House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tinker

Is Prs Worth Joining?

I know there are a few musicians on here.

Does anyone have any experience of PRS, is it worthwhile and does it give some protection.

It's the signing away your rights bit that makes me wonder.

I know there are a few musicians on here.

Just back from singing in a concert this evening :)

Does anyone have any experience of PRS, is it worthwhile and does it give some protection.

It's the signing away your rights bit that makes me wonder.

Bargepoles spring to mind. But YMMV. DYOR :P

Just back from singing in a concert this evening :)

Bargepoles spring to mind. But YMMV. DYOR :P

Don't get the abbreviations.

Why? (bargepoles).

I've just started putting songs on YouTube, I've done all the copyright stuff (though as the yeas go by you get less paranoid about such things), I suppose it would be nice to find and audience and make some money out of it. I just wondered about the value of PRS and whether it's one of those desperation moves that musicians do.

Good for you with the concert stuff. I'm organising a smallish music festival at the moment at whcih I will make an appearance.

If you have the same name as someone famous it might be.

Once got told of a story where a struggling musician with the same name as someone in a very successful group once got sent their cheque through the post for some 5 figure sum.

So in that sense it might be.

If you have the same name as someone famous it might be.

Once got told of a story where a struggling musician with the same name as someone in a very successful group once got sent their cheque through the post for some 5 figure sum.

So in that sense it might be.

If you sign your rights away to them, don't you then have to pay them a fee every time you perform your own music?

They are a monopolistic parasite, as a performing musician with a CD and I share porca's bargepole reaction.

If you sign your rights away to them, don't you then have to pay them a fee every time you perform your own music?

They are a monopolistic parasite, as a performing musician with a CD and I share porca's bargepole reaction.

knel!

I know Paul McCartney gets a bit miffed about stuff when he sings songs he's written, thinks its the Sony/Michael Jackson thing.

Though I'm reminded of the quote: 'any club that would have me as a member is probably not worth joining!'