House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

no-way

Tesco Etiquette

Hey All !

So, just wanted to run something by you all.

I got to the checkout at Tesco earlier and had a bit of an incident :huh:

so i started unloading my basket and the lady in front of me decided she had forgot something and dived off to get it.

After i had finished unloading she was still not back so i moved her "divider" and shopping to behind mine.

She arrived back at the point where 75% of my shopping had be scanned (by a real person) and bagged.

She was not very happy about that and chucked her shopping back into he trolley and departed to another checkout, and gave my wife a

pretty dirty look.

Right or wrong

Guest Noodle

Hey All !

so i started unloading my basket and the lady in front of me decided she had forgot something and dived off to get it.

After i had finished unloading she was still not back so i moved her "divider" and shopping to behind mine.

She arrived back at the point where 75% of my shopping had be scanned (by a real person) and bagged.

She was not very happy about that and chucked her shopping back into he trolley and departed to another checkout, and gave my wife a

pretty dirty look.

Right or wrong

Life goes on.

Hey All !

pretty dirty look.

Right or wrong

She was wrong, the amount of times I see this in Chippies when you've bagged their order up and handed it to them and they want more stuff which peeves everybody else in the queue, especially when it is super busy and the chips are budgetted perfectly. used to spoil me day that did.

Hey All !

pretty dirty look.

Right or wrong

I think you had the moral high ground! Unless 75% of your shopping was 3 items and she was gone for 5 seconds or something.

Hey All !

pretty dirty look.

Right or wrong

No. the correct etiquette was to be patient until she returned.

This would then given you the opportunity to nip out to the car park and block her car in with yours.

I'd need a link to your mrs before I could make an informed judgement.

Hey All !

pretty dirty look.

Right or wrong

Summary execution in my book, along with several other shopping crimes, such as dawdleing and getting in my way.

'Bring on the axe!!'

Guest Noodle

Summary execution in my book, along with several other shopping crimes, such as dawdleing and getting in my way.

'Bring on the axe!!'

Shopping must be done at around super-sonic speeds. To a list.

'Bring on the axe!!'

Not putting the divider down, for the next person, when you've finished loading the conveyor belt. The person behind will give you a look like you've just shat in their punnet of strawberries.

'Bring on the axe!!'

The worst crime of all, in my opinion, something I would consider genuinely evil:

When I am shopping with someone else. They go to get stuff. No matter where the ****** I stand to wait with the trolley someone other ******* wants to be there. Stand next to £500 bags of starling colons, and some irritating git will instantly want some.

Yeah thanks

My wife was a bit concerned about it as she doesnt like confrontations etc.

I had a fairly big basket full of items and she only had a few anyway!

If she would of asked me i probably would of said OK, no problem, and just waited for her.

But to be honest i was a bit miffed that she assumed her time was more valuable than mine. ;)

Guest Noodle

Yeah thanks

If she would of asked me i probably would of said OK, no problem, and just waited for her.

But to be honest i was a bit miffed that she assumed her time was more valuable than mine. ;)

As time passes I'm sure the pain of this disturbing event will fade.

A common one in my part of the World is the wife dumps the hubby with an almost empty trolley in a queue and then goes off running around like a squirrel bringing food to the trolley and running off again.

Inevitably the bloke gets to the front of the queue and the wife is still running around.

I usually shoot here at this point.

It is a sense of entitlement that their time is more important than yours which the woman in the OP was actually doing - I am more important than you.

Next time, get a basket from the check-out, dump all her stuff in it and place it on a closed check-out a few spaces away.

Guest Noodle

A common one in my part of the World is the wife dumps the hubby with an almost empty trolley in a queue and then goes off running around like a squirrel bringing food to the trolley and running off again.

Inevitably the bloke gets to the front of the queue and the wife is still running around.

I usually shoot here at this point.

It is a sense of entitlement that their time is more important than yours which the woman in the OP was actually doing - I am more important than you.

Next time, get a basket from the check-out, dump all her stuff in it and place it on a closed check-out a few spaces away.

Is it possible to trace this competitive psychology back to hunter-gatherers?

Try shopping here in Netherlands. They actually use those swinging dividers at the end. One person is still bagging up while the other person's stuff is coming down the other side. Extremely fast and efficient service but you have to play your part or look like a d1 ck.

As time passes I'm sure the pain of this disturbing event will fade.

no, i think it will stay way me forever.

And i will tell the story to my daughter with instructions to tell it to her offsping, and so on and so forth.

My family still has a blood feud with someone who made my grandad wait while they counted 43p in pennies, while shopping in Bejam (1982)

Yeah thanks

If you were buying a pint of anything you should have spilt it and blamed it on this woman. From then on any behaviour towards her would have been socially acceptable,

(Note: this simple rule does not travel well if visiting other countries or cultures)

I'd need a link to your mrs before I could make an informed judgement.

Yea come on OP link and less of these half-measures.

Guest Noodle

no, i think it will stay way me forever.

And i will tell the story to my daughter with instructions to tell it to her offsping, and so on and so forth.

My family still has a blood feud with someone who made my grandad wait while they counted 43p in pennies, while shopping in Bejam (1982)

:lol::lol::lol:

Great answer! Gold star.

I got to the checkout at Tesco

Right or wrong

Wrong. The £20 additional cost of shopping at waitrose is easily justified byt the fact that every time i go there, there are at least 3 checkout where the operator is just sitting there twiddling their thumbs waiting for someone.

Also the "10 items or less" sign says "10 items or fewer" which is gramatically correct

Wrong. The £20 additional cost of shopping at waitrose is easily justified byt the fact that every time i go there, there are at least 3 checkout where the operator is just sitting there twiddling their thumbs waiting for someone.

Also the "10 items or less" sign says "10 items or fewer" which is gramatically correct

Someone with 20-odd items once explained to me with a straight face that it was ok for her to use this queue because she was there with her husband and it was "10 each".

Also had a group of 5 teenagers - each paying separately for their sandwiches - jump in front of me because their friend had "saved a place".

English people losing the art of queuing - it's the end of civilisation oi tells 'e.

Someone with 20-odd items once explained to me with a straight face that it was ok for her to use this queue because she was there with her husband and it was "10 each".

Also had a group of 5 teenagers - each paying separately for their sandwiches - jump in front of me because their friend had "saved a place".

English people losing the art of queuing - it's the end of civilisation oi tells 'e.

Have to confess, in a similar rule-bender, if I'm with my mother we do use the parent and child spaces.

I also still threaten her that I'II call Childline if she refuses to buy me what I want when we're in the shop.

Is it possible to trace this competitive psychology back to hunter-gatherers?

You were in the right.

Here are some other things that are annoying while shopping :

Idiots and their whole family who decide that the entrance is the place to stand and have a conference, nobody else can get in or out.

Putting your trolley length ways across the aisle.

Standing in front of items for more than five minutes trying to make your mind up while others are waiting.

Not taking a ticket for the deli counter and then getting grumpy when you don't get served as you have no ticket.

Walking at 0.1 miles an hour in the middle of an aisle so nobody else can get past you.

Ramming into other people with your trolley, I am six foot three and not invisible.

Kids, they shouldn't be allowed in shops ever. They have two parents one can do the shopping while the other looks after the little blighters or grandparents can or they should shop online.

Shop assistants who get snarky because you want to take something from the display they have just parked a cage full of stuff in front off.

That is definitely a signal of the impending apocalypse. I find that old people are great at pretending that they don't realise there's a massive queue for the self checkouts. And most people would let them get away with it too. Not me though - I'm very good at informing them loudly and politely that there is indeed a queue - I think they'd be less ashamed if I was rude about it.

You would love Hong Kong and china, where there is no word for queuing (well there is it is just that nobody obeys it)