House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
al3ert

Cleaning The Flat After Leaving The Flat

Hi,

I am finishing the contract for my studio flat next week and my landlord has told me (as it is written in the contract) that we have to leave the flat professionally cleaned.

Everything was fine till here, but he insisted on the fact that he has a collegue that can clean the flat for £190, which seems to me abusive. I have told him that I would take another company, that can do the job for £100 or less, but he has told me that the inventory guy, who is supposed to be impartial, but is friend of my landlord, can reject the cleaning status and we would incurre on an extra fee.

I would like to know your opinion about this, because the landlord has been lovely till this point, and I cannot understand why would he charge us for that ammount of money if the standard is much less.

There are companies that gives me the guarantee that the flat is professionally cleaned and if it is rejected by the inventory, then would come to reclean the flat?

Regards,

Al3ert.

Hi,

I am finishing the contract for my studio flat next week and my landlord has told me (as it is written in the contract) that we have to leave the flat professionally cleaned.

Everything was fine till here, but he insisted on the fact that he has a collegue that can clean the flat for £190, which seems to me abusive. I have told him that I would take another company, that can do the job for £100 or less, but he has told me that the inventory guy, who is supposed to be impartial, but is friend of my landlord, can reject the cleaning status and we would incurre on an extra fee.

I would like to know your opinion about this, because the landlord has been lovely till this point, and I cannot understand why would he charge us for that ammount of money if the standard is much less.

There are companies that gives me the guarantee that the flat is professionally cleaned and if it is rejected by the inventory, then would come to reclean the flat?

Regards,

Al3ert.

OFT have ruled that such a clause is void.

Whilst it is acceptable to insist that the flat is cleaned to a "professional" standard, a landlord cannot insist that it is done by a "professional". And, of course, that assumes that it was clean when you moved in. The right to leave "fair wear and tear" means that the contract cannot insist that it is cleaner than when you moved in.

Thanks for your answer.

What do you think about the price? This is for a studio situated in South Kensington, but it seems really high for me.

Hi,

Regards,

Al3ert.

Remember he can't stick to your deposit (it is protected??) without going through the arbitration scheme. If you've used another company, keep the invoice, take photos and make it absolutely clear he will have an adjudication dispute on his hands. I rather think he'll cave in. With a bad grace, probably, but unless you need a reference from him, who cares?

Have a look at this as a starter

http://thedisputeser...es/TDS-E-A4.pdf

There's reams more out on the net (not least in Landlordzone!)

Edited by cartimandua51

Remember he can't stick to your deposit (it is protected??) without going through the arbitration scheme. If you've used another company, keep the invoice, take photos and make it absolutely clear he will have an adjudication dispute on his hands. I rather think he'll cave in. With a bad grace, probably, but unless you need a reference from him, who cares?

Have a look at this as a starter

http://thedisputeser...es/TDS-E-A4.pdf

There's reams more out on the net (not least in Landlordzone!)

Thanks cartimandua51.

It is protected for the agency that let the flat, but the person who is doing the inventory in the check out, is a friend of him (or a trustful person for him) so this is my concern. He is telling me that he can only ensure that the check out is going to be "clean", if I use the cleaner service that he recommends me.

Thanks cartimandua51.

It is protected for the agency that let the flat, but the person who is doing the inventory in the check out, is a friend of him (or a trustful person for him) so this is my concern. He is telling me that he can only ensure that the check out is going to be "clean", if I use the cleaner service that he recommends me.

Well that's obvious rubbish because normal people can tell that the property is clean by looking. The "check out" should certify if the property is clean or not, and if it isn't give you the opportunity to rectify it.

If he chooses not to do this check out properly, that is his problem, not yours.

tim

Thanks cartimandua51.

The adjudication service won't give two hoots. Their only question will be: was the property retuned in a clean state (in THEIR opinion, not the LL or his crony's)? If so, deposit returned.

Hi,

Use the cleaners you want, get a receipt as proof that you have had it cleaned, don;t take any crap. He has no leg to stand on and cannot specify the contractor. And yes, the price he's quoted is a rip off.