House Price Crash Forum

1990 Football Film

SarahBell

HOLA441

Footballers wages inflation has imo been part of the problem. The mega money has led them to become superstars and have lavish lifestyles.

Agents etc got involved in football and push wages up.

This apparent wealth for kicking a ball about made everyone else want more money.

One night in Turin captures the pivotal moment in history when football became something more than just a game.

I have espoused before how footballers wages need capping too - bring them back to sensible wages - and you only have to look at the massive debt of big clubs to see that the system has been abused massively for profit by someone, but not the ordinary fan on the street.

There's a parallel there for HPI.

So whilst Public sector wages and jobs are being cut we need to do the same to football.

HOLA442

Footballers wages inflation has imo been part of the problem. The mega money has led them to become superstars and have lavish lifestyles.

Agents etc got involved in football and push wages up.

This apparent wealth for kicking a ball about made everyone else want more money.

One night in Turin captures the pivotal moment in history when football became something more than just a game.

I have espoused before how footballers wages need capping too - bring them back to sensible wages - and you only have to look at the massive debt of big clubs to see that the system has been abused massively for profit by someone, but not the ordinary fan on the street.

So whilst Public sector wages and jobs are being cut we need to do the same to football.

Why? People are not forced to pay them.

HOLA443
HOLA444

I think it's a bit more than that, the most important moment was Sky getting involved and throwing huge amounts of money at our clubs.

This resulted in a vast army of foreign nationals to come into our country to do the job better than the technically inferior locals.

Sky has killed the national team considering all the money thrown at the Premier league winning nothing on the international stage is pretty poor, one semi final is not a good return.

The game is slowly being killed because clubs can't be bothered to invest in English youth they'd rather buy off the shelf. Even the Man U and Liverpool academies appear to have stopped working. There are no more Beckham's or Owen's coming through the ranks.

Unlike housing there really is a shortage.

Even the players that we do have don't want to have a football education, none of them play abroad and there are hardly any English managers in foreign leagues or managing foreign national sides.

Not bad for the nation that invented the game.

HOLA445

This resulted in a vast army of foreign nationals to come into our country to do the job better than the technically inferior locals.

Even the players that we do have don't want to have a football education, none of them play abroad and there are hardly any English managers in foreign leagues or managing foreign national sides.

Outsourcing. Works in IT etc, works in football. Eventually, it will come to us all here in this museum piece of a nation.

No hunger for anything other than a couple of hours in front of the flatscreen each day.

HOLA446
HOLA447

Can we outsource the English team to Brazil then?

Excellent idea. We've already outsourced the management why not the employees?

And, while we're at it, lets outsource our whole banking sector to Canada and our government to Germany ( but with management of the public sector outsourced to north Korea - threat of excecution will surely raise efficiency)

HOLA448
HOLA449

I fail to see where the problem is? Buy/found Your own football club and offer the players to work for You, for a minimum wage, pledge all profits made to a charity of their choice.

None whatsoever.

However, there is a parallel with professional golfers/cricketers/boxers/tennis players/etc. And maybe movie stars but I think "movie star" hype begun well before football craze.

See my answer #1 above.

HOLA4410

It would be good if the EPL had more english players , would make England more competitive in the world cups.

I think it would be more helpful if we had more English players in foreign leagues.

How many play in Germany?

How many play in Italy?

How many play in France?

How many play in Spain?

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I think it's a bit more than that, the most important moment was Sky getting involved and throwing huge amounts of money at our clubs.

Sky has killed the national team considering all the money thrown at the Premier league winning nothing on the international stage is pretty poor, one semi final is not a good return.

The game is slowly being killed because clubs can't be bothered to invest in English youth they'd rather buy off the shelf. Even the Man U and Liverpool academies appear to have stopped working. There are no more Beckham's or Owen's coming through the ranks.

Unlike housing there really is a shortage.

Not bad for the nation that invented the game.

Did nothing major before Sky came in.

If anything Sky has been exceptional at what they do, the Beeb should be downsized. Chop chop.

HOLA4413

I've heard people say this so often but they all go a bit quiet when I ask them if we should cap golfers or tennis players pay.

What about pop stars or film stars? Why should you treat footballers differently. I can guarantee the only reason a business consortium pays the Manchester United squad £20 million a year is because they think they will be able to make £20 million or more a year in profit to cover it.

So, why should footballers pay be capped in a free market economy and not other highly paid individuals?

HOLA4414

Did nothing major before Sky came in.

If anything Sky has been exceptional at what they do, the Beeb should be downsized. Chop chop.

Got to the 1990 semi before the game became awash with foreign players.

Plus for the years of nothing at least the players weren't picking up £150k a week. If you have a team full of players getting £100k - £150k a week I don't think it's too unreasonable to expect some silverware for the country.

Because they are the best of the best right?

HOLA4415

The 1990 World Cup was the exposure for Gascoigne and Platt to make big money moves to Italy, just like Lineker's form in 1986 got him lots of dosh to go to Barcelona. I don't think an England player has played abroad since the few Rangers players, Butcher, Stevens, if playing in Scotland is 'abroad.' *

The Premier League has been awash with money since the 90s which is why even average players are better off in England than abroad.

However 'Comic Strip presents... The Yob' had a piece where all players were more interested in talking to their agents on their mobile phones (just got small enough) than about the game. It was about a football yob doing an accidental body swap with a suave foreign player, I think, maybe an artist. I had to look it up, it was 1988. It was obvious money was spoiling the game even then.

Edited: * Owen Hargreaves may still have been at Bayern Munich when he was picked.

Archived