House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheBlueCat

Get On Your Bike

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/conservative/7856349/Coalition-to-tell-unemployed-to-get-on-your-bike.html

So, what IDS is actually saying is that a lack of affordable housing with security of tenure has trapped people in their existing council housing in places where there's no work. His solution is to allow them to go to the top of the list in areas where there are jobs.

It's actually a good set of policies with a stupid headline.

Coalition to tell unemployed to 'get on your bike'

Radical plans to relocate the long term unemployed to areas where there are jobs are being drawn up by the Coalition.

There is nothing in it like this, just a provision whereby a council tenant can move for work and still have a council house.

As the OP said, very odd reporting.

It's actually a good set of policies with a stupid headline.

There is nothing in it like this, just a provision whereby a council tenant can move for work and still have a council house.

As the OP said, very odd reporting.

I haven't read the article, but what will be the provision other than what you do already and that is put your name on the transfer list

The poles managed to 'get on their bikes' without any such incentives.

Obviously an ideal situation is making housing affordable so they dont have to live 12 to a house like the poles.

They also tended to be young Poles without family responsibilities. The ones that did, moved to make enough money to make a decent difference to life in Poland. It is not the same as uprooting a family to be skint in an entirely new place.

I have barely stayed in one place for any decent period of time and have a decent career. I do not recommend it as a choice though.

They also tended to be young Poles without family responsibilities. The ones that did, moved to make enough money to make a decent difference to life in Poland. It is not the same as uprooting a family to be skint in an entirely new place.

I have barely stayed in one place for any decent period of time and have a decent career. I do not recommend it as a choice though.

Young people go off to seek their fortune. A story as old as the fairy tales.

What's new is the perverse incentives and sense of entitlement in the welfare state. Instead of the rich and the poor, we now have the rich, the poor, plus a kept class of welfare beneficiaries.

Guest happy?

http://www.telegraph...-your-bike.html

So, what IDS is actually saying is that a lack of affordable housing with security of tenure has trapped people in their existing council housing in places where there's no work. His solution is to allow them to go to the top of the list in areas where there are jobs.

It seems like an ideal solution until you realise that the South East of England is currently grossly over-populated and the infrastructure cannot meet existing demand.

When you add to that the gesture-politics of capping immigration we saw two days ago it looks more and more like the triumph of spin over substance.

What's new is the perverse incentives and sense of entitlement in the welfare state. Instead of the rich and the poor, we now have the rich, the poor, plus a kept class of welfare beneficiaries.

Sadly, the streets aren't paved with gold any more, so no incentive.:rolleyes:

Its a fine line between moving people to where the work is and slashing benefits to socially cleanse exclusive areas of Londoninium. Are there many parts of the UK where the LHA limits are quite as obscene?

Even in my nice corner of the NW the LHA is well below the sort of money required to rent somewhere nice or in the better areas.

Sadly, the streets aren't paved with gold any more, so no incentive.:rolleyes:

What matters is expectations. Third-world people are sold paved-with-gold stories of the developed world, hence all those boats across the med. Or, at lower contrast, the Rio Grande, or the Limpopo.

I fell for one of those myths myself, when I supposed Cambridge would be a step up on the journey to a better life :wacko:

Yes, I think it's quite insulting to the working poor to lump them in with career scroungers under the banner of poverty.

What matters is expectations. Third-world people are sold paved-with-gold stories of the developed world, hence all those boats across the med. Or, at lower contrast, the Rio Grande, or the Limpopo.

I fell for one of those myths myself, when I supposed Cambridge would be a step up on the journey to a better life :wacko:

An illusion soon shattered when others in your year are going to Paris for the weekend and driving a Lotus when you can't afford a new pair of jeans.

I know IDS has tried to do his homework over the last couple of years but if he'd dug a little deeper and taken some of the bus routes I have over the past few years he'd know that many on welfare are at cro-magnon level and barely speak english, despite being entirely native, to their massive broods. Even the easiest jobs demand a lot these days.