fills up like a balloon that's about to burst...

...and then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it,

and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything

but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life...

You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry...

Toy Story 3, Top 250: #7

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0435761/

Some films like crouching tiger can be good at the time they are released and then get worse with age, the Lord of the Rings

gradually got worse as it went on to the point it felt like watching a storyboard waiting for something to break the monotony and

hasn't got any better.

90% is story 10% production I think, the best films seem to grow and shrink with alarming speed from nothing to expensive action.

American Beauty was excellent; good pacing, arc and conclusion.

Remember this was in the pre 9/11 world - all sorts of discontent was brewing with the American dream without having some terror / bogey-man to worry about. It's in the same genre as Fight Club, which was also most excellent.

Hated Fight Club too

I loved the book - I've liked most of what Chuck Palahniuk has written - but, agreed, the film doesn't live up to the hype. It's not a bad film, just not a great one.

Modern films are so hyped, you can usually expect a turkey if it's gets 4 stars rather than 5

I hate the way the trailers portray them as life changing experiences. Saw the trailer for "Legend of the Guardians" today and it was just like a lot of other trailers recently, up its own @rse.

Hated Fight Club too

The first rule about not liking "Fight Club" is that you do not talk about not liking "Fight Club".

"I say never be complete, I say never be perfect"

Here's a controversial one for overrated films, "ET: The Extra-Terrestrial". Overrated, sub-Lassie style schmaltz.

There, after 28 years I've said it.

0.jpg

Oy! Spielberg. No!

I hate the way the trailers portray them as life changing experiences. Saw the trailer for "Legend of the Guardians" today and it was just like a lot of other trailers recently, up its own @rse.

The first rule about not liking "Fight Club" is that you do not talk about not liking "Fight Club".

"I say never be complete, I say never be perfect"

Here's a controversial one for overrated films, "ET: The Extra-Terrestrial". Overrated, sub-Lassie style schmaltz.

There, after 28 years I've said it.

0.jpg

Oy! Spielberg. No!

Oh excellent, I thought it was just me. :)

I get looked at as if I have just farted under someones nose when I tell people I don't like that film and as far as I am concerned E.T looks like a hoover attachment.

I'd also like to add Terrence Malik's The Thin Red Line. A film that puts the "P" in pompous and also Lost in Translation though this is partially forgiven as it includes a scene with Scarlett Johansson in her skimpies.