House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pl1

Best Products You've Used On The Market

I was going to start a new thread asking "best car vacuum cleaner", but short of being voted for most boring thread on front page, I thought might as well create a list of the best products on the market today to save people wasting money, or put your own requests up.

So I would like to know What's the best car vacuum cleaner?

The best product I have used is Sky Broadband. I've never had a problem with it, even at peak times it's always fast.

Worst product was Digisender Multi-Room view, always inteference and leaves you feeling frustrated. Also in your second room you always need two remote controls on hand, something you don't realise before you buy it (one to change remote channel and one for the volume of the local TV).

Also my Mesh PC is very good but I DO NOT recommend buying from them as they were very, very slow in delivery (a point I found out was an issue for them AFTER I placed the order). It took nearly 9 weeks for the PC to arrive. Bloody good PC though.

Guest Noodle

All my custom made teak furniture. Made locally, by saw and hand using trees struck by lightening. A quarter of the price of MFI chipboard stuff and will last forever.

My 2000 litre cast concrete water jars for £15 each.

Pretty much everything else sucks, especially anything with HP stamped on it.

Guest anorthosite

Raichle hiking boots. Best I've used.

The North Face used to make good outdoor gear, but they've gone too mainstream and Mountain Equipment now make the best fleeces & waterproofs. I've used a Mountain Equipment fleece for almost five years now, and it still looks new.

good well made separates hi-fi electronic components. my Rotel and Denon kit, with a few services over the years, is 20 years old and sounds better than an all in one system, bargain in the grand scheme of things. Speakers seem to lose their sound quality as the cabinets lose strength and speaker units change their elastic characterics and hence impedance, so I buy these new every 5-10 years or so. But if you know what electronics to get then jap as well as good european firms mid range kit is built to last and a bargain 2nd hand.

also - Zanussi table top dishwasher, top of the range, electronic programs. Kicks the pants off cheaper table top dishwashers. It works, they don't, really.

Tesco supermarket deliveries - reliable, deliver what you asked for. Polite.

A TV repair bloke I talked to said Toshiba televisions are the most reliable bar none. I have one but only had it 5 years so the jury is out.

Also Japanase small/mid size hatchbacks - all pretty much the same car, as big as most people need, not too small, reasonably powered on the motorway, passable costs (tho not the cheapest). Very reliable.

Guest Noodle

good well made separates hi-fi electronic components. my Rotel and Denon kit, with a few services over the years, is 20 years old and sounds better than an all in one system, bargain in the grand scheme of things. Speakers seem to lose their sound quality as the cabinets lose strength and speaker units change their elastic characterics and hence impedance, so I buy these new every 5-10 years or so. But if you know what electronics to get then jap as well as good european firms mid range kit is built to last and a bargain 2nd hand.

also - Zanussi table top dishwasher, top of the range, electronic programs. Kicks the pants off cheaper table top dishwashers. It works, they don't, really.

Tesco supermarket deliveries - reliable, deliver what you asked for. Polite.

A TV repair bloke I talked to said Toshiba televisions are the most reliable bar none. I have one but only had it 5 years so the jury is out.

Also Japanase small/mid size hatchbacks - all pretty much the same car, as big as most people need, not too small, reasonably powered on the motorway, passable costs (tho not the cheapest). Very reliable.

IT people say Toshiba laptops most reliable too.

Caterpillar boots, they are almost indestructable and each pair I have bought has lasted me for years. I also rate Swiss army knives and had a lovely one for a long time up until recently when some light fingered little scrote lifted it from my car, may the fleas from a thousand camels infest his rotten arsehole.

Dell computers are also the shiznitz never gone wrong with one of them.

Guest Noodle

Caterpillar boots, they are almost indestructable and each pair I have bought has lasted me for years. I also rate Swiss army knives and had a lovely one for a long time up until recently when some light fingered little scrote lifted it from my car, may the fleas from a thousand camels infest his rotten arsehole.

Dell computers are also the shiznitz never gone wrong with one of them.

Jallatte rigger boots weren't bad, but £80 back then! I found Cat stuff too heavy.

Jallatte rigger boots weren't bad, but £80 back then! I found Cat stuff too heavy.

Yes, Cat boots are pretty hefty (and rather pricey) but I kind of prefer that. Rightly or wrongly I always equate something like a boot being heavy with it being pretty tough and hard to knacker. I bought some army type boots a while back as they had good ankle support and they were very light, good for walking thinks me...

I tapped into unfathomable seams of profanity as they disintegrated about my feet when I was walking up a mountain.

Swiss army knives

hot tip - Victorinox are the brand of original swiss army knife most promoted in the UK. But their equivalent competitor - Wenger - just as good, still Swiss, also 'the original' as both been going for centuries - 10% or so cheaper for same spec knives in the UK - Wenger original swiss army knives

(the Swiss army buy 50% of their requirement for army knives off each manufacturer, neither of them are knock offs)

Siemens washing machine, all high grade materials & made with love. 5yr warranty might as well be 100.

Toshiba 37" LCD from 2007 before they started building to price.

Thinkpad T43P Laptop - as Siemens Washer, except its magnesium alloy so its strong and light.

Samsung microwave that was £200 in 1988. Used daily for 22 years, bulletproof reliability. I can carry it, but not very far.

Bosch semi-pro hammer drill from 1988. Horribly abused at times though an extension & many smaller projects. It will not die!

Can you see the pattern? All 'expensive', none made in China from old biscuit tins.

Buy well, buy once.

I have bought a lot of Chinese 'durables' too but I assume it will only last 2-3 years. Don't like to do that though - not kind to the environment.

Guest Noodle

Siemens washing machine, all high grade materials & made with love. 5yr warranty might as well be 100.

Toshiba 37" LCD from 2007 before they started building to price.

Thinkpad T43P Laptop - as Siemens Washer, except its magnesium alloy so its strong and light.

Samsung microwave that was £200 in 1988. Used daily for 22 years, bulletproof reliability. I can carry it, but not very far.

Can you see the pattern? All 'expensive', none made in China from old biscuit tins.

Buy well, buy once.

I have bought a lot of Chinese 'durables' too but I assume it will only last 2-3 years. Don't like to do that though - not kind to the environment.

My philosophy too. Look for stuff which meets military durability standards for a lot of portable electronics.

hot tip - Victorinox are the brand of original swiss army knife most promoted in the UK. But their equivalent competitor - Wenger - just as good, still Swiss, also 'the original' as both been going for centuries - 10% or so cheaper for same spec knives in the UK - Wenger original swiss army knives

(the Swiss army buy 50% of their requirement for army knives off each manufacturer, neither of them are knock offs)

I thank you sir :) The one I had half-inched was a much loved Victorinox but I'll have a look at the Wenger ones when I go to replace it, I'd never actually heard of those ones before.

Sharp microwave oven and Henry vacuum cleaner - had them both 21 years, still work fine.

Henrys are the best I've never looked back since I got one.

Dyson are terrible, had two break down and the filters need cleaning every day. Emptying bagless

cleaners isn't easy unless you go outside, one winder broke, plastic cracked, pole links broken.

Never buying anything Dyson again.

My BIL loves them but he spends half his time looking after it and drying out the filters.

Vax mach 7, a heavy powerful vacuum cleaner with a 6 year warranty (all vaccum cleaners go wrong so getting one with a 6 year manuf warranty is a good sign), talktalk is good. Google chrome, oh and anything by Brabantia (we have a bin, a bread basket and various kitchen utensils), they are another company that includes mega long manuf warranties and products that keep working and working and working and dont rust/go wrong. Thinking about it any company that offers a mega long warranty tends to produce reliable products.

Brabantia-Lid%20Opening.jpg

464082.jpg

What's the best product for getting a splodge of grease out of a t-shirt (does the material matter?) I got some olive oil on mine.

Is it Vanish or is there a cheaper/easier alternative you can use?

edit: I second about Toshiba laptops

Guest Noodle

Try using washing up liquid - it is after all designed to get rid of grease.

Just got 5 US Gallons of a good washing up liquid for £4.79 (225B).

Guest Noodle

Hey Si1, Wenger make a fair bit of stuff I use and need to replace soon. Do I take it this manufacturer makes quality stuff? Sick of cheapo nasty gear failing and falling apart.

Computer: Aluminium iMac. Just massively trouble free, now over two years old and hasn't put a foot wrong. Now running Snow Leopard, it just seems so stable. If you like being a spod and 'tinkering' with your PCs instead of having a life, stay Windows but if you just want to use your computers, go Mac.

Vacuum: Got a trad-style VAX - not sexy but now around 7 years old. It's just as good as the day it was bought so I guess that's good going. It's also been abused in some seriously dusty spring cleans. My mum's been through about three or four Dysons in the same space of time.

Hasselblad 500 camera and a couple of Carl Zeiss lenses: Over 30 years old and makes everything look like it should be in a gallery. Bought for silly cheap money when DSLRs were just starting to go mainstream, replacing a beat-up old Bronica (another great camera). If digital backs weren't crazy money, I'd barely use a DSLR.

Waterman pen: Just an entry-level one but it's lasted brilliantly and written reams.

HP 2100 Laserjet: Bought used (but new-looking) 7 years ago for £120 and it's been hammered but hasn't so much as coughed once. Mrs uses it as a photocopier with a scanner so it gets pretty darned heavy use. Modern laser printers look like yogurt pots.

Dr Martens: Usually have two pairs on the go. One pair is nearly 8 years old and bought for £19 in TK Maxx - worn almost daily some winters and still on first pair of soles!

Levis 501s: Skinny fit, baggy fit, anti-fit, flabby-fit - sod all that. A pair of jeans is a pair of 501s. I have smarter newish ones and beat up old ones. Always pick them up at those outlet centres that have a jeans or Levis shop.

Shimano stuff for bikes. Just solid, reliable and well made. Exactly what you want in a bike. If you have Juicy 3's change them for Shimano Deore ASAP. So much easier and reliable.

Also got a bike multi tool thing called an Alien. Cost a fair whack - about £40 I think. However solid and does most things. Used it so much and no sign of issues.

NAD amp. ;)

I'll second that.

Got one with no labeled CD input, that's how old it is :)

I leave it switched on all the time, can't imagine the thing ever failing.

Some other things that I find really good VFM:

Le Creuset pans. About 20 years old, bit of wear on the inside but hardly noticeable.

However, I did get them from the factory shop*, the high street prices are ridiculous.

* as in: the shop by the factory.

Shoes: Loakes, Caterpillars, Ben Shermans. All made to last.

If I wanted to get general domestic appliances of a high standard I would, believe it or not, probably get it in Costco.

Costco (despite the name) are never usually cheap, but I have only ever bought very good quality products there. They also have a pretty much no quibble returns policy for about 3 years or something.

They sell Henry vacuums there.. so I imagine they're pretty bullet proof :)